Returning to District After 4 Years

jal

I alway preface my posts with "I don't post alot", because I don't, but I read. I am the odd woman out here as I have never had to fight my SD. I've been given without asking and been given with asking. No fights, just compliance to anything we have needed. Our only child, bio difficult child son now 9.5, has been in an out of district placement since 1st grade with private transportation and he is now in 4th grade. They have been great, he is doing very well and now tomorrow is the triennial PPT and he is slated to go back to district. I won't bore you with all details of past and present. Everyone, from SD and therapeutic program is on board. Just going to be a long, very thorough meeting and I can't wait. husband and I have been waiting for this a long time.

I just ask, if you can spare a few rattles & beads, that when he transitions, it goes well for him. He does deserve it as he is a good, loving boy, but life has been somewhat hard for him when it comes to school, mostly impulsivity, as academics are pretty easy and he has no Learning Disability (LD)'s, but the progress he's made has been huge. He should start next month 2 days a week and then full time in the fall.

I first found this site when he was 4. Though I am not a huge contributor and for that I apologize, it has given me solace to know I am not alone.

I thank you.
Jal

buddy

That is wonderful news. I will hold out great wishes for him as he transitions. What is the thought for only 2 days per week? Will he be in the other school for the rest of the time?? Just curious. It sounds like you are in a very good SD and I still say, though my experience has been awful this year, from my work experience, most Special Education. teachers really do want the best for their students.....I am glad this is your experience!

jal

Buddy, thank you. I have followed your and Q's story and I do apologize for not commenting a lot, but a lot of times, I don't have a lot to offer, unless I've been there, done that. For what the two of you have been through, my heart truly breaks. I've been so saddened by what you've both been through. I did once comment when that a** manhandled Q, as mine was once assaulted by a teacher in his program and she was fired and DCF was called on her.

They want to give him the 2 days per week in May to get used to mainstream classes in his home school. Were he has been, his program is in a wing of a mainstream school and he does 4th grade mainstreamed math, reading, PE, art and science and lunch. He is mainstreamed now almost 85 to 90% of the time there. He has been mainstreaming since last year with-more classes added this year. They want to introduce him to science classes (which he likes along with math) in his home school 2wice a week to help him feel comfortable and prepare him for transition in the fall. Honestly, there is a story behind why this is starting now in May vs. April, but I won't drag on.

buddy

WOW he sounds like he is doing so excellent! It is really good for me to see that my reality is not totally blown out of the water. I am truly happy for you. (and I noticed your post, I appreciate every single response, no matter what is said....that you took the time, so never worry about what you think you may or may not have to offer, I just appreciate the support so much....thank you!)

jal

Buddy, again thank you. He for the most part, does very well. Be it camp, ESY, park & rec, sports. You cannot know what your kind words mean. I honestly think about you and the many people here constantly. Throughout my hectic work days and my nights at home I just am humbled that someone could be so kind. Especially with all that is on your plate. I thank you for taking the time out of your busy life to reply to me. I know of no one in my circle who deals with a life like ours, albeit different. I will update on tomorrows meeting.

JJJ

Follow your gut. If 2-days a week until the end of the year will help him, go for it!

Please update after the meeting!

jal

The meeting was 3 hours long as expected! TG I took a vaca day. It went extremely well. He will be starting 2X's per week in May with each week increasing in time as long as all goes well. Being that he's been out of district we've always kept him involved in district sports, so he knows at least 4-6 kids in his class (16 kids only mainstream SD) from sports and the Y after school program. I actually have him transported from his school now to his in district school for the Y after care program. The teacher for his grade back at district was nothing short of lovely. Took us on a tour of her room after the meeting and offered any assistance that we may need. Very impressed with her. Told us she does not run a rigid classroom and she has some bouncers:) husband and I were very impressed with her. As the Dir. of Pupil Svcs said at the meeting there is no room for failure here and failure is not an option. So in other words if it works, time will be increased weekly, if he's not ready we will back off. Truthfully, we all believe he's ready, he's matured some and really come a long way. A very positive, hopeful meeting.

jal

Thank you JJJ. I think so too, to make transition easier. I know you yourself had a victory recently. Good for you:) Maybe something is in the water?