Risperdal dosage

Lothlorien

Missy is taking .5m twice a day. She's gained about 9 pounds since starting this several months ago. She's been spiraling lately, as I've posted. Today, was a disaster....right back to last May, when she was really out of control. She's at 81 pounds. Should I be asking for a higher dose. This was "touched" upon at her last visit, but since I thought some of her behaviors were holiday related, I didn't ask for it. Her next appointment isn't until March. I don't think we can make it that long.

What is the weight per mg ratio? Anyone know?

klmno

I don't know typical dosages, Loth, but they do vary a lot because different people react very differently on these kinds of medications. I suggest bumping up that appointment or calling to see what psychiatrist thinks.

smallworld

Risperdal, like any of the atypical antipsychotics, is dosed by clinical response rather than weight. It tends to poop out over time so Missy may need a higher dose.

How about her Trileptal? Is it at therapeutic dose?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
FWIW, difficult child 2 worked his way up to 2.5mg at one point and he weighed about 80-ish pounds at the time. Maybe even a little less.

I'd go ahead and call to tell them that the problems you've been seeing are hanging around. No need for her (or you) to continue to suffer.

slsh

member since 1999
Loth - when thank you was Missy's age, Risperdal was the miracle medication but it also got titrated up frequently. I don't remember increments but I do know that he maxed out at a whopping 8 mg a day (divided doses). At that point he had some pretty significant side effects and it really has just lost its effectiveness. He would have been just turning 9, because it was right before he left for Residential Treatment Center (RTC) #1; probably weighed about 110.

Yep, very frequent up-titrations back then. He's been back on it for 7 years (I think) and it seems like we haven't had to titrate in a very long time - current dose is 0.5 mg in the morning and 2.5 mg at night.

Lothlorien

Okay, thanks for all that info. Very helpful. I'll be calling Monday about the dosage.

Trileptal has some wiggle room still. We have an appointment. in March for that. If after titrating the Risperdal, we don't see an improvement, I will ask for an increase in the Trileptal dosage.

The combo of the increase in Trileptal and adding Risperdal (back in the summer) was the G-force in controlling her mood swings and rages.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Sorry you are having issues. Does you psychiatrist have an e-mail you can just write to him/her for questions like this.
Ours has us write with updates so she it all right there in front of her so we don't have to go over a long drawn out rehash of the past month.
Also if there is a medication question she can right me back that night and answer the question. She has time to think about it.