***REMINDER: American Idol TONIGHT!***

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I had to look that one up, Janet.

http://www.neurologychannel.com/rsd/

I hadn't heard that but it could explain some of the reports I've seen where it says she is addicted to pain medications....and also the slurring of her words on occasion....and appearing sleepy on last night's show.

Suz

DammitJanet

That is why she gave up her career. I believe she was in a really bad accident and this was the result. I have an extreme amount of empathy for anyone living with a chronic pain condition so I cut her a lot of slack...lol. I know first hand how the medications can make a person appear under the influence. Just think how some of these medications our kids take have horrible side effects...those are some of the same medications that folks take for chronic pain relief. Neurontin is one that comes to mind that has a huge side effect of making one appear drunk. I used to call it my 6 shots of tequila medication. Every time I increased my dose I felt like I had 6 shots. But they also use it for neuropathy. It is very good for that.

I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt unless I know all the facts.

Lothlorien

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is a very painful condition. It's generally treated with aggressive physical therapy and pain killers. I've seen many reports over the years come through my fingers with patients that are addicted to pain killers from RSD. I actually did one report just this very morning. Most patients plateau in their treatment and never fully recover from it.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt unless I know all the facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If she has this, I'm surprised she hasn't been more forthcoming about it since there has been so much talk about her behavior for the last couple of years. It started last year with her slurring her words and being so clumsy and only seems to be getting worse. It would be such a simple explanation. Oh well- her choice to divulge or not of course.

Suz

BonnieJean

Okay, after tonight, my favourite top from Seattle is Jordin Sparkes, 16 from Glendale, Arizona. She sang Celine Dion's Because of You. Did I forget to mention that we think she not only CAN sing, but she's beautiful to boot. Also a favourite of ours were the brother and sisters. Hopefully I can spell their names right, 19 year old Shyamali Malakar and 17 year old Sajaya Malakar. We hopefully, predict them to go far. Also Rudolpho aka Rudy Cardenas, 28 from North Beach, California who sang Journey's Open Arms was quite good. Anna Kearns, 20, from Witchita Falls, Texas wasn't bad with her rednition of Aretha's RESPECT was pretty powerful. She'll just have to tone the volume abit while in Hollywood.

From last night, Denise Jackson, 16, Madison, Wisconsin was quite impressive with her You're Gonna Love Me. Perla Meneses(sp?) 25 from Florida? She sang Shakira's The Hips Don't Lie and did that wonderfully. Although I am curious to see if her accent gets in the way of other songs not sung by that particular singer. Her accent was heavy. She too is a beautiful woman with a seemingly happy personality.

21 year old Rachel Jenkins from Minnetonka(??), Minnesota sang His Eyes Are on the Sparrow and did quite well.

And Sarah Krueger's Somewhere Over the Rainbow was much better than Katherine McPhee's version in my opinion. ~shrugs~

But if I had to stop and pick someone right now, my vote, if I could vote, would go to Jordin Sparkes. I liked her tone, control and overall presents.~shrugs~

Having said all this, I have to ask too....would I ever consider taking one of my kids to this type of audition? Daughter J is the "singer" in the family. But, in the event that she turns 16 and wants to try out for Canadian Idol, make no mistake I would tell her truthfully NOT to go if I really thought she couldn't carry a tune. I would rather hurt her feelings here than let them do it there in front of a national audience.

BonnieJean

P.S. If anyone saw Oprah today, Simon said he feels Seattle got the Golden Ticket for having the worse singers. I dunno...and he said the best singers usually come from the South...well let's see what comes of great old Memphis!!!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
WOW, BJ- very impressive. You guys must sit there with a pencil and paper to record names, etc.

I didn't watch very much last night but I did catch the brother and sister and thought they were great! I was glad they were approved for Hollywood. :grin:

Suz

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Did anyone notice the boy, sorry unlike BJ I didn't memorize any names, but this boy was so similar to my friend's 7dd, who has aspergers. For me, it was like seeing her full grown. The body movements, the language, his eyes, the facial expressions, his organized way of singing and everything just screamed aspergers to me. difficult child noticed it also and even asked if our little friend would be like that grown up. I felt so bad because everyone knew something about him was different than just being a dweeb or a bad singer, but Simon was especially brutal to him and Ryan Seacrest just kept staring at him and making peculiar faces. I gave the kid a lot of credit for going up there. He was 27. Anyone else notice him?

DammitJanet

Jog...you talking about the 27 year old computer guy from utah? The one who sang unchained melody?

He screamed some diagnosis to me too I was also thinking aspergers. He looked so confused to me. I honestly felt sorry for him.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I know, difficult child and I were sitting there so uncomfortably as the judges were making faces and then simon's remarks. I just said to difficult child, 'he has something. I think he's got what nina has" and difficult child said, "yeah I can see it too - I feel so bad for him". And then when he came out and ryan seacrest was trying to talk with him and the guy was off to somewhere eles - he couldn't even converse with ryan he was so crushed I think. and then he went off looking for his stuff. I almost cried for him.

DDD

If, as you say, they have multiple eliminations before the
tryout shows it seems as though the contestants would some how realize that they are not really contenders. It makes
me feel better thinking (or should I say knowing) that they
have preliminary opportunities to recognize their lack of
musical talent.

Bottom line, though, is that I prefer the show when it gets
down to the "real" competition. DDD

DammitJanet

Has anyone heard that Rosie and the View have chimed in with their opinions of American Idol? Harumph. Pick on Trump but leave my show alone...lol.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I didn't watch (never have) but may start. I live in Madison and used to teach next to the school where Denise Jackson goes to school. They had a news clip on her this morning from the show. She sounds really like a nice kid.

BonnieJean

I didn't memorize anyone, I have such a terrible memory which is why I write everything down. That guy was someone we also notice, although I don't have his name written down simply because I only wrote down who I thought would go far. The girls and I both thought he had "something", he reminded me of my easy child son actually. ~shrugs~ I did notice that he took some time to answer questions and he really didn't seem like he got they were being rude to him. This is how my son is too. ~shrugs~

Anyways, I dunno who will go far, I know on Oprah yesterday, Simon did say alot of the good singers choked when push came to shove, well in a sense. He thinks that knowing too much of the process hurt alot of them. Only time will tell.

I can't wait for Memphis!

BonnieJean

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Janet, I tape The View every day. Yes, Rosie (and now Elisabeth) are very much against how the judges treat the contestants in these early elimination rounds...specifically the contestants who are impaired in some way- like the two boys (one being talked about earlier on this thread) who became buddies. Simon was very insulting to him and to his friend- said the "friend" reminded him of a *creature* with big eyes from the jungle or something like that. It was truly an awful thing to say. You saw it if you watched the show.

As I stated earlier, I have to agree with Rosie. I also don't enjoy these early rounds where they spend more time on incompetence than on competence and more time on ridicule than on praise or guidance.

In years past, Rosie has been a huge fan of AI. As a matter of fact, Kellie Pickler was their co-host today and will be returning tomorrow. Rosie would like to see televised the auditions of the ones who make it through to the next round and the ones who are almost there - not the obvious losers and the insults they receive. Rosie is not against AI, just against the bad behavior of the judges.

Suz

DammitJanet

Ok...well that makes sense Suz. I would have to agree with them...might be the first time I agreed with Rosie...lmao. I am just not a huge fan of hers ever since she got so crazy over being anti NRA and started bashing republicans and all that. I was talking to someone else and joked to them and said...yes ...there is a lesbian I dont like...lmao.

BonnieJean

If it's worth anything, we also thought they were incredibly mean to the guy they said looked like a monkey or something with his big eyes. That's just downright rude and has NOTHING to do with whether or not he can or cannot sing!

We only watch the early auditions to see if we can guess whose gonna go far from the beginning.

BonnieJean

KFld

I loved the mother and daughter who Simon said just needed to switch hair. I think the daughter should remember her bra next time she goes on stage LMAO!!!

DammitJanet

Yep! Im sure that image is exactly what everyone has in mind when the song "Dontcha wish your girlfriend was hot like me" comes on the radio"...lmao.