RIP dear garbage disposal.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's time was up this morning. I guess 20 years was a pretty good run. At first it sounded jammed after having processed some orange peel, so I took out my trusty 1x2 stick to give it an encouraging nudge. But then the switch fell silent and I realized that the disposal's life had ground to a halt. As I look around my equally aged kitchen, with the fiber board drawers that now release a fine dust of wood pulp on the unsuspecting items below, the cracked countertop tiles, the decaying grout, the bulging cabinets -- I wonder. Could this be the domestic gods giving me silent (literally) permission to finally pursue the new cabinets and counters I've secretly coveted for years? Is this what my father's small inheritence was meant to create?

Stay tuned for the next chapter when we learn whether or not I have the stomach for such a huge purchase...

Mattsmom277

If you do not vitally need the inheritance money for other things right now, sounds like a kitchen reno within your budget is a great option for how to spend that money. Your kitchen does sound aged from your description and the way you describe it aches of a personal longing for a new kitchen refit. These are things so many of us women "make do" with. Bills, gifts, spending on our spouses or kids or whatever seems to always trump cosmetic things such as kitchens that us women enjoy. Imagine having some upgrades you've wanted so long, imagine that inheritance money transforming into something that can remind you of what created the ability for the improvements every time you enjoy your new kitchen. I think if it is not going to leave you in dire straights to spend this money on this project, you should give yourself the permission to do this for your own sake. Not to mention the long term benefit of improving the resale value of your home by replacing very aged cabinets etc.

My retired widow neighbor recently did a inexpensive but thorough remodel of her kitchen and a year later, she still beams when she putters around in there. I love visiting her for tea and a chat and seeing her enjoy her kitchen so much.

I vote you go for it :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, if you don't just have to have it for other things, why the heck not?

mother in law always told me no orange peels, banana peels........eggshells.........hmm forget what else in the disposal, so I never did. She had a list, I kept it on the frig for years. I'm guessing she learned via trial and error. I never had any issues with mine thanks to her. lol

I haven't had one in ages though. Can't say I miss it. Dogs eat the scraps along with their food. lol

Enjoy the money your father left you if you can. Then when you're working in your kitchen he will always come to mind.

susiestar

Roll With It
Imagine the smile on your dad's face if he knew his money went to something that made YOU happy and owuld for a long time. That alone would make the kitchen redo a great idea. Then think about how much more productive you would be with a new kitchen. A year or so after I had Wiz (when us kids were both finally out of the house, lol), my dad used $$ he inherited to totally redo the kitchen for my mom. They stripped it to the walls because the wiring was old enough to have become dangerous, and then had custom cabinets built because getting stock ones to fit the odd measurements would have cost more (not often true, but it was for this kitchen). It has been 17 years and they STILL love it completely (esp the lazy susans in the corner cabinets - the old ones were so hard to turn that often Mom and/or I had to wait for Dad to be home if they needed to be turned and now they spin easily.). It is MUCH easier to keep clean because the storage makes sense.

You don't have to go that far, but it sure sounds like new cabinets would be a godsend. My parents did formica countertops and the only reason they would change them is because they saw how crazy the guys who installed them were - esp after refusing to wear respirators while the glue was wet. My dad had to throw one crew out and demand another because they were so unsafe! But they do love the counters.

Decaying grout can be a health hazard leading to many types of bacterial contamination because it is close to impossible to thoroughly clean the grout. That alone might be a good reason to get new counters and cabinets!!

YOU will be much happier with the new kitchen, which will mean that the entire family will be happier - so why not go for it??

DammitJanet

Sounds like a plan to me!

I am actually doing somewhat the same thing with the money my dad left me. I am saving most of it but we are going to use small amounts to do upgrades on items that need replacing such as my hvac unit is old and unfit and I need underpinning on my home so I can get insurance. That is important so it will be getting done. I feel my dad would want me to do that.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't need much convincing, but I'm feeling more confident about going ahead with this. The next issue is timing, followed by figuring out how to balance my wants for the project with my budget. Sadly, I am one of those cursed with champagne taste, and while I could probably blow all the savings and be delighted with the results, another part of me is very frugal and does NOT like the idea of spending the money at all. So once I reconcile the financial demons in my head, I guess I'll move forward with this.

As for timing, I'm thinking it should wait until after we take the trip with my mom to scatter my dad's and his siblings' ashes. Some of the money is earmarked for that trip, too.

I suppose we can live without a garbage disposal for six months or so... I really don't use it all that much, to tell you the truth. About 90% of our kitchen trash gets composted. I just have to train the rest of the family to only take what they're going to eat!

DammitJanet

I will tell you that years ago, right before I actually bought this doublewide, Tony and I scrimped and saved to redo the kitchen in our singlewide. It was really bad before we started it. Single wides arent known for their lovely decor...lol. It had one of those bars to cut the kitchen from the living room and it was just an eyesore as far as we were concerned and we wanted to open the whole area up so we could use the entire space. It didnt have much in the way of cabinet space either and the countertops were a mess.

So we went to Lowes and I picked out pre-made cabinets. Oh I loved them! I got one tall one for a pantry. I got one that had the slide out trashcan. I had the lazy susan in the corner cabinet. I even had one of those cabinets that was made for pots and pans. We got a new counter top that was made so the back splash was molded in instead of being tiles and grout which just leads to water going back there and getting soggy. Then we tore up the flooring and laid new linoleum that looked like wood. I was in heaven. Oh I also got a new stove, fridge and dishwasher on the dented and scratched sale. Tony and I did all the work so all we paid for was parts.

Then my mom came and we had to buy the double wide. The kitchen in here is no where near as nice. Particle board everything. I hate it. I was going to keep that single wide and just pay it off because we only owed 4 more years on it and the payment was really low. However, because we didnt live in it and didnt go in it every single day, some of the local kids including mine, somehow got in there one day and turned the water on and left it on for who knows how long. Water overflowed and next thing we knew there was probably six inches of water covering the entire trailer. The floors were rotted completely. It was useless to even try to save it. We let the bank take it back. I put over 3K into remodeling a kitchen and for nothing. Sigh.

Star*

call 911........call 911
(Secretly wishes she lived in California because she would call Holmes on Homes and have to buy a bib.....GAW I could just watch him all day....)

Dear Friends,

We are gathered here today, to spin out of our lives. The Grindmaster 2000. "Gadget" as he was lovingly called, took a lot of garbage over the last 20 years, yet he accepted his job gladly and with open blades. It seemed the more work you gave him; the happier he was. Oh occasionally he took a little prodding (hehe) Don't we all? But here was an appliance totally dedicated to his family. Out of sight, hard working, rarely in need of repair - and eager to surpass the manufacturers warranty.

One time? I remember giving him an entire head of cauliflower - (pause for dramatic effect and blow nose) .......He just gobbled it up. Only ever asking for a drink of water to complete his task - he was like a member of our family and will be sadly missed. His step brother Composte Pile~ wanted everyone to know he will be serving refreshments in the garden should anyone care to partake after the removal service.

Family is asking for donations to the new kitchen rennovation in lieu of gas money to transport "gadget" to the recyclers.

Star*

call 911........call 911
He will be sadly missed........

And if you get Holmes at your home? OMG.....I am so there. (makes fist biting sound)

Josie

You did check the reset button on it, right? Sometimes, if it is working too hard, it will shut off to keep from overheating.

Either way, the kitchen re-do sounds like a good idea.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
CAN'T HEAR YOU HOPE -- LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LAAAA!

(Reset button? Never heard of that, lol. You're not talking about a GFI, are you? Cuz we don't got that in this old kitchen. Is this an actual button ON the disposal unit? Something I'd have to crawl under the sink to see?)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow, thanks for that little home repair tip! Some things you just never learn about unless you have to actually deal with it in real life. I think I'll enlist difficult child 1's help today to see if this will do the trick.

Star*

call 911........call 911
.......Star sits crossed legged on the floor GLARING at Hope......who has just ruined a wonderfully, and (thoughtfully) written euology......AND has cremated all hopes of ever seeing........HOLMES on HOMES.......(sigh) .......GLARING.........:angrydude:lol

DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON - :2dissapointed:IT IS ONLY A MIRAGE...........call HGTV and ask for HOLMES on HOMES.......

trinityroyal

.......Star sits crossed legged on the floor GLARING at Hope......who has just ruined a wonderfully, and (thoughtfully) written euology......AND has cremated all hopes of ever seeing........HOLMES on HOMES.......(sigh) .......GLARING.........:angrydude:lol

DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON - :2dissapointed:IT IS ONLY A MIRAGE...........call HGTV and ask for HOLMES on HOMES.......

Starbie, Holmes on Holmes actually comes from MY neck of the woods. (Although he has been known to visit the U.S. on occasion) But he's definitely from around these parts. I bumped into him at the local Costco a couple of years ago (and practically bounced off those tightly flexed muscles...) AND his latest project (Holmes Inspection) is taking place in the same town where they have that donkey sanctuary I mentioned in a thread a few months ago. Come and visit ME. I'll point you in the right direction.

busywend

I still don't get how replacing a garbage disposal means new counters and cabinets? But, far be it from me to question a new kitchen redo! I hope Hope got the humor in your posts, I saw a deleted one, so that makes me nervous.

I did enjoy the euology, Star. Brought a tear to my eyes.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Busy.......I'm touched. (no really......I am) :flirtysmile3:

TRINNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY PAL!!!!!!!!! MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!! are you kidding.....he shops at COSTCO????? MEEEEEEEEyow! That splains Soooooo much. Canadian! Go figer! I shall have to brush up on my French......(snicker) Snort.......hahaha.......(slaps herself) I could just watch a home repair man all day. And if he happens to be a little eye candy????? Well.........BOoooooooooNUS! So he's A MAPLE LEAF HUH? Wonder..............??????? (slaps again.......) LORD is it hot in here?

Okay so now I have NO reason to be glarin' at Hope .....(sorry girl)

And Busy - I don't get it either - the jump from disposal to cabinets - but then again - I have no idea how you explain going for milk and a loaf of bread and come home with boots and a purse. Somehow it HAS to work.