Rice crusts ---aarrrgh!

TerryJ2

I bought 2 pre-made rice pie crusts because difficult child is allergic to wheat. Boy, are they hard to work with! They fall apart if you look at them cross-eyed. I used water and egg white to try to put them back together again. They're baking now. They're ugly. Really, really ugly.
Any suggestions for next time?
:crazy:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Gluten Free Pie Crusts

2/3 cup rice flour

1/4 cup corn or tapioca starch

3 Tbsp. tapioca starch

1 tsp xanthan gum

1/4 tsp salt

1 Tbsp sugar

1/4 tsp gluten-free baking powder

3 Tbsp. cold,margirine

3 Tbsp. vegetable shortening in small pieces

1 egg yolk or replacer

3 tsp cold water

1 tsp. cider vinegar

1. Blend dry ingredients.

2. Cut in margarine and shortening until mixture resembles a course meal. Add egg yolk replaced, water and vinegar. Blend.

3. Wrap dough in plastic and press into a ball. Chill for 1 hour. 4. Between two sheets of plastic wrap, roll dough out into a 12-inch circle ( about 1/4-inch thick). Remove top sheet of plastic wrap and flip pastry onto a 10-inch pie plate. Keeping the plastic wrap over the top of the crust, pat it into the pan, piecing together any parts that separate when the crust lands in the pan. Remove the second sheet of plastic wrap. Crimp edges.

I was thinking to myself - EVERYONE should have 1 tsp xanthan gum
in their cupboard! lol

You're trying so hard - I think that is admirable Warrior Mom prowess!

You would think (seriously) with all the dietary issues in the world SOMEONE would make a wheat free crust at Holiday time!

They charge enough for soy milk to make is happen!

Good luck
Star

TerryJ2

Thanks!
I actually do have xanthan gum! I've never known what to use it for, LOL! I bought it one day when I was all gung ho to bake special stuff for difficult child and I never really got around to it. I made pancakes and he hated them and that's all the further we got.

I'd rather be painting ...

:painter:

TerryJ2

Okay, I gave up on the pie. I just couldn't serve it looking like that (the pie, not me). I gave it to difficult child a day early. It was a bit burned and he didn't care if it was ugly. He's already had 4 pieces!