Results of Exam Week - Sick of this Stupid School....

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Ugh!

difficult child had six exams this year.

She FAILED two of them - but thanks to plenty of extra credit points (for absolutely nothing)....the teachers are letting her pass those classes with a "D".

Scored a "D" on another.

Received two "A"s (Faint!)....these were easy electives - but still...

And on the last exam? The teacher included with the final exam an extra page that contained the answer key. (Are you kidding me????) But even with the answers provided - difficult child only managed a "B".

I guess I don't understand why they give exams at all. They obviously don't count for very much...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Uhhh... Wait.

Jett gets all kinds of extra credit assignments, and to date has gotten NO extra points... So... How the heck?

As for the answer key? Teacher didn't want to do scoring. clearly...

InsaneCdn

We have our own song-and-dance around exams.
For example... last year's math teacher had an official breakdown of where the marks would come from... X% from quizzes and tests, X% from homework, and X% from final. In reality? If you aced the final, that was 100% of your mark. But if you bombed the final, the rest of your work became 100% of your mark and the final didn't count.

What's going on? The "ministry of education" requires final exams. But... per union contract, only teachers can determine what the final mark is. SO... every kid takes a final exam.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
As for the answer key? Teacher didn't want to do scoring. clearly...

Oh yeah....it's a history class. That teacher has done nothing but show war movies during class for the last six weeks or so. I think that clearly, he didn't feel much like teaching.

Too bad it's such a drive - Jett would do GREAT. No effort required...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Kelly's Heroes by any chance? Bridge on the River Kwai? Full Metal Jacket? Platoon?

Probably not. Those are entertaining.

TerryJ2

An answer key incl DURING the test? OMG.

Sometimes when my difficult child gets looney tunes teachers and pulls the wool over their eyes, or they're lazy, I give him my own version of a test before he can earn game time. You know what? He ALWAYS passes. He always knows more than what's on the test. Bugs the %*$*# out of me. Bugs the teachers, too.

The thinking is just so twisted. And then to have a teacher who doesn't think or doesn't work, just makes it all worse ...

so sorry ...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Kelly's Heroes by any chance? Bridge on the River Kwai? Full Metal Jacket? Platoon?

Probably not. Those are entertaining.

Let's see...

I know that Glory was shown...

I'm trying to think of the others.

I know they watched The Day After Tomorrow in one of her other classes...

and still another teacher let them watch Lord of the Rings.

High-quality educational stuff - eh?

TerryJ2

OMG, Glory is one of my alltime favorite movies! I had no idea there were all black regiments (I'm originally from MN and can tell you all about the Oglala Sioux, and which lakes have giardia, and that gavia is Latin for loon, though ...) and it really made me CARE about the characters. It was gut wrenching.
Ask her what she thought about it, if she'll talk to you.

cubsgirl

Well...I probably shouldn't tell you this story but I will. My grandfather was a calculus professor at a local university. He **hated** grading mid-term and final exams. When I was 14 he agreed to pay me $50 if I graded the exams. He gave me an answer key and told me I could give partial credit and extra credit if I wished to do so. I graded all his exams for two years and I didn't take a calculus class until 10 years later. At the time I loved the money - but now as an adult it scares the stuff out of me! Some teachers are really lazy and its easier to just pass them along.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Well...I probably shouldn't tell you this story but I will. My grandfather was a calculus professor at a local university. He **hated** grading mid-term and final exams. When I was 14 he agreed to pay me $50 if I graded the exams. He gave me an answer key and told me I could give partial credit and extra credit if I wished to do so. I graded all his exams for two years and I didn't take a calculus class until 10 years later. At the time I loved the money - but now as an adult it scares the stuff out of me! Some teachers are really lazy and its easier to just pass them along.

That's different though... You were working for your money...

InsaneCdn

Cubsgirl... You don't HAVE to know it, if you have the marking key. I mean... no way you could do that in poli-sci or english, where it's all so subjective, but math? If any student didn't agree with the mark, they could challenge the prof, and he could just look at it, adjust it either way, and write it off as "well, when you're marking that many exams... "