Remember all the uproar & miscommunication with landlord and owner's agent?

klmno

Well, I just got a letter from the owner's rep and I'm going to repeat it exactly as it's written- errors and all:

"Dear klmno,

This letter is to inform you that your lease will not be renewed, The owner would like to move back in to the property. Again your lease expires on Oct 31, 2011. The owner has asked me to let you know if you can move in to a new place to move in by Aug 31th, you may keep the washer and dryer. Please let me know if your intensions as soon as possible so that we may Start planning.
Also keep in mind that you will need to schedule a move out inspection with me prior to moving out.

Sincerely,
Owner's rep"

Ok, so now I'm positive- professionalism just isn't a strong point in many "professions" in this state and I have a little trouble acting like I'm supposed to bow down to them when they can't show me basic, decent respect. This is a licensed realtor sending out a letter like that. (The same one who yelled at me on the phone at 9:00 at night because SHE called me while she was on vacation.

Anyway, no, I can't move out this month. If I find something convenient to move into by the end of September, I'll let them know. I don't want this washer and dryer but I guess I could sell it.

Really.......wow, since it expires on Oct 31, 2011 (thanks for that reminder), you don't have to "inform anyone anything". Don't answer that letter, unless you do plan to move out earlier. I never heard of a pre-move inspection. Of course after you move out they can inspect it, are they giving you back the security deposit prior to moving out? Of course not, they can inspect it later. I don't know anything about realtor laws, but they can't come in there if you don't want them to, for a "pre-move inspection", or any other thing.

DammitJanet

Okayyyyy...did this "rep" let her fifth grade child write the letter to you? Honestly, sounds like someone who is speaking broken English and it's coming through a translation program. Though the "ifs" instead of "of's" dont quite work.

I hope you can find some place much better for you. You have come so far. This will just be a speed bump.

DammitJanet

Oh they will want a pre-move out inspection and K should want to do one! Get a camera with video and video that place inside and out. Also take still pics with the dates on them. Keep them. If you dont have a camera that puts the dates on the pics automatically, go get a disposable camera and take the pics the day you leave the house and take the camera directly to walmart or walgreens etc and have them developed one hour express. they will have the date stamped on the back of the pics and also on the envelope and receipt. Keep them for insurance purposes in case these idiots come back and try to sue you for damages.

klmno

LOL! She's American born & bred- I thought it sounded like she wrote it while drunk- kind of like she sounded the night she called me up yelling at me. My favorite error in this was "Aug 31th". At least I have learned that difficult child is smart enough to become a realtor.

If you think this is bad, you should see and hear how juvie POs and juvie attnys act in this state.

DammitJanet

Oh heck...slap me. I didnt even catch that! Its kind of like the test where they have all those words that are missing letters but you can read it anyway because the first and last parts are there? lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Was there a "move out inspection" mentioned in the lease? If not, tell her to go stuff herself.

Clean the living daylights out of the place, video it, take photos, whatever, but since she's decided to climb up on her high horse.....don't give her an inch. I'd made certain the last object (even if it's a tiny trashcan) didn't leave the premises until sept 31st.

A pre-move out inspection is sort of stupid. With your furniture there how is she supposed to really tell if there are things to deduct from the deposit? I mean unless it's glaringly obvious.

But honestly? I wouldn't count on getting all of the deposit back anyway. I'd make sure I got at least partial back.......but I betcha no way is she gonna give it all back.

We had this in our last apartment in dayton. Aparment manager was a rip roaring alcoholic who didn't appreciate me contacting the complex owners and informing them she was drunk as a skunk unless passed out on her face on her desk. So, the lady suddenly decided (we'd lived there 5 yrs) we weren't going to be renewed. Tried to get us out early. And although we'd already decided to move here to be with mother in law, I dug in my heels.

Is not a good idea to peeve off an ex difficult child. Movers showed up on the final day of the lease, had our stuff packed in the truck in about 3 hrs tops, I'd cleaned each room completely as we'd packed them up, did a quick run through once the movers left. The place looked better than the day we'd moved in. Of course it did, husband and I painted the walls every single year. (dam flat paint) And I had photos to prove it. Got my deposit back. Found out a couple months later she was fired and had to LOL at that.

LittleDudesMom

Actually a move out inspection with the landlord present is the best. We do move in and move out inspection with all our tenants. We ask them to give us 72 hours notice for the move out inspection. It can be done with their belongings in the rental or out. Most tenants do it after they have moved their belongings to their new place. There is actually a checklist that is used with pricing. It is a way for both the landlord and the tenant to be "on the same page" in regards to the disposition of the security deposit. If the tenant moves out and does not schedule a move out inspection, the landlord does it alone and then copies the tenant with a refund or a bill with a copy of the inspection report.

While the letter is quite unprofessional, I would call the office and let them know you received it but cannot possibly be out by the end of this month. While the offer is generous, your lease doesn't expire until midnight on 10/31 and you will let them know when you vacate.

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Grrr. Witch. Everyone else has said all the good stuff, but JEEZ E. PETE.

PS - Lisa? 30 days hath September... *giggle* HAD to tease you!

KTMom91

I should have noticed that date...since Useless Boy signed that he received the certified copy of our divorce paperwork on Feb.31...thus delaying the divorce another six months.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Screw it all........go to a local college and get a law class to review your lease and find out what you are LEGALLY required to do......and do THAT.

THEN? Get that same LAW class to legally look over your next lease and don't sign a flippin thing until they okay it, take pictures and help you with a walk through. I can not stress this ENOUGH....when I have friends who are so EXCITED about "OH WE ARE GOING TO RENT A NEW PLACE" and then I come in like the harbinger of doom.....with my 'oh don't anyone tell Star' advice - but you know what? Star does NOT get bent over when renting a place, but I've handed out plenty o jars of vaseline AFTER the fact with a congratulatory I told you so card....because someone put their fingers in their ears. (present company excluded) -----

Seriously - FIND an attorney - this bat is going to play ball. Trust me on that.....the washer dryer thing? Is an indication that they have done you wrong......WRONG WRONG and KNOW IT.

I would be very VERY suspect that they already KNOW you can't be moved out on a years lease---------with 3 months notice. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting the washer dryer pittance.....

(you DO have a years lease right?) .......(six months?) (a lease?) (month to month) ------OH GiRL.....I think maybe you just inherited a washer and dryer. Perhaps more. Check with the law review board in your area.

TerryJ2

Oh, dear.
All I can do is repeat what the others have said.
Lots of experience here.
Best of luck! And keep your sense of humor. You're going to need it!

keista

The owner has asked me to let you know if you can move in to a new place to move in by Aug 31th, you may keep the washer and dryer.

You said you don't want the washer and dryer, but don't be selling them just yet. I'm reading this as your incentive to move by the end of August. You move out in September, they ain't giving you the washer and dryer.

I say take your own sweet time moving out. The lease is up when the lease is up. If they REALLY wanted you out by August end, they should be offering you the washer, dryer AND your full deposit back with NO move out inspection.

klmno

The inspection is in the lease- although I think it is intended to be an inspection after I have moved and cleaned but before I return the key or at the same time I return the key. They still have 30 days afterwards to decide how much of my deposit to return.

As far as me moving by the end of this month- the lease says they are to give me 60 days for a lease renewal period. It's not very well-written (anyone shocked?) but either this rep calculated the time between Aug. 1 and Oct. 31 to be 60 days (it's actually closer to 90 days) or the owner really is wanting me out. It wouldn't make sense to want me out because of something I've done because the yard work is being done, rent is always paid on time, and I haven't done any damage to the house. I specualte that the "visit" to the house last month was so the owner could decide about putting the house back on the market or move back in. It's a little odd because when I found this place, they pushed hard for me to sign a 2 year lease but due to my boss already acting flakey about how long this job would last, I only agreed to a 1-year lease.

LittleDudesMom

The 60 days is standard in our state - you have to advise if you are not renewing the lease 60 days prior to the lease termination date and the landlord has to do the same (otherwise it will renew for another year or month to month pursuant with the terms of your lease). Obviously this is just a case of the owner wanting to take possession - don't worry - legally you have until midnight on the 31st of oct - the washer/dryer was their way of trying to entice you to move out early. Don't touch the washer/dryer. Just advise them in writing that you have received their request cannot be out the end of august. If you are able to move out prior to the term end of the lease, you will let them know, period.

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
They set up a lease with Oct 31 as the end - legally, you must give 30 days' notice if specified - not 60 - they do have to give you notice, but, again, not more than 30 days.

Go find a law school - something's SUPER hinky here.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup. Watching this develop has me thinking something is OFF with this.

I rented for more than 20 yrs, dealt with all sorts of landlords ect. Never heard of such bunk. I had 2 apartment managers try to screw me over. First one was over a hot water heater they refused to fix that sprung a leak and drowned the carpet they then refused to replace or even come suck the water out with a wet vac. That one was handled by my lawyer........all he did was dictate what I needed to write in a letter and have me add his name to it, trust me they did an about face. Second time was the drunk manager, and I used what I'd learned from the lawyer to handle her. Oh, wait, there was a 3rd time......our manager that double booked and was skimming money off the top, but I knew about the double books and I knew enough about the law that I backed her fanny into a corner and I was the first person to ever get a deposit back in the 25 yrs she managed the place. (deposits she skimmed off the top)

That washer and dryer deal sent up a red flag. Landlords don't just give their appliances away. Ours in the house we rented did, but I got it in writing and the appliances were on their last legs and had been left by the previous tenant. They never even made it to this house, I'd bought new before we left.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
K--

I don't think anything is suspicious at all. Seriously.

I've seen a lot of this sort of thing now that the economy is so crappy. Homeowners are renting out their homes thinking they are going to make money....then they change theuir minds and want to move back into their house and/or sell it. It's happening all the time.

So - the story is that the landlord wants their house back. OK. They gave you 90 days notice. OK. Move-out inspection is pretty standard...gives both parties a chance to address any possible problems. If there are no problems? you get your security deposit back.

Sounds like you could use the move-out date as a bargaining-chip. Something along the lines of "I could be out by end of September - but I'll need that security deposit returned early so I can put down a deposit on a new place..."

Good luck!