red, green and yellow???

wantpeace

I've been trying to figure out why my difficult child needed different tshirts to wear while staying at the inpatient facility. They said his tshirts had references to drugs, but I couldn't see anything drug related at all. I asked my other son what it could be and he said it probably had to do with the colors red, green and yellow and Rastafarianism. I guess Bob Marley (I had already gotten rid of those shirts) is tied to this religion somehow, and smokng weed is part of their religious ceremonies. Here I thought my difficult child was just really into those colors!!

A

AmericanGirl

The stuff you learn with a difficult child in your life. So happy he is there!

Nancy

I second AG, I learned more than I ever wanted to know. I really wish I didn't have this stuff in my head.

Nancy

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't have any ties or knowledge of rastafarianism, but I really HATE the way the drug culture ruins things for the rest of us. Some parts of the country can't wear certain colors because gang stuff and that is all tied to drugs, and some schools don't allow certain colors or color combos because they signify drug things and that makes it tough for the rest of us.

I don't want to have all the info of what signifies what drug in my head, but I also don't want to die because I walked down a street wearing an outfit I thought looked nice and have someone think I am saying I am part of a gang or that I sell or use a drug.

I get esp angry when friends who live in the city shared the list of what the school dress code did not allow - one friend who's child wanted to go to school for high school after having been homeschooled the other years was shocked by the two page dress code and how specific it was. It wasn't even about what could be written on tshirts. They were not allowed any shirt with writing other than the school's name or shirts sold by an approved and sponsored school group.

The drug culture just keeps limiting the lives of the rest of us as we try to stay away from it. I just HATE this!

exhausted

I am continually amazed at the stuff we have to learn as parents of these kids. I hate having to believe this stuff and that people are involved with it. I really like my world, not the world I've been forced into. I had no idea about the colors.

My difficult child also liked the Rasta colors of red, green and yellow, and he liked to listen to Bob Marley songs too. I think that my difficult child wished that he lived in the 60's, because he used to tell me that he wanted to be a hippie so that he could sit in a field and smoke weed all day. These colors are just another fad that the druggie teens like now. And I totally agree that my difficult child has forced me to learn all about the drug culture and this is info that I never wanted to know about.

wantpeace

I agree with all of you. I'm sick of turning on the radio and hearing the lyrics "roll one, smoke one..." on a station that the majority of people here listen to! Our culture seems to look up to mariuana use right now and it's so irritating.

I thought I would feel hugely relieved to have my son in inpatient treatment, but I feel more angry and frustrated than ever the last two days - part of the grieving process I'm sure. We have a day off here, so I'm going to try to do something I enjoy.

DDD

Marley was big in the 70's and I really enjoyed his music which was played by "still Hippie", then teen stepson. I think he died and his son took over the throne. difficult child#1 got into Hip Hop and I liked alot of that music too. on the other hand I, too, am discombobulated at the unedited lyrics played on the radio. Even in the last ten years it has gotten far more graphic. Sigh.

The only local restrictions on clothing is that your body is covered and no vulgar, drug etc. messages be displayed on clothing or jewelry. Enforcement gets more stringent as the kids age up. DDD