Remember my neighbor...

F

flutterbee

who was plowing my driveway this winter? Well, now he's mowing my lawn. I was taking a nap and heard a lawn mower and thought to myself, "How nice that easy child is mowing and I didn't have to ask him." Well, it was my neighbor on his riding mower.

So, do I do another fruit basket? Or does anyone have any better ideas?

Remember this guy is disabled, says his 'eyes went' and I'm not sure if it's from diabetes or something else. Also, I've only met him once and with my memory issues (and I've always had trouble recognizing faces until I've met someone several times), I'm not sure which guy at that house it is. I've seen a couple of guys there. I just remember that he has a beard. :bag:

Lothlorien

Wow, what a nice, nice man! I would do something for him. Perhaps a gift certificate to Sears or something (with a note telling him he could use it toward mower parts, if he needs it).

klmno

Good idea! Or gas, maybe- Or, if he's a guy that likes his yard a lot, maybe a landscape ornament or plant/flowers to help dress up his lawn.

Any chance he's wanting you to cook a dinner for him or something? You know- either as a personal interest or maybe take a desert or something else you've made (if you like to cook) to him.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think - the above ideas are great and would combine -

For mowing this time - I LOVE the gift card to Sears - and

I would get a small gas can and fill it up - with a note in bold letters - THANK YOU!

If he does it again? I would make some type of casserole dish and a small sugar free dessert in disposable containers.

The little boys across the road from my Mom want to earn money and I'm happy to pay them at LEAST $15.00 for every mowing at my Moms.

She tells them $10 and then tips them $5.00

This man deserves a hug - and maybe a shave - if he has a beard in Summer - lol

Gift card to a barber shop?

:full:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You know, I really like to hear about these small acts of kindness. Brightens my day.

We have a mentally disabled young man that has shown up in our neighborhood this year. I believe he's moved into the halfway house across the alley perhaps. Or maybe his family has moved into the neighborhood. But he stopped by easy child's house and asked if he could mow her yard for 10 bucks. Now I know the going rate among teens is alot higher than 10 bucks. Last kid who asked me wanted 30 for the whole yard.

Because this young man was so polite, and disabled, easy child said yes. And then had to explain to sister in law as to why she was paying for someone to mow when sister in law mows it with a riding mower. lol

Then she called me and said she'd sent him over to my house. I didn't have money that day but when he arrived I asked him to come back the day husband got paid and he could do it. But just my front yard as I've yet to do the cleaning up of the back yard.

He does a great job. And since gas has gone up so much, I think I'm going to give him more next time. Sure husband can mow, but he hates it so getting him to mow is like pulling teeth. Besides this young man probably needs the money.

Also mother in law's new neighbors kept her walkway cleared all winter. She offered to pay them, but they refused saying they had to do theirs anyway and it was no bother. They mowed their yard the other day and also mowed her yard.

I tell ya it gives me a little hope.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am with Star on the gas idea. We take turns plowing each other's drive ways here, 3 of us. But we all use one neighbors plow. So we will take the gas cans every few weeks and fill em up... I also bake stuff for him and his wife, I try to bake heart healthy stuff, he had a quad-bipass last year. They love it.

F

flutterbee

Star said:
f he does it again? I would make some type of casserole dish and a small sugar free dessert in disposable containers.

Well, I don't want to kill the man! :rofl:

Seriously, my cooking is not to be shared outside the family. My kids are used to it...have iron stomachs.

All good ideas. Keep them coming.

Thanks!

meowbunny

A gift card to a nice, local restaurant. An offer to have him share a day with your family -- picnic, ball game, just a fun type day but nothing too strenuous. I really like the gas card idea. Maybe wash and detail his car?

Steely

Seriously love to hear of acts of kindness - make me happy!

I think I would try and find out more about him, and see what his needs are. Maybe he just needs a good listener once in awhile. I know I do.:sheepish: It does not always have to be a gift to make him feel appreciated.

VickiL

This thread is so what I needed today...to be reminded that there are kind, generous people out there. And I haven't been on the board for a while, but it's so nice to be a part of this wonderful family!!!

I think Steely's idea is a good one (along with the full gas can). You never know how much listening could be what someone is looking for.

You all are amazing!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Gosh...what a wonderful story. All the ideas have been great. For me, having a nice written note is something I can keep and reread over and over again.

Such a nice post. Enjoy his gift to you.

Abbey