reminded why i have my dog

Jena

today difficult child and i get home after her failed attempt at an mri, kid had a major anxiety attack while in the machine.

we are sitting in the dining room she's eating her lunch suddenly we hear a cell phone go off. i'Tourette's Syndrome not OURS. lol. oh my god difficult child literally lept out of her seat, the dog that i bash all the time went nuts.

some guy i'm assuming a guy was in our basement, stupid guy forget to mute his cell phone. unreal. they got in thru garage door that was unlocked than into basement thru door leading to basement that was unlocked.

wow. once i realized that it wasnt' difficult child's phone going off, i called it and it was dead and easy child's phone was on her i knew that someone was here. as soon as dog started carrying on whomever it was left. we heard them leaving.

so i had to call the cops they are becoming my friends lately lol sooo scarey. they came checked property and all was clear. next time difficult child will sit in the den that's next to basement door hmm we'll see.

dog's been alot better lately got another collar and have been able to walk him outside past few days so behavior in home is improving. i'm sooo not getting rid of him ever!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW! I am glad that none of you were hurt!! That is scary. Time to start keeping the door to the garage locked!!! Give the dog a special treat today - he earned it!!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Whew! Could've been so much worse... Thank goodness all is OK.

Funny thing, I grew up locking doors 'cause we were so close to the border. Friends made fun of me when I moved to the midwest... But... Onyxx didn't last night and the neighbor kid walked in this morning.

Seriously. Lock those doors!!!

Andy

Good dog!!!!

Don't you use the basement for easy child to gather with her friends? Make sure she knows to always lock the door. Is that how her friends come and go?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...Similar to this morning... husband actually did grab the pistol, scared the snot out of me... I told him it was probably Onyxx... It wasn't... I'm telling the neighbor kid if he EVER WALKS IN MY HOUSE AGAIN without our opening the door FOR him, ESPECIALLY at 6AM, he's likely to end up shot. And in our area - it's legal to shoot him. IF he's INSIDE...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Give doggie a BIG bone!!!

This is why I have BIG dogs. Little dogs are cute and adorable...............But I want a dog to be able to do it's job, and that job is protecting me and the family. If it can do that? It's a sure fire keeper. All mine have been tested and approved. Even Betsy whom I used to worry was a big love puppy wuss has proven herself to be her daddy's daughter.

Scary, very! Glad you're all ok.

Jena

step that's funny!!! lol. yea he's been sooo much better past several days. i got accident's in house from 3x a day down to one. it's improvment. that's all i'm looking for some movement in the right direction. he's got me now giving him love attention, his walks have made him so happy. granted he's got on this super scary collar a choker with-point thingies that go into pressure points. yet woman at pet store even said use it because it's either that or he'll get taken away or run over. i dont' abuse it, just click him back and say heel when he starts his i'll get away from you junk. so far that's working.

i guess it was a mos of zero attention for him and he couldnt' hack it. so each day i've been working with both dogs training them. we'll c. difficult child is not a dog person though i've come to learn. each day after breakfast i have her out there with-me walking the puppy as i walk the big guy. she complains and complains lol. i gotta give her pep talk thru the whole big 3 block walk :) maybe it'll teach her patience or maybe she'll grow up and have no animals!

i just love how that big dog of mine literally ran to my aid today. very cool

TerryJ2

OMG. That is scary.GOOD dog!And great that you are training them. It will make all the difference in the world.

Marguerite

hat's all i'm looking for some movement in the right direction.
Preferably, movement done outside the house. That would be the right direction for me.

Good on that dog for barking. Is this possibly someone easy child has introduced to your place at some stage? Maybe someone she deliberately left the door unlocked for? For example, kids are often suckers for sob stories, and a homeless guy wanting a couch to sleep on out of the cold, could well have done something like this.

Was anything missing?

Marg

H

HaoZi

I would have guessed at it being one of easy child's friends hiding out there to skip school. Good doggy!
Must be something in the air, even in our safe little town there are some bold robberies/thefts going on lately. And for some reason my door was unlocked today. I always lock it, and I usually make sure of it, but when we're in a rush to get out in the morning I may have missed getting the button all the way down. I'm usually really good at keeping the door locked (Mom had a paranoid streak, she grew up in NY).

Jena

no, not at all. it was just a regular burgular with a really loud cell phone ring.... houses in area have been getting hit. nothing was missing because they never made it past the basement. they can have my washer and dryer it bites!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad I live in OK. We don't have basements because they ALL flood. Friend bought a house with a tornado shelter built underground that they had to have removed because it was a big covered pond made out of concrete. You couldn't even go past the top step because it was so full of water. It is just a little bit up a hill from the house and at every rain it was coming close to flooding the house!!

We can shoot anyone/anything on our property. I guess we still have enough of the wild west mentality that most people have guns and are more than willing to shoot an intruder or unexpected visitor who lets himself in! Heck, a friend of mine was our long time sheriff's goddau and we were talking with him one day. His advice was to shoot first and if you have to drag them over the doorstep or window sill so it looks like they are fully in the house. No joke - it is still the general rule here. It is why I used to be so nervous when Wiz wanted to go sneak out and wander around alone at night.

I am glad you are all safe.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. Not even IN the west and I've been told to do that here. lol Even if the dogs attack......drag em in the house just to be on the safe side. Yup, had several cops and the sheriff tell me the same thing. Told em I already knew that much myself. lol

I've only house trained 1 adult dog. It took MUCH patience and many accidents before she got the idea Persistence and consistency is the key. I had to give her credit........if it was in the house she tried like all heck to keep it on the tile floors and not on the carpet.

Spending so much time with the dog with training and affection will help. Your bond will become stronger and his urge to please you will too.

TerryJ2

Hmm. Not even IN the west and I've been told to do that here. lol Even if the dogs attack......drag em in the house just to be on the safe side. Yup, had several cops and the sheriff tell me the same thing. Told em I already knew that much myself. lol

Yes, sad but true.