Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) Treatment Plan meeting

ck1

This Monday I'm going to my son's Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) for our initial treatment plan meeting. I have no idea what to expect. Others that will be there from the facility include: his therapist, psychiatrist, clinical director, and the nurse.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should suggest as far as treatment and goal planning? I'm going to bring school records and letters from past therapists and psychiatrists. Anything else you all could suggest?

He's already been approved for 90 days (there will be a re-evaluation to determine if more time is needed) so I know he'll be there at least that long.

I think he needs to work on impulse control and thinking errors the most. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

:its_all_good: (the information given here)

DammitJanet

Im sorry, but I cant remember exactly why he was placed in the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF). Can you refresh my memory so I can maybe have a better understanding of his problems? That way I may be able to bring a better sense of what he may need.

ck1

After smoking pot daily (mostly alone) for three weeks to self-medicate (attempting to mend his broken heart) he got violent for the first time ever. I found out (about the pot) on a Saturday morning by reading his text messages. That night he got violent. He punched holes in the wall, threw furniture, we called the police but couldn't have him committed because he had calmed down and didn't threaten himself or others. The next day he said he was leaving for a few days because he hated his life and home. We called the police to report him as a runaway. They brought him back a few minutes later. About ten minutes after they left, he started arguing with us. He punched the microwave (almost hitting me in the head) then attacked my husband (husband challenged him to because he didn't want difficult child doing more damage to our house), husband didn't fight back, only tried to restrain him, but difficult child continued to punch and husband was left with a broken rib. I called the police again and he was arrested and taken to juvenile detention center for simple assault.

After two nights in juvenile, he was taken to a respite for 28 days, at my request. The plan was for him to complete the 28 days successfully and then come home, but, another kid in the respite brought in pot and gave some to difficult child. difficult child got caught smoking pot in respite and taken back to detention center. At his hearing, he wasn't ordered into the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF), but it was included in his consent decree (like a probation agreement) that he would go and complete Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) successfully.

difficult child ended up staying in the detention center for five weeks until finally getting into the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) (the one that I chose). According to difficult child, being in the detention center that long was enough to change his thinking and make him understand that he must follow rules!!! However, he understands that Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) was in the agreement. He has a very good attitude and knows he needs help to change his distorted way of thinking, he also wants help controlling his impulses.

I'm not extremely worried about him going back to using drugs, and he has, for the most part, picked good friends. He is receiving D&A counseling and I will continue to drug test him at home. However, he has been manipulative for a long time, I am concerned that he may go back to that when he has all of the comforts and temptations of home life again.

Thanks for asking, Janet! Sorry it's so long...