Remember when Q got in trouble for doing nothing???

buddy

Ok, that was over a week ago....

It was about his feeling awful that his difficult child/peer had told him the day before that she was not his friend anymore.

So, Mr. Sp. Ed. told him he would get her and they would talk it out. He did and Q felt so much better.

I had no idea what they said but here is our conversation this morning...

Q said this morn. : Mom, remember when Mr sp ed admin had A come and we talked.?

me: yes

Q: well, she said that IF I am not nice to people then she is not my friend. That was a pretty powerful statement, right mom?

me: (thinking....hmmm interesting choice of words) yes, We have talked about that before, but now you heard it from her right?

Q: yes so that is my plan, but mom, what if I can't??

me: ???????????

TerryJ2

"Of course you can. You can use words like Please and Thank you, you're welcome, thanks for helping me with my homework. You can keep your hands to yourself unless you are opening a door for someone. And if, IF you are not nice, you will immediately apologize. The idea is to communicate and not leave people guessing why you might suddenly explode. People like peace and calm."

Just off the top of my head.
Poor guy. I want to hug him.

buddy

Those are exactly the things we work on.... I think I got choked up because he certainly does use those words and actions much of the time, ...until....

either the seizure or he is too hungry to deal with things, or a huge anxiety issue, a change, a misunderstanding, etc....

he tries so hard, and then there are times I do believe he really can't stop until his brain neurons settle. Then, back to Q. So, i was thinking of those moments, I think he was too. He knows there are times that are just way to hard for now. I NEVER actually say that to him. I do say if it is too hard right now, then it is my job to help you, etc.

He loves hugs, he would appreciate that Terry!

DDD

My heart goes out to him. It truly is wonderful, however, that he can communicate so freely with you. Hugs DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
He sure is a sweetie. I notice you say that hunger can get him to a point where he cannot cope. We deal with that here too. husband used to have a FIT when I opened a package at the grocery and let Wiz eat as we shopped. I always did it anyway.

Jess never reacted to hunger as dramatically as the boys, but it did affect her. It is one reason why we keep packs of peanuts and cashews on hand and also those energy bars with a 40-30-30 ration of carb-protein-fat. They make a HUGE difference. We found that cookies and the energy bars that don't have much protein just don't help very much. The little they do help ends after about half an hour into a crash that is U.G.L.Y. Een with thank you being 12 in a few days we still keep protein bars with us. Heck, it is a big enough difference in how thank you acts that if Jess is going somewhere with him and I am not going to be there she will grab something to keep in her purse just in case. We have NEVER asked her to do this, it is her idea. Because she does take it for thank you, we don't fuss if later she eats it herself if he doesn't end up needing it.

husband thought we were nuts, and were babying the kids when we did this. I never much cared if it was babying. If one of the kids couldn't keep it together because his body needed fuel, well, it is my JOB as his parent (and husband's JOB too) to make sure he has adequate fuel in his tank to do what we want him to do. husband stopped gritching about it the day I asked him how many miles he expected to car to go when it had no gas. Cause that was what he was expecting the kids to do - go with-o gas. I do find that using analogies like that get through to husband - often it is the ONLY way to get through on something like this. Annoying, but there it is.

The girl that talked to Q is a blessing. She made the point in a simple way, and it probably had a much greater impact coming from her than from an adult. Is Q taking small ornaments or some such for his teachers and friends for xmas? If so, I hope she is on his list. If you need ideas for simple ornaments, let me know. I have a ton of them. Or look at Family Fun's website (you will have to google it). they have awesome ideas and usually excellent instructions.

buddy

Thanks Susie Star, yes, we do that...and last year he got her a valentine's doggie (little tiny thing) that when you pushed it said "I wuf you". I thought, oh no, she is gonna reject it and he will be hurt, and I reminded him that she can only be a friend. She said thank you nicely (remember she is in the EBD class, so my worry has always been what if she goes off on him??? I mean he can really push buttons and she is super kind hearted and works in the spmi class with the non verbal and wheelchair kids.

I am going to look for those bars, are they the ones in the health food part of the store??? He would eat them I know he would.

I send lunch meat, banana, apple, carrots, pretzles, and granola so far. any other suggestions are truly welcomed. He has never needed tons of snacks until this medication. Kind of overwhelming.

InsaneCdn

Here, you should be able to find those bars in the pharmacy section of the grocery store...

Other snack stuff: pepperoni sticks (cut in half, wrap individually) - make reasonable addition to a standard granola bar (adds the protein).
Our school doesn't allow nuts, which really crimps things.
There's those "cheese and crackers" snacks (kinda expensive, too)
Any shelf-stable cheese - like velveeta
Roasted soy nuts (three of us love these, difficult child doesn't... but they are a good balance)
Milk (if you can keep it cold) - also balanced.

buddy

I just bought some yogurt covered sun flower seeds and soy nuts too... he does like those. I will see if he likes the other things. You reminded me he will eat string cheese, but no "orange" cheese.... just his thing.
Good ideas, thanks