Retreats

Tentimesaround

i am really struggling with my daughters addiction and possible mental illness. I've have followed much of the wonderful advise given to me by the parents on this forum. I have been searching for months to find a place I can go to seark some solace . To find some peace and find myself again. A beach to walk on, a place to do yoga or to just curl up and read a good book and feel the sweet ocean breezes. Is anyone aware of such a place? I m in Canada so to find what I m looking I know I will have to travel into USA. I can afford something but not a whole lot.

Can anyone recommend something?

Childofmine

one day at a time
Hi TTA, I don't know why this popped into my head, but when I read your post, I started thinking about places I've been told about in Indiana. I googled it and found this link.

http://www.archindy.org/fatima/index.html

I have never been to these places, but I understand they are peaceful, quiet and inexpensive. There may be places like this closer to you.

I just went to a writing workshop a few weeks ago in a big city close to where I live, and stayed in a retreat center. The accommodations are simple, but the grounds were beautiful and it was quiet and peaceful. There are dining halls, with low prices. My room was $60 per night.

Just a thought. Hope you find a good place and can have some time away. It really helps with perspective.

InsaneCdn

Hi.
You don't have to leave Canada to find a good retreat. Depends on our background. Many churches have free or next-to-free retreats available.

We're back at the time of year when my personal retreat is possible again: wilderness camping. No technology, just basic comforts (I do NOT tent :D ), cooking over a campfire, long hikes in nature, waking to the sound of the birds. I find it to be a good environment for contemplation.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
TTA, I live in Northern CA. and there is a small town on the coast called Mendocino. It has remained the same for the last 40 years, sort of an artist community with art galleries, good restaurants, small shops, spas with massage therapists....... and a terrific coastline with breathtaking views. We go up there a lot just for the peacefulness, quiet and beauty. There are a number of bed and breakfasts and hotels, but no real motel chains or anything like that. Up the coast a bit is another town called Fort Bragg, which isn't quite as lovely, but has accommodations which are a bit cheaper. You can check it out here:
Mendocino Hotels Mendocino B&B Inns Where to Stay Hotels CA

I live in Fl. My favorite beach getaways are Sanibel Island, Anna Maria, and St. Pete Beach. In Indiana, Potawammi Inn at the state park. In Washington state, there is a retreat center called Holden in the Cascades. It is closed for retreats until late Nov.

InsaneCdn

There is a whole cross-section of retreat types available in western Canada. I haven't actually used any of them, but some are quite well known. Some have a religious slant, others do not.

Something I have done as a "retreat" is attend Al-anon conventions. They are usually at very nice hotels so you get amenities with lots of inspiring workshops. I also will often visit an attraction and nice restaurant in the city where it is held. There is one on St. Pete Beach, Fl. in Sept. but they are all over the country and probably Canada also.