remotely hosted images

R

runawaybunny

As some of you may have noticed I've recently been working to speed up the page loads on this forum. This has been accomplished by moving to an upgraded server and streamlining the way that our pages are sent to your browser.

Images hosted remotely on other web sites create an additional DNS lookup every time a page is loaded and this can slow the site down for everyone. It is for that reason that new images from outside domains will no longer be able to be displayed in signatures or as avatars.

As always you are welcome to upload your own custom graphics to our server to use as your avatar. You can also use any of our existing smilies in your signature by pasting in the bbcode for the image.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheryl

by the way, if there's an avatar that you really want to use and you can't quite figure out the upload thing I'll be happy to upload it for you. Just send me a pm with a link to the avatar you want to use...

tinamarie1

awwww all that beggin and pleading for nuthin. lol
i knew there must be a reason no one has had signaures until now.
*sigh* oh well.....

Star*

call 911........call 911
-Hey Pizan

i tell to you before type your name, turn your head and blinka you eyes! It's amore!

witzend

I'm totally lost. Are you saying that avatars from other places work if we download the image through the "my profile" page? Or do we send them somewhere for you to load them? Is there someplace that you have explained this step by step?

Sorry, I'm have an oldtimers moment...

R

runawaybunny

Yes, avatars from other places will work if you up load the image through the "my profile" page.

Yes, you can send me a link to the avatar you want to use if that's easier for you.

Here's a brief step by step if you want to upload it yourself:

1. Save the avatar (no larger than 100x100) you want to use to your computer.
2. Go to My Stuff >> Edit Profile - scroll to the bottom of the page
3. Using the Upload my avatar option locate the avatar file on your computer and click Open.
4. Click the submit button at the bottom of the page.

:geek:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Okay, I don't have my avatar saved to my computer, but it is my original one that I started with the day we could have avatars. Do I need to save it to my computer and upload or did you already do that to the avatars we had?

R

runawaybunny

Existing remote avatars are fine.

I'm attempting to gradually move them onto our server. You shouldn't notice any change, the avatar image will stay exactly the same.

You don't have to do anything if you want to keep your avatar.