Remodeling hell

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm 7 months into my bathroom being redone. This is day 4 for me having to go to the neighbors to take a shower. H and father in law are up there arguing about how to measure things. father in law has Alzheimers...things don't come too quickly to him anymore. H is frustrated about this and doesn't handle it too well. I just try to find a secret place to hide. They're up there right now arguing about what 1/2 of 5/16th is. I just want to grab the damn tile and do it myself.

Argh.

Abbey

M

ML

I would love to see that Abbey. You going in there and just getting it done while H and father in law stand there with their jaws dropped :)

donna723

You can DO IT, Abbey! If I can do it, so can you!

When my marriage broke up, our house was in such horrible condition, especially the bathroom! Idiot-ex supposedly knew all about construction but just sat around and let it all rot. I became so fired up and so highly MOTIVATED that I grabbed a sledge hammer and literally killed the old bathroom! I beat it to death! It felt sooo good! I demolished the old fixtures and carried the porcelain chips out in buckets! Then I beat the old rotten floor to death with my little sledge hammer! Got it down to just the floor joists! Then I rebuilt the whole floor, put up beadboard and chair rails on the walls and wallpaper on the top, then I put in a new toilet, vanity and sink! The rest of the house was still falling apart but that bathroom looked goooood!

First, go out and buy yourself a sledge hammer ....

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, it's all sledged out. Has been for months. I could live with that, but when my toilet went and then my shower....do you want me to bathe in the sink? Nada. JUST GET IT DONE!!

I just looked and they're up to 6 tiles down.

Now, I didn't need a new bathroom. This was their idea. Wonderful. I'd just like to flipping SHOWER.

I think I'm going to lunch with a nice bloody mary.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
While you're "out to lunch," why not pick up an oversized galvanized wash tub? Maybe watering trough size at the feed and tackle (so you have room to really stretch out and relax)? :bath:

Just make sure it will fit in the kitchen so you have easy access to the tea kettle for your hot water... The guys might get the hint to pick up the pace after they slip and crack their head on the wet floor... (she says sprinting away)

Abbey

Spork Queen
GCV...too funny.

I just don't get it. I guess that is why I'm not a guy. It's flipping strip and glue tile. Noooo, not for them. They've got to scrape up the old tile, sand, sand and sand again, put some sort of glue down, then pull out the level (who cares) and measure everything to the 1/16 inch now. Even that is not good enough for them.

I'm going out in the blowing slow for my 100th cigarette today. (Not really.)

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Methinks they are a bit compulsive about this handyman-type work. Good thing they don't do it for a living... they'd never get paid!

Steely

While you're "out to lunch," why not pick up an oversized galvanized wash tub? Maybe watering trough size at the feed and tackle (so you have room to really stretch out and relax)? :bath:

Just make sure it will fit in the kitchen so you have easy access to the tea kettle for your hot water... The guys might get the hint to pick up the pace after they slip and crack their head on the wet floor... (she says sprinting away)

Perfect! Just step out of your clothes, waltz around in those granny panties, and start filling a big ol wash tub for your bath. I bet that will get them to stop trying to figure out what 1/2 of 5/16th is - and get them into gear.;)

KTMom91

Abbey...I'm so afraid the same thing will be happening once Hubby and Son #2 get started on our bathroom. Sending strength and the grace to NOT go in there and kick some hiney.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I did go to lunch and come back to the next thought that everything needed to be torn up again because of the glue. I think I'm putting on those granny pants. (And hide all the knives. That probably won't work as I know where they are.)

Abbey

TerryJ2

Ohh, I like the lunch idea!

"what 1/2 of 5/16th is" Arrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!! Hey, I'd be onto my3rd Bloody Mary.

Donna, I love the idea of the sledgehammer. We had some critter get caught in our wall once, between the 2 X4s, and it was urinating all over. No one believed that there was anything in there. One day the family went to church. I had major league PMS. I took a hammer and slammed holes in the wall. It was so much fun!

Turned out it was a cat. It had run from the garage above some cabinets, across the ceiling beams, and fallen between the 2X4s near the kitchen. I think it's still in therapy.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
It took over a year for husband to get ours done. I actually spent several days running to public toilets just to potty. Many good thoughts that it doesn't take you that long.

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Now you know why I won't let husband change the washers in my bathtub fixtures. The idiot wanted to take out the wall panel (in place for plumbers) to do it!!! :faint:

I know how it's normally done, but these fixtures are a bit different.....I'm waiting on the chance to go to Lowe's without him to ask them how to do it. Then I sneak and do it myself. lol

Mealwhile I told husband that if he so much as touched that panel.....or attempted to remove the fixtures in any way I'd literally skin him alive. Evidently he believed me. His wrench and such are still sitting on the bathroom shelves. :rofl:

husband would distroy this house within 6 months if I was stupid enough to actually believe he knew what he was doing. humph

I think I'd be making someone's life total misery if I had to go to the neighbor's to shower.

Hugs

rejectedmom

Renovation is a way of life for us. I recently redid the hall bath and it took a long time due to the antiquity of this house (1902) but fortunately we do have more than one bathroom. I did however live without a kitchen for almost three months. THAT was not easy. washing dishes in a little tine wash basin in the tiny powder room under the stairs. UG! I feel your pain. How about joining a gym for a trial membership and just use the showers? -RM

TerryJ2

I did however live without a kitchen for almost three months.

I heard that's the normal amt of time for kitchen remodeling. Ugh, indeed.

I like the idea of a temp gym membership! When we lost power for 13 days after Hurricane Isabel, we were able to use our gym for the showers. (They were on a diff grid and had power.)