Red, White, or Blue?

Steely

My holiday forecast is work, work, work.
I'm feeling kinda BLUE..............:sad:

How about you? Any festivities? Happenings?

smallworld

I'm sorry you have to work and you're blue, Steely.

We live in a Maryland suburb outside Washington, Difficult Child, where the Fourth of July is celebrated to the max. My daughter attends a school that overlooks the city, and we're going there to watch the fireworks over the Mall. It should be spectacular.

Steely, will you get any time to yourself?

katya02

Solace
For the first time in years, husband has the 4th of July off. We're celebrating by going to Pittsburgh and watching the fireworks. I don't know how it will go with difficult child, though. Just tonight my daughter said something about Pittsburgh and difficult child claimed not to know about the plans and used it to promote a grumpy mood. If he spoils the first family outing we've had in a few years, I will want to kill him. The kicker is, I bet he'll find a way to do it.

Steely

Oh, katya, I hope difficult child gets on board.

Smallworld, how very cool. It sounds like a fireworks extravaganza.

I should get some time to possibly attend a 4th party after work tomorrow. I am hoping. There was also talk of climbing the roof of our building after work to watch the fireworks, which sounds kinda fun. We will see.
I know one thing.........I am gonna go buy our staff some munchies while they working tomorrow. They deserve it.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Steely-I hope you are able to get to the party after work!

SW-Enjoy the fireworks!

Katya-I hope difficult child gets rid of his grumpy mood and you enjoy a pleasant family outing.

We're not doing much. easy child is home (I picked her up at 5:00) and wants to go see a movie with a friend tomorrow. Usually I do a cookout but my ww day is Saturday and I need to behave-I'll grill hotdogs for the kids and husband. Our fireworks were last Saturday. With the mosquitoes we decided not to go last week. They do them on the Saturday before the 4th so they don't interfere with the small town fireworks in the area. We'll do a cook out on Saturday which will be fun.

Oh and there is a Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci Fi channel so husband and I will probably watch lots of those:)

Andy

Steely, You can make your own work party. Get some patriotic plates/bowls/cups to serve the munchies. Can you play patriotic songs in a break room? (radio stations may play patriotic music all day). I hope you can make the party after work and a roof top firework display will be good (remember to take bug spray).

Small World - Wow - what an awesome fireworks display! I think you get my "I will visit her this time" award.

Katya02 - Is there anything you can do to bring difficult child out of his grump mode? Can he plan the munchies? Or is there somewhere along the way that he would like to stop at? (a museum or something?) Tell him that you want to make this day fun for everyone, what does he want to do?

Wiped Out - "Dodo Dodo Dodo Dodo ......" or however you do the Twighlight Zone music. Cookouts are fun. My difficult child is getting use of the grill almost every day. He has come up with a new way of grilling burgers - he bastes the burgers with BBQ sauce - turns out pretty good.

We are going to drive to Brainerd for a parade. Our town's fireworks are tonight - I usually do not go - I can not handle the crowds leaving - I don't have the patiences at taking 45 minutes to get home when it is only 5 - 10 minutes away.

Andy

Amaze of Grace - Please find a way to enjoy this weekend's activities. When you are relaxed, it is easier to find the strength to face a frustration. Don't participate problems - not all of them will come to be. Just focus on your strength - you can face it.

Andy

You guys keep sneaking in :)

Witzend - just make sure you don't create your own fireworks if the remodel doesn't go as well as planned. Not all stores are open on the 4th - I hope you have all materials you need just in case.

mstang67chic

Going Green
We've got a couple of days worth of stuff going on. For the actual 4th, we are going to friend's house to possibly cook out and then walk to where the fireworks are being shot off from.

I also have family coming from Michigan and Ohio going to my Dad and Step-mom's house. (along with step-mom's sister from Florida) Everyone will be there by Saturday so we'll be going there to cook out, visit and have a bit of a party. The last few years, one of Dad's friends has brought his dj/karaoke equip. so it gets a little interesting to say the least! LOL In fact, I have a CD from last year that includes difficult child belting out some AC/Difficult Child. Not the best version I've ever heard but he get's points for enthusiasm!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
husband and I are taking the grandkids to see Wallie. (yes, I got drug into it lol) We have a festival going on in town and in the morning I think we're also taking the kids down to ride the rides.

But for me and husband that's it. I don't do fireworks. And since easy child's mother in law does an enormous cookout for our family as well as hers........I don't have to worry about cooking on this holiday. :D All my kids and grands go over there to eat and watch their fireworks.

husband and I stay home and enjoy the peace and quiet. :D

Sorry you have to work. Bummer.

(((hugs)))

muttmeister

difficult child#1 will be here this weekend. difficult child's Dad will be here for a family reunion. Both difficult children, plus their families, will go with him. I am invited but will not be going. Ex-inlaws are not my idea of a fun time. I will spend some time with some cousins. I am going to a covered dish dinner - made a poke cake with a blue layer and a red layer. Fireworks in town on Friday night and at the lake on Saturday night. Enough to have something to do but not so much that I will be run ragged. Sounds like a good holiday.

DammitJanet

We took Keyana to see her first Fireworks display tonite. She loved it!

Next year we had hoped to be up in Difficult Child but Jamie wont be home so that may be out...maybe the following year. Or maybe we will still go up...who knows.

I think she is supposed to be going to her moms for her weekend visitation sometime tomorrow but who knows...we havent heard from her all week. I think she is supposed to ride in a float for a parade but again...we dont know. We plan on staying home tomorrow night and cooking hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill since Cory cant go anywhere...obviously! Tons of people around us buy huge amounts of fireworks and set off displays so Cory will get to see some fireworks...Im glad. We are really big fireworks fans. Something my mother instilled in us from the time I was born and I passed down...lol. Im glad Keyana got that gene.

I do find it hilarious that my one child who was terrified of fireworks is the one who went into the Marines were the fireworks and big booms are for real! LOL.

Other than that I plan to watch the Firecracker 400 from Daytona on Tv. Yes Im a NASCAR fan! Go Bush!

husband is running the Peachtree 10K, I just got back from walking with him to the subway. Crazy man that he is, he is going to run the 8 miles back from the race rather than riding the packed train. I love him, but I'll never understand him :)

Our little suburb always has a "Pied Piper" parade on the 4th - anyone can join in. The kids decorate their bikes, wagons, scooters, and skateboards. One year we and some friends got together with a kazoo band, but this year we'll just observe. Our kids are all grown up.

easy child is coming home to visit! We'll all go to our neighborhood pub tonight, listen to music on the town square, watch the fireworks - and come home to set off our own (legal) fireworks.

Independence Day is my favorite holiday. I hope everyone has a great one!!!!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I woke up to a phone call asking us to go to a picnic on Sunday. Then easy child called from her dad's. So now I am up. husband is still in bed. We have nothing planned. We went out to dinner last night. So we are taking the day as it comes. We usually do very little.

Beth

Sara PA

I just made red beet eggs. Tomorrow, if it's isn't raining, I'm going blueberry picking and I plan to make maki (sushi rolls) Sunday. That's my Red, White and Blue for the weekend.

My mood is neither blue nor red so it must be white. Would that be no mood?

Nancy

I'm sorry you're blue Steely. Hope you get a chance to enjoy the fireworks. Whatever happened with your work. You may have posted but I missed it. I knew you were having some trouble there but it sounds like it worked itself out.

The weather is iffy here. It rained buckets yesterday and everything is wet and it's cloudy. We were going to go up to the golf club where husband is playing and they have swimming, a cookout and fireworks, but I think we will skip the swimming and go up later for the BBQ and fireworks.

Nancy

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok, Steely..here's the deal. You come cut meat for 9 hours today and I'll take your job. I'll bring my boombox, wear some silly costume, and effectively scare all employees and customers away. Even your ugly boss. Then we can close the doors and go party!! It's a quick flight. I don't have to show up until noon.

Abbey

KTMom91

Sorry you're feeling blue, Steely.

Hubby needs to work on the brakes on Miss KT's truck, but we have no other plans today. We thought about going to a fireworks show, but my knee problems don't let me sit down or get back up comfortably once I'm down. I think I'd be happier in my comfortable chair.