Remember my post on the kid on the quad?

Lothlorien

Guess what just happened. My husband just saved the kids life and the father brushed it off like it was no big deal. The mother was flipping out about the quad and the father is saying how it was the kid's first accident. THE KID WASN'T BREATHING! On top of that, the quad never shut off and was still running and on top of the kid. He flipped about three or four times. The parents didn't even know that he was on the thing!

Will be firing off another letter to the chief of police again!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Call/write to the police, county AND CPS. That's riduculous. Maybe I should send them a picture of my mom's cousin's 6 year old grandson.

tiredmommy

Call CPS. Failure to seek appropriate medical care is a big no-no.

I wonder if there are any groups trying to license or ban these death traps?

donna723

What an idiot! This kids' first accident could very well have been his LAST! I'd be calling the police and CPS both!

If you remember my reply to your first post about this, about the boy my daughters age who had the accident ... that's EXACTLY how it happened with him! The thing turned over on top of him, broke his helmet and gave him a severe head injury. He was ten years old! He spent the next twenty years in a nursing home, paralyzed and brain damaged, and finally died of complications at age thirty. A very high price to pay for a little "fun" when you're ten!

If calls to the police and CPS don't do anything, I'd be videotaping these kids and then call either your local TV stations and/or the local newspaper. They LOVE to get ahold of things like this and it could bring faster results when they bring it to the attention of the public!

Lothlorien

I would love to find that out, TM. I've looked and there are just tons and tons of articles on children that have died or were severely maimed as a result of a quad accident, yet the manufacturers keep selling them, smaller and smaller.

NJ apparently has the strictest laws on the books regardign them, but there are basically no laws to restrict them from riding on their own property. Thing is, this happened in the drainage ditch that belongs to the house next to them, but is in foreclosure and no one lives there.

On top of that, the father illegally cut down trees on this particular property to make a track for himself. Do the kids ride on this, even? No. At least they aren't going up and down the street constantly. I think my letter writing took care of that.

DammitJanet

Did the father even take him to the hospital to be checked over? If not, call the cops and report a 4 wheeler accident.

Lothlorien

nope, he didn't. It's too late now. John should have had me call 911, when it happened. He told me after he confronted the parents. I don't want any trouble from them. He's a hot head and a moron. I don't need my tires slashed or something worse.

I wrote an email to the Sgt again. I told him what transpired. There's nothing else I can do or am willing to do at this point. As for calling CPS.....I'm not opening that can of worms, especially when Missy screams out of her window when she's raging. They'd be looking for an excuse to turn the table on me and I just don't want to open Pandora's box, ya know?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I guess you're just going to have to sit, do nothing and tell them HOW sorry you are (that they are idiots) when their kid ends up dead.

Doesn't sound like they give it too much of a care. Oh - your husband did CPR? He wasn't breathing - YEah - go ahead and ride AGAIN.

I'm with LMS anything I have to say couldn't be printed here.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The bank repo-ing the property it happened on might be interested in this little tidbit of info, too. Trespassing is against the law, but in most states, if someone gets hurt on your property, they're liable, whether they were there legally or not. And a kid being KILLED or injured in a 4wheeler accident while trespassing on a large bank's property...might get some attention.

DammitJanet

I dont blame you loth. I really dont. This is the exact reason we posted our property saying No 4wheelers. Well that and a few other reasons. I do like the idea of contacting the bank and letting them know that these people are trespassing and riding the quads on the property...a visit by the bank will take care of that in short order. Signs will go up just to protect the bank.

Something will happen again and then there will be huge write-ups in the paper, the parents will be found guilty of negligence. They could even be fined or imprisoned or both. That happened here not too long ago when 3 kids crashed into a tree, killed 2 and maimed one for life. I was in the ER that day and it was a really awful day to be there. Staff was inconsolable.

Lothlorien

Well, heres the update.

Sgt is treating this like a motor vehicle accident. Sent me an email basically telling me that we HAVE to report it and he needs to interview my husband as a witness to a MVA. Guess we are going to have major problems with this neighbor now.