Remember when the kids were little...

KTMom91

...and you couldn't go anywhere in the house without them following you?

All I wanted to do was go to the bathroom, and not only were the toy panthers in there with me (all three of them, fighting as usual), the dog was sitting just inside the door, AND Miss KT, with her laptop, was perched on the side of the tub, filling out a job application and asking for help on every question.

I really thought that by the time she was 18, I could go to the bathroom by myself... silly me.

susiestar

Roll With It
Um, I am now forty and the last time I was at my mom's she wanted to show me something she bought. She had to use the potty first, so she had me come back and try another item on while she pottied. Then I dressed and used the potty while she showed me her item!!!

For us it is a way to get a chat with-o the guys or Jessie around.

Just tell her to leave and take the panthers with her.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I don't even bother shutting the door.
I guess I may as well learn to never think I will get to shut the door from what it sounds like! LOL

Sometimes just to be mean, who me?, I send the girls looking for husband.
They automatically ask the minute he goes into the bathroom, "Where is Dad, where did Daddy GO?"

So I will say, "I have no idea you had better check every room!" "Oh, he must be in the bathroom AGAIN, go ask him if he needs help"
This always gets him yelling and me cracking up...
He is in the bathroom, "Will you guys, ALL OF YOU!, just leave me alone for a few minutes!"
The girls love it. Tee-Hee

I will let him know they will still be doing this at 18.

DammitJanet

You mean to tell me that anyone actually expects to ever get privacy again after having kids? I am (cough cough) on the down side of 40, and my kids are all grown and producing miniature versions of themselves which are now following my into the bathroom. Their parents still find the bathroom the best place to find me and have long conversations. They never even blink an eye when seeing me nude...lol.

trinityroyal

Gosh! You all are opening my eyes to a completely different world!

The rule around here is, If the door is closed you knock AND wait for permission to come in. That applies to bathrooms, bedrooms, home office, the works.

I leave the bathroom door unlocked, in case one of the kidwinks needs to find me in an emergency, but they still knock and ask for permission to come in.

I had no idea...
(wanders off shaking her head)

mstang67chic

Going Green
The rule about knocking? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, we have that rule too....doesn't work. The times difficult child knocks on the door, when we answer "Yes?" or "What?" he takes that as open the door, come right in! This is a rule that is frequently stated....doesn't help.

I lock the bathroom door everytime I go in there, it's just habit now. Sometimes though, I forget. You'd think that after "forgetting" to knock, barging right in and getting a good eyefull of fat, bare Mom butt would stick with difficult child and remind him. Nope.

Oh and the part about how it doesn't stop when they are 18???? Ha. Try into their 40's! If I don't lock the door, husband will also come in to talk to me or even to give me a kiss good bye if he happens to be leaving at the time. I'm kind of picky about what I'll do when sitting there. I'll read, I'll have a smoke, I'll even talk on the phone. BUT, I don't eat in the bathroom, I don't drink and kissing someone while he/she is SITTING on the toilet for more than 30 seconds (or even if I'm the one sitting there) makes me gag at the thought. The man will holler at me if I don't wash my hands IMMEDIATELY after "making stinky" but yet he'll come in and kiss me WHILE I'M DOING IT????

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I think bathroom doors should be made like hotel room doors and lock automatically upon closing. OK yeah...you need a way in if there was an emergency but that can be adjusted. Otherwise....automatic locks. The only way to go!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I don't know about any OTHER household - but I can be in my house - and literally run a heard of GOATS from the front yard to the back - NO visitors. I can bring an elephant in for a bath. NO visitors. I could set three rooms on FIRE and drag a garden hose in through 4 windows and stomp out all the flames and scream for assistance. No visitors. I could and have fallen through the rotten back porch steps and laid in the sun for 30 minutes yelling for help. No visitors. BUT.......

Let me be in the house - for FIVE hours - all day long, hearding goats, washing elephants, putting out fires, dragging around hoses, falling through steps, scorching myself in the sun with no visitors??? But step ONE foot inside the bathroom, shut the door EVER so quietly, drop my pants silently to the tile floor and sit on the cushioned toilet seat with the stealth of a jaguar and INVARIABLY within 15 seconds - SOMEONE will pound on that flippin' door and jiggle the handle and ask = "ARE YOU IN THERE?"
"No-----I'm out washing elephants.....argh." :faint: Every. Single. Time. Uncanny.

trinityroyal

The rule about knocking? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, we have that rule too....doesn't work. The times difficult child knocks on the door, when we answer "Yes?" or "What?" he takes that as open the door, come right in! This is a rule that is frequently stated....doesn't help.

:crazy2::rofl:
Stang, I haven't thought about it for years and years, but my difficult child-brother used to do the very same thing (sometimes with his horrible friends in tow:surprise:), so I guess I've been deathly strict about not letting the children do this.

Come to think of it, when difficult child still lived at home full time I never used the main bathroom in the house. Only the one connected to my bedroom. difficult child would have had to make it past TWO locked doors (deadbolt on the bedroom door at that) to get to me.

KTMom91

I am SO glad I'm not alone!

I would love to lock the door, however...none of the doors in my antique little house close all the way.

I think I should charge in and have a conversation with Miss KT the next time she's occupied. And bring along the panthers and the dog.

SRL

I don't even bother shutting the door.
I guess I may as well learn to never think I will get to shut the door from what it sounds like! LOL

One day when all my kids were past preschool age I decided I'd had enough company in the bathroom and I started locking the door. Every time. They fussed for awhile but they got over it.

I had total privacy in there until the kitten came along and he was relentless as the door. Since he wants in to get a drink as much as to see me I let him in. But no one else.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I had total privacy in there until the kitten came along and he was relentless as the door. Since he wants in to get a drink as much as to see me I let him in. But no one else.

LOL That really sounds like my dad's house. It's a pretty common occurance there to see a kitty paw sneak under the door if you're in the downstairs 1/2 bath. Sometimes it's just the paw....sometimes the paw is accompanied by a toy. If you see the toy, you are expected to play by pushing the toy back to the other side of the door.

There are also times that the cat will be in there sitting on the counter by the sink. I've not bothered to shoo him out and wound up sitting there with his front paws on my shoulder and his hind paws still on the counter.

I figure it won't be much longer before my niece starts crawling and I fully expect to see little fingers coming under the door too! LOL

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Well, difficult child 1 turned the tables on me when he was 4 y.o. I would put the twins in the tub and stay in the room because difficult child 1+difficult child 2+water=disaster. One day I had to pee and sat on the toilet. difficult child 1 looked at me sternly and said "mother, don't you think you should be doing that in the OTHER bathroom?".

mog

I am convinced that there is a button somewhere on all toilets that blinks a great big flashing red light anytime I sit to go to the bathroom. WE could all be siting in the family room for 2 hours watching a movie -playing a game -whatever but the minute I sit down there is someone knocking then walking in. Yeah mine are grown pretty much too but it still doesn't stop any of them!!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
This is kind of a real eye opener for me in terms of boundaries. I would never have thought of interrupting another family member in the bathroom.

It quite simply wasn't done. I know that when my mother got totally fed up she would go into the bathroom for several minutes to cool of and calm down.

husband and I finally did get to the point of sharing the bathroom for liquid business, but anything more solid was held sacred.

husband finally did get used to less privacy during his military days when communal latrines were not uncommon, but he had a "shy bladder" that made giving monitored samples for mandatory drug tests to be a nightmare.

DammitJanet

I used to be one of those really shy people who couldnt produce a urine sample at the doctors office when I was a kid. I also couldnt go to the bathroom at school if there was anyone else in the bathroom. I prayed that schools or stores had those single potty restrooms.

Now, I can go anywhere! I got used to having the kids follow me in because they really had to be with me or they would be getting into some sort of trouble. If I shut the door, that was their clue to go hog wild. I needed to be able to hear them. I wouldnt have dared to go take a bath and leave them unattended!