Remember that handicapped parking problem

Star*

call 911........call 911
Today - I went to the pharmacy. There are 4 handicapped spaces and there was really no traffic at all.

Parked in front of the store was a car full of teenagers. They were sitting there, listening to music, windows partly down and waiting on the teenager inside. When I went inside I just happened to be behind the other teen getting drinks, candy etc. I asked her casually "How are you?" and she said "Fine thanks." I made comment about the weather, the fun of being out of school and how awful it was that one of her friends was handicapped. I told her I was so sorry. She said "Ain't none my friends handicapped." I said "My mistake - it must be you. If you need help getting those drinks and candy bars out to your car, please let me know."
She looked at me and said "I ain't no handicapped person either."

I said "Well I wasn't sure - because there are a lot of invisible handicaps, but I wanted to offer my help in case you needed it." She said "I don't understand." Then I said - "My fiance broke his back...he's in a lot of pain a lot of times and needs those QUICK handicapped spots you are now parked in. Further more - We belong to the parking police - and had I taken a picture of your car - right now, without being able to provide that sticker or placard? You'd be getting a ticket for $500.00 plus court costs.

She stood there - just amazed. Then said "Youze for real?" I said "Yes maam.....so do yourself a favor, thank God every day you CAN walk from a little bit father away - and stay out of those spots. Then I handed her a printed flyer.....and she laughed and said "I didn't know parking in those spots would get me a ticket for that much." ........

She was pretty cool - but I thougth - Well, while I'm on a roll.

I took into consideration she could have been with a heart condition or some other invisible disability - but it was obvious she was just a clueless teenage driver. NOW she knows.
:tongue:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ok, follow me here...
My brother's wife's brother has twin daughters that were born healthy. At about 18 months old, they started to physically digress, starting with their upper bodies. They eventually lost the ability to walk, sit up unassisted, talk, and even to breathe and eat on their own. They are in wheel chairs on ventilators with 24 hour in-home nursing staff.
For years, the parents were not allowed to leave the house at the same time because of provisions on the nursing staff - a parent had to present in the home to make life and death decisions at all times. Eventually, a few people were given "authority" and they were allowed as respite providers, but it took time. For several years, if the husband was at work, the wife HAD to stay home; when husband came home, she could then go get groceries, etc.
I was there visiting one Saturday and she was going grocery shopping while he was home, so I rode along. He called just as we got to town and had been called in to work and had to be there in 30 minutes. She used the placard and parked in a HC spot. I decided then, that while I know the spots get abused a lot, I can't always judge. Should she not have used that card? I certainly couldn't fault her for it.
I also remember reading a book when I was a teenager called "Alex, the life of a child". It was biography about a little girl with CF. On the day she died, she wanted grape soda, so her able-bodied dad ran to the grocery store, knowing she was dying, and bought her grape soda. I don't recall if he parked in a HC spot or not, but I often think of that passage in the book when I see someone standing in line at the store looking impatient. The vast majority of the time, I'm sure they aren't buying grape soda as their dying child's last wish, but how do I know. There was a day in that man's life that he was...and I wouldn't have faulted him for using a HC spot.
Just a couple experiences I had that made me look at things a little different.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Shari...well said. I would bet dollars to donuts that my family parked in handicapped parking when I was in the hospital when rushing to go get me something and then get back to the hospital and be with me. I dont know it...but I wouldnt doubt it.

Marguerite

This has been an interesting thread for me.

Laws are different in different places, but the principle is the same.

I was booked once for parking in a handicapped spot when I wasn't handicapped. I honestly hadn't realised that it WAS a handicapped space, because the sign was low down, below my rear window. I felt awful when I realised.

Now I am disabled and need the spaces. I am glad that our parking police are vigilant. Our signs often state the size of the fine you can get, for parking there illegally.

Our rules in NSW - the person with the disability has the permit. Even if they don't have a car, they can get a permit. To get one, you have to get a doctor to sign the paperwork from the RTA (Roads & Traffic Authority) so it's not easy to 'rort' the system.

When in the car going places, the permit is to be displayed on parking. We can park in handicapped spaces, or we can park in a regular space and if it has a limited parking time we get extra time. If it's a 1 hour spot, we can stay all day. A half-hour spot gives us 2 hours. If it's a metered spot, we don't have to pay the metre. And for us, the permit being for the person - if husband is driving me, we are still permitted to park in the handicapped space. Here is why -
If husband is taking his mother shopping, for example, or me in the days when I needed to be pushed in a wheelchair, then he would be needed to assist the handicapped person he is transporting. Yes, he is able-bodied, but pushing a wheelchair for the length of a car park is not only hard work, it is risky to the person in the chair. You're lower down, other drivers can't see you, they only see the pusher and don't always make allowances for the chair.

We don't have paerking spaces for pregnant women. We do have mother's spaces but they are clearly marked, "Mothers with prams". It makes sense. So if your kids aren't in a pram, you can't use the spot.

We qalso have "Seniors" parking spaces. I'm not sure about the rules there. The Mothers with prams" and "Seniors" spaces are not legally enforcable, they are only in the parking areas of major shopping centres. But they have security to get nasty, and people generally do obey the rules. I think because tey are fair, they are genuinely needing it. Less chance of being abused.

ANyway, it's how it is in our neck of the woods. Interesting to compare.

If any of you are unsure about whether you are using the permits appropriately, or if you feel the laws are unfair in your situation, is is always a good idea to make enquiries and raise the matter for discussion. I've seen our rules change a fair bit over time. And because that happens - you need to pay attention to these changes. It is again a good idea to keep in touch, to be sure you're up to date with any changes.

Marg