regressive behavior

B

butterflydreams

Has anyone had any dealings with this. This is something we have seem periodically with difficult child where he shows regressive behavior. Right now alot of his behaviors and actions are like a 5 yr olds and he is almost 13! He talks most of the time in a baby voice, very whiney. I am going to talk to psychiatrist and his therapist about this too. I did read that age regression is listed under psychosis of which he has. The doctor has mentioned before that he regresses, I am just not sure how to handle it. difficult child has a therapy appointment tomorrow night. I am STILL waiting for the psychiatrist to call, he was supposed to call yesterday afternoon (his words) but hasn't. We stopped the Neurontin yesterday, last night difficult child was as irritable as he has been, but very whiny. He whines and cries at every little thing.

It doesn't do any good to tell him to stop acting or talking like a baby.

Christy

B

bran155

I don't have any advice as I have never dealt with that type of behavior before. I just wanted to send some support and {{{HUGS}}} your way!

Hang in there and let us know what happens tomorrow at the docs. :)

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry the psychiatrist is so unresponsive. That is one of my pet peeves.

When he regresses, is there a trigger that you can identify? Would keeping a journal help? i am just thinking that if you kept a journal of his activities and behaviors you could maybe figure out more of why he is regressing.

If all he is on is geodon and the ddavp (for bedwetting? just want to make sure it is what I think it is), do you think another medication might help?

Is it possible that the regression is actually dissociation, or splitting into a different personality (not exactly multiple personalities, but along that line).

Telling him to stop acting like a baby is simply not going to help. You might try reading some of the early childhood behavior books (my fave is Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood - I find it very effective) and using those techniques to manage his behaviors.

Maybe pick just one thing to work on, such as the whiny voice. Tell him you can't hear him unless he can talk like a "billy goat" meaning in a deeper, non-whiny voice. Then don't respond unless he talks like a billy goat as much as you can.

If this is too simplistic, I am sorry. I just wonder if maybe he "needs" something that being treated like a much younger child fulfills in him.

B

butterflydreams

Susie, never too simplistic! I will definitely try what you suggested. As far as medications. psychiatrist had added Neurontin last week, but we had to stop it because difficult child was getting extremely irritated and aggitated, he has an appointment with the psychiatrist on Monday, so I assume we will be adding in something else then. He had talked last week about if Neurontin didn't work looking at Lamictal or even Lithium, I want to also ask about Depakote.

I didn't realize that it could be dissociation. That almost makes kind of sense. I will ask the psychiatrist about that.

Yes, the ddavp is for bedwetting, he needs a new script for it though, I meant to get it last week and forgot, I have to ask psychiatrist to write one.

I really appreciate the advice!

Christy

klmno, glad to know I am not the only one with a child around this age that isn't acting their age!

B

butterflydreams

yes, I do trust the psychiatrist. He has come along way with difficult child. difficult child trusts him too, and has talked to him and told him things that he had never told anyone else. difficult child has major trust issues and it took awhile for him to even open up to psychiatrist, but now they have a rapport and difficult child will talk to him. I have spoken to lots of parents of other difficult child's who have gone to or are currently seeing the same psychiatrist as well as nurses in the hospital and they all think very highly of the psychiatrist.

I will be speaking with difficult child's therapist tonight (unless the appointment gets cancelled) and I will be speaking with psychiatrist on Monday about all of my concerns.

The whole idea of possible dissociation does kinda make sense. difficult child has always been on the immature side, but, his dad died shortly after he turned 9 and it makes sense that he would revert to before that age when his dad was around, it could be kinda like a security thing for him. I am just thinking here, I don't know for sure.