Recipe for Dumplings

Wiped Out

Staff member
for chicken soup? I make a great chicken soup but have had always wanted to make dumplings for it-the soup is simmering now but we'll probably have it tomorrow for dinner.

Does anyone have a recipe for dumplings?

My other question: If I'm making the soup today but we're not eating it until tomorrow, do I add the dumplings today or tomorrow or doesn't it matter?

SRL

I would do the dumplings tomorrow. Not only will they be fresher, you'll also have time to skim off any fat after it's sat overnight in the fridge.

I sometimes use the standard dumpling recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook but actually I like the Bisquick ones better.

trinityroyal

Funny...I make chicken soup ALL THE TIME, and LOVE dumplings, yet I never thought to put the dumplings in the chicken soup.

I'm going to have to try this out with the next batch.

An aside...
I think it's probably better to put the dumplings in the day you're serving the soup rather than the day before, otherwise they might get too puffy and waterlogged. I used to get chicken-matzoh-ball soup from a deli near where I used to work years ago, and they always added the matzoh ball right at the last minute. They kept them in a steam tray until someone ordered the chicken soup.

DDD

Most of my cooking is from scratch but years ago I found an easy way to do dumplings and nobody in the house knows yet. Buy a can of biscuits (refrigerated type like Pillsbury). When your soup is at a rolling boil or a good simmer drop little balls on top and they will suit most of your family.

My former mother in law used to make hers from scratch (like everything else..lol) and instead of dropping dumplings that were rolled into balls, she either laid strips across the top of the contents or did side by side biscuit shaped dumplings that she finished off in the oven after simmering. That's where my idea originated, lol. Good luck. DDD

Lothlorien

There's a simple recipe for dumplings with Bisquick. I've had them and they are good. I dated a guy (many, many years ago) whose mom was Hungarian and she used to make Hungarian Chicken Paprikash with dumplings that were to die for! YUM!!!! I wish I had gotten that recipe from her. I make a meat paprikash, but it's just not the same.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! I think I'll be trying a couple of the recipes each time I make soup for a bit. Triple D what a cool idea!

I will make some tomorrow to add to the soup!:)

everywoman

I've done the canned biscuit thing before and it works well. I like my dumplings in little balls. Some people like long, lasagna type dumplings. The bisquick recipie works well for that type.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I make German knoephla.....it's potato adn dumpling soup - OMG it's to die for.....but you make the dumplings as you go with making the soup.

DammitJanet

dumplings down south are called pastry and you can buy it at the store in a box in the freezer section. I like the buisquik kind myself.

SRL

There's a simple recipe for dumplings with Bisquick. I've had them and they are good. I dated a guy (many, many years ago) whose mom was Hungarian and she used to make Hungarian Chicken Paprikash with dumplings that were to die for! YUM!!!! I wish I had gotten that recipe from her. I make a meat paprikash, but it's just not the same.

I grew up eating German Dampfnudle--white yeast dumplings cooked on top of chopped potatoes and served with a beef goulash over the top. I love, love, loved this dish and always requested it when I came home from college. I can get the dumplings right but I've never got the meat the same way she did, even with instructions from her.