Reminder - Dr. Phil today

buddy

I haven't watched all of the shows but many of them. I remember many episodes where for example they hooked the mom up with a health/wellness coach, a make over, really worked with both the mom and dad to help them be able to raise the grand babies. I do think Dr. Phil has to always point out the negative where it is not always needed, or slanted but he usually does connect them with good help. I even remember when the parents of the deaf/blind triplets were taken to task a little...but they also were given amazing support and lots of financial help for themselves, their marriage and each of the girls (two needed an individual deaf/blind educator in home which is only available thru Canada so now the dad is trying to set up a certified program in the USA).

I liked today's show. My heart breaks for Alexandra's kids. I do think she will just be the "aunt" role for them. Not sure it is even fair to ask them to go back to her but no way to know what will be best until she is solid in her recovery.

DDD

Interesting perspective, Buddy. I watched today and I thought alot about the emotional reunification. Those of us who have been "connected" parents "know" that there is a bond needed for children to feel secure. I may be too subjective but I know from living it...the children I raised want "me" to be there for their traumas, illnesses and triumphant moments. It's OK (and sometimes even better) when bioMom is there. on the other hand the bond is with the loving caretaker who consistently has provided structure and peace and support.

It may be because I have health issues and perhaps am not thinking fairly but...having those children relocate eventually when their bioMom has stayed clean, established a new life in an unfamiliar city...away from their grandparents and extended family. Sorry, I don't see it. It's a lose/lose situation in my humble opinion. Very sad for everyone. DDD

FlowerGarden

Personally, I would like to see Dr. Phil spend a month living our lives with our difficult children. It's so easy for him to say to the parents, you have to do this and do that, but doesn't he realize most of us have done this and that. Most of us just cannot afford all the treatment and counseling that is needed.

I had watched the shows of this family when the daughter had gotten pregnant the first time. I am sorry to hear she still hasn't gotten her self straightened out. I really hope things work out for her, her kids, and her parents. It has to be so hard to have your life exposed like that on TV. I give them a lot of credit for letting the world into their family situation.

Nancy

husband and I spent a total of 72 hours in parent education during our difficult child's rehab stay. During that time we learned everything that was discussed in this show and more. What you saw here was what really happens once an addict leaves treatment and the triggers that awaits them and the parents falling into the same traps as before. It's very easy to get into that same dance with your difficult child. Most tretment centers have a parent education program that is included in the price of the treatment.

What's really sad is the high percentage of relapse that goes on after treatment which is so discouraging because if you can somehow pay for treatment once there is none left for the many relapses that go on. I don't know of one person difficult child was in treatment with that hasn't relapsed.

Nancy

DDD

by the way, I got the impression yesterday that this family and Dr. Phil's family may be longstanding personal friends. Is that correct? It appears they are on a similar socio-economic level and about the same age but I was surprised when DP said to the addict "I've known you since you were a ???" I found that interesting too. DDD

Nancy

DDD I thought I had mentioned but maybe not, Dr. Phil has been helping this family for nine years now, ever since Alexandra was 15 and her sister was I think 12 or 13. Erin first sent him a letter way back then asking for help for their family becuse their 15 yo daughter was pregnant and making bad decisions. He has been very involved with this family and has spent many hours with them along with his staff. He has been to their house and he was at the hospital when Alexandra delivered her first child. He helped her decide whether to parent or place the child for adoption (not personally but through the proper counseling). He has been involved in many aspects of this family's life and so I'm sure he feels like he is personal friends with them, but that is not how it started or the intent. I don't think even he realized how long term this was going to be.

Nancy

DDD

Thanks, Nancy. I didn't quite "add it up" when you mentioned before the length of time. How old are the children now? DDD