Receptive Expressive Language Disorder and ADHD

snees

I have a son who, after many appointments, diagnosis with receptive expressive language disorder and adhd. He is taking Vivanse and doing okay although it tapers off in the afternoon. He is having problems all over the place. He is seven and has a twin sister. I am at a loss of what to do for him. he has been in Special Education since two, Infants and toddlers, special needs preschool, and has lots of services in school. I was volunteering today and he was a MESS. I worry so much of his future and what to do for him. His father's head is in the sand and no help at all. I would like to see if anyone else has a child like this and what is working for them.

InsaneCdn

Just wondering... who gave that diagnosis?
To me, it sounds like trying to nail the least of the challenges, and perhaps ignoring the elephant in the room, so to speak.

BusynMember

Also wondering who is the main professional taking care of his needs. Can you tell us about his early years until now? What was he like as in infant and toddler? Can he relate to his same peers? Any obessive interests? Does he play appropriately with toys or dismantle them or ignore them? When you say "receptive language disorder" do you mean he does not understand what people are saying to him? If so, is he taking speech? Learning sign language.

The more you share with us, the more we can make helpful suggestions. Your son most certainly CAN have a good life, but he needs the right type of treatment, depending on his issues. How are his academics? What sorts of situations make him meltdown? What did you see today that disturbed you?

Gentle hugs and welcome to the board! :)

L

Liahona

Wanted to say welcome! I've not heard of that diagnosis before. Is it the same as Nonverbal Learning Disorder? Or is it that he can't understand others or communicate to them?