Revisiting my thoughts on Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)

BusynMember

It's mentioned in the DSM as antisocial personality disorder in adults. In kids, it is often called conduct disorder. There are different degrees of attachment problems. If a kid is harming animals, pooping/peeing inappropriately or sets fires (even small ones) you have a full blown child psychopath. I never saw my child playing with matches, but my kids assure me that he used to set little fires in his room on the carpeting all the time. Often these kids sexually abuse younger kids too and they don't feel bad about it because they don't have a conscience.

HopeRemains

I didn't realize that the innapropriate defecation was a symptom. Not one professional has ever expressed concern at this, I am pretty upset by it. Do you know of any sites that give good info on Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) in children? As far as I know, difficult child doesn't play with fire... but like you said, you never know. (Loves bonfires, but I've never caught him doing anything innapropriate. I sure hope that that doesn't change.

buddy

There is a yahoo discussion group which was excellent. It's moderated so you have to apply. It started with mom's who had kids from China who had attachment disorder but now is expanded. There are many here with severe kids who did find help that made a huge life difference. Others have struggles and some can't get help. The website is one of the most comprehensive and whether through adoption circumstances or other reasons the issues are the same. Broken bond.
A google search under reactive attachment disorder and attachment disorder actually gives some different hits so may want to do both. Search this board and you'll find discussions we've had with many good sites too.

HopeRemains

buddy- at what age did you realize that q has Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)? (It is Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), right?) What age did you begin working with him as a Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) child? I'm just scared, because we didn't catch this earlier on in his life and never used any of the techniques that would be essential for a Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) child. If anything, I have distanced myself from him a bit over the years, in order not to be hurt myself constantly. (Not that I didn't try extra extra love, it was just never recieved and used against me... I didn't know of Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) at that time.) I guess he sort of trained me?

InsaneCdn

Hope... Q doesn't have Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), he has insecure attachment. My difficult child had a version of insecure attachment that developed after he started school (long story). But there are parents on this board who have dealt with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD).

Most professionals don't know what to look for, so don't be hard on yourself for not knowing!