Red flags for Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Very good. :smile:

From reading that list it's fairly obvious I had Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP). Although I was misdxed severe ADHD/ADD. There is no doubt Nichole was Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP).

And yes, it's very important to note that not all symptoms need be present to have the disorder.

DammitJanet

There is no doubt I was/am a case of early onset bipolar.

I was just discussing with my therapist how I consider myself stable if I only cycle weekly or every other week now. That is no where near the quality of what most people would consider stable but it is much better than what my life is like without medications.

OpenWindow

My son would fit under this article, but a psychiatrist who specialized in Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP) ruled out bipolar 2-3 years ago. I'm not sure why. difficult child also fits criteria for other disorders, like the childbrain Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) test, and borderline for asperger's (which was also ruled out by an autism clinic 3 years ago). We moved to a new state and he is being re-evaluated now. Right now his diagnosis: ADHD/ODD/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), rule out thought disorders.

My question: What would happen if a child was diagnosed with bipolar and given a mood stabilizer, but had a thought disorder instead or ADHD/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)? Would it just not work or could the medications cause permanent harm?

I don't know anything about mood stabilizers, and I really want to know before the new doctors give me a new diagnosis (they are considering bipolar, aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), thought disorders). I know it's hard to diagnose all these disorders, and the label isn't really a concern of mine (the correct treatment is). If they recommend a mood stabilizer, I want to know what I'm getting my difficult child into.

Linda