Recent ODD diagnosis

T

TBird

Hello, everyone. My son 7 yr old was recently diagnosed with ODD. We have had him on an IEP since November....his behavior was obvious enough that the SD didn't require an official diagnosis. We are fortunate (I believe) to have a SD that has been so willing to work with us and him on getting him on track, but the last couple of weeks we've had some major set backs and we decided that it was time to get to the doctor. We saw the pediatrician yesterday and start seeing the child psychologist next week. The MD wanted to start him on respirdal but we decided to wait on any medications just yet. We want to see the psychologist and research our options a bit more. The MD stated the only reason he was recommending it after our first visit for this is because they have had to clear the classroom a few times during some of my son's rages. Fun times.
I guess I'm looking for any personal input on this medicine... as well as other suggestions....reassurances...a good laugh! We've had him on a lot of different behavior modifications plans through school, but it doesn't take my son long to figure out how to manipulate the plan to his will...he's a smart one. Luckily, at this point in time, he isn't behind acadamically...he's ahead actually. But with the amount of time he has to be sent home, or the days he gets suspended, I'm afraid we'll lose that edge on his education.
Thanks for your time...I look forward to any input and I'll continue to browse the forums for information as well.

BusynMember

Actually, my recommendation is to take him to a neuropsychologist (as opposed to a regular psychologist) for a better diagnostic evalution. These are psychologists who also have extra training in the brain and can often sniff out the stuff even a psychiatrist can miss.

ODD rarely stands alone and if he acted out in such a dangerous way that the kids had to leave the room, it is likely more than ODD. Are there any psychiatric disorders on either side of your son's family tree? Any substance abuse (this can indicate a serious mood disorder). Did your son development his milestones on time? Did he have appropriate eye contact, speech, and cuddling? Does he understand how to relate appropriately to his same age peers? Can he transition well from one activity to another? Does he have any repetitive movements or obsessive interests? Did he play with toys in appropriate ways or did he line them up OR dismantle them OR ignore toys? How is his imagination? Does he ever mimic the things he hears, like TV commercials? Cartoons?

If behavior modification doesn't work, it's likely the wrong treatment for him. Also, since there is no medication for plain ODD, in my opinion it's best to find out what is also going on that is causing the ODD. That way it is easier for us to give you our experiences. Very few kids just have ODD.

Welcome to the board...very sorry you had to be join us though.

Last edited:
T

TBird

Thank you for the reply and I'll definitely take it under advisement for a more specialized evaluation.

In answer to your questions: There is no substance abuse on either side; my nephew has been diagnosed with ADHD and a sensory disorder (and he has learning disabilities that go with that, unlike my son); he does avoid eye contact when speaking unless you remind him; his speech is normal; he shows affection appropriately; transition times are difficult at times... when he is doing something he enjoys, he doesn't want to stop, and that can trigger a fit; he plays with toys appropriately for a boy (he likes gijoes and transformers, cars, etc); no repetitive or obsessive interests that stick out in my mind; he can memorize a commercial, cartoon, book after minimal study (it amazes me sometimes the things he remembers); when asked about his behavior after can tell you what he did wrong and what needs to be done better; he does have a couple of classmates that he considers friends and plays appropriately with at school; he has a great imagination, which also can be a problem because he has a story or excuse for many things.

Thanks again for the reply and I look forward to hearing more input.