Residential Treatment Center (RTC) has gone difficult child

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
JJJ--

Why am I not surprised?

Although my difficult child is not in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) - we get the same sort of stuff from her therapists. I got a call from the Behavior Spec yesterday telling me that I should be soooo proud of difficult child - because she is doing SO WELL in school right now, she has been inspired to pursue a teaching degree....and is looking into applying to colleges RIGHT NOW! Isn't it wonderful? Aren't I just glowing with motherly pride? Don't I feel a special sense of satisfaction now that things are going so well...?

I asked the Behavior Spec whether the fact that difficult child is actually failing three classes at this very moment was going to be a problem with those college applications?

:whoopdedoo:

JJJ

I asked the Behavior Spec whether the fact that difficult child is actually failing three classes at this very moment was going to be a problem with those college applications?
:whoopdedoo:

But I'm sure is trying so hard....so you should bang your head very hard into a brick wall so that you forget everything you have learned in the last 16 years about your child.

JJJ

Update: :rollingpin:

I nearly went through the phone at the therapist. She kept trying to get me to agree to let Kanga volunteer at the day care center or do unsupervised volunteer work at the nursing home. She tried to stress it as a learning opportunity for Kanga.

I asked her:

1. Would you want someone with a history of violence and sexual acting out on children to be allowed to volunteer at your daughter's day care center?

2. Will you be the one who sits down with the parents of the 11 year old boy that Kanga molested and explain to them that you had her doing volunteer work in the day care center to 'learn appropriate boundaries'?

therapist kept talking about how Kanga was going to have unsupervised time in the community soon and that she felt it would be better to have worked with her on boundaries. Um, NO. There is a huge difference in presenting her to children and their parents as a (supposedly) approved volunteer and her randomly speaking with a child in public.

I pointed out that I was asked to complete a bunch of paperwork about Kanga and that they had 100s of pages of documentation from previous placements. Why were they not READING it??? Why did I waste my time completing every form they asked me to do if they were not going to READ it! :grrr:

jennd23

Wow! I don't know her whole history, but just based on what I've read in this thread alone they should know better! What are they thinking?!

JJJ

I get that in less than 1 year, Kanga will be set loose on the community. What I don't get is RTCs insistence endangering the community sooner?!?!?!?

I'm sure that they had already told Kanga about getting to volunteer and now they will have to tell her that mean old mom won't give permission. Oh well, if I am the only one doing her job protecting the potential victims, than so be it.

therapist also pushed for us to set a date for a visit. (Hold on, I have to check the temperature in Hades.)

klmno

Isn't it illegal for someone with previous offensess against children to have any tpe of job in places like that?

I think I'd call therapist's bluff by saying if she would sign a legal document stating she would be the one taking full legal and financial responsibility for any issue arising from having Kanga do this, you would trust her judgement. Don't worry- she won't sign it. I told MST therapist a few years ago that "I'd trust difficult child to be by himself out in the neighborhood' if he signed an agreement to pay for any resulting court-ordered restitution because I was already at close to $5000, and he would also have to aagree to take legal responsibility for difficult child's actions, instead of me. This is the quickest way I have found to get them to suddenly change their idea.

And I understand the frustration of them not reading a flippin file, too. After that meeting with PO, re-entry lady, and PO's super last week was almost over, and this being after telling the past 2 POs on numerous occasions to read difficult child's file before establishing parole/treatment plan, the super said "well, we are going to read thru difficult child's file and check his previous charges". Now, she said this like she didn't believe me so she was going to check the file and it would prove me wrong- yeah- just wait until they read it. I told her I was stunned if that hadn't already been done but if she is going to check it, don't just look at the charges, look at who the offenses were committed against. And they wonder why I don't agree with their treatment apoproaches? They don't even know what difficult child has done- how can they tailor a plan for him?

JJJ

Isn't it illegal for someone with previous offensess against children to have any tpe of job in places like that?

Yes, but someone would have had to follow through and press charges. The first boy, the dad was content just to have all contact eliminatated at school as he did not want to put his son through a full investigation when his son was very unstable at the time (2 psychiatric hospital stays). And the 2nd boy was a ward and no one was willing to stand up for him. I tried but no one listened to me. The incidents are in her mental health file and she has admitted to them but since her mental health file is confidential....

buddy

JJJ, You must have blood pressure that goes thru the roof at moments like that. I am so grateful for you for being so protective even if it means bucking the system. Some vulnerable elderly person or kid out there was saved by you. There are many more opportunities for volunteering, she can load stuff at goodwill, or clean poop in an animal shelter. I did that at age 14. Most things involve other people so she could obviously practice boundaries with them, not vulnerable populations. Good thing you know that, now hoping Residential Treatment Center (RTC) can figure that out. you are a hero!

L

Liahona

It might be a good idea to contact the daycare anyway given the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) attitude. Just in case.... Plus, if they are doing this with Kanga they might also be doing this with other predators. They probably have an understanding with this daycare and just are to lazy to go find viable opportunities for Kanga.

klmno

That is a VERY good point- that day care doesn't want a situation like this- and a parent would croak if he/she knew.

TerryJ2

Wow.
I ditto this: OH MY ... <insert chosen deity here>

What in HEAVEN were they THINKING? Oh, no. Never mind, they weren't.

If it goes through (which I'm assuming it cannot) but IF ... I would not only notify the director, but others, of your choosing.
Thank you for protecting the other kids, and not being blind to your difficult child's nature.

DammitJanet

Ok not much shocks Tony anymore about our kids but this one did. I first started reading this and explaining kanga and the first words out of his mouth were "and you want me to do what about her?" ...lol. I told him oh no, we arent offering to take her on, she is way too much for us! When I said that he really sat up. When I told him about the day care, he was astounded. He said to go let her move rocks or logs...bet she wont offend on them.

JJJ

Ok not much shocks Tony anymore about our kids but this one did. I first started reading this and explaining kanga and the first words out of his mouth were "and you want me to do what about her?" ...lol. I told him oh no, we arent offering to take her on, she is way too much for us! When I said that he really sat up. When I told him about the day care, he was astounded. He said to go let her move rocks or logs...bet she wont offend on them.

Oh my...Kanga is too much for YOU????? Yikes!!