Resume Guides Online? For difficult child...

DDD

difficult child has asked that I prepare a resume for him. That's going to be a challenge since he really has no work experience outside the family and community service BUT I agreed to do it. Do any of you know of a web site that gives simple samples on resume writing? It would be a help if I didn't have to improvise. Thanks. DDD

DammitJanet

Just to actually write the resume, you can use the templates on Office. If you want ideas for wording, well...I think any of the big work websites have them online. Or just ask for help here. The guru's here seem to be very good!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
DDD--

The type of resume that would be most appropriate for difficult child, considering his lack of formal experience, is known as a "Skills" resume...

Basically, after listing your name and contact information, you write a paragraph or two that describes any type of experience that you have that might be applicable to a work environment. Almost anything might count--keyboarding and computer skills, driving skills, heavy lifting, furniture assembly....if you know how to do it--LIST IT. And describe how you might apply that skill to the job.

Then, briefly mention how you acquired those skills (eg. grew up on a farm, or, worked at my dad's store, or volunteered at soup kitchen).

Hope this helps...

--DaisyF

DDD

Thanks. I think you're right, Daisy. With his Asperger's I honestly don't expect he will have success seeking a job on his own. on the other hand, even tho he has an unusual personality and requires supervision...he is a nice looking kid who is very strong although he is slender. When he is "in gear" he can work like a horse. When is gears are stripped...well, that's different.

I think I'll try it your way and keep it simple. Janet I don't have office but Daisy's idea sounds like a better fit for his personality. Thanks for the input. DDD

mstang67chic

Going Green
Another thought too...is there anything he does that he is really good at that might be considered "out of the box" thinking? If so, you might think about how to word it and include his uniqueness in the resume somewhere.