risperdal question

klmno

difficult child currently takes lithobid and depakote er full-time and is on risperdal PRN. For those who don't remember, he had been on risperdal for a short time and then I finally got him off but he's so sensitive to medications, that I had to titrate down VERY gradually. Anyway, there was so much going on that I can't remember what psychiatrist said risperdal is supposed to help with, other than complete mania. He wrote on the script that difficult child can take risperdal for anxiety or agitation. I'm wondering when exactly is the best time to use it and if I only use it for 2 days at a time, is it being used just to help him sleep?

The idea is to prevent him going into full-blown mania or into major raging or extreme impulsivity. Even if it is used to help him get a good night's sleep and stay on schedule, there is something to be said for that although I would think there might be safer medications to use. on the other hand, if it turned out that a good night's sleep didn't solve the problem, he'd already be on his way titrating up on the risperdal.

Anyway- for anxiety, or slight hypomania that lasts a couple of days, or raging that doesn't get out of control (he reeled himself in on his own), do you think these are the times I should give him a risperdal? I hate for him to be on it if he doesn't have to be- he gained way too much weight too fast and is very self-conscious about the stretch marks he is left with.

We do plan to put back on the risperdal full-time during the months that difficult child has always been symptommatic. At least, that is the plan right now.

I've told him some stretch marks will probably fade a little over time, since he's still growing. Does anyone know if he's going to be left with them all of his life?

Last edited:

smallworld

Because Risperdal comes in a melt-tab, my understanding is that it is frequently used PRN in response to a rage. In other words, once the child is raging, the melt-tab is slipped into his mouth to stop the rage.

If he's reeling himself in on his own, I don't see the need for a PRN medication at that time.

I could see using a PRN medication the week before school if a child is extremely anxious about starting school again.

And if a child can't get to sleep, I absolutely think there needs to be intervention. Sleep hygiene is very important to mood regulation.

If you are unsure about how you should use Risperdal with your difficult child, you should check in with the prescribing doctor.

Sorry -- I don't know anything about stretch marks.

Sara PA

The other name for the antipsychotics like Risperdal, Seroquel, Geodon, Abilify is "major tranquilizers". Being a tranquilizer, it will work on any number of symptoms where emotions are over the top. But they also mellow out other parts of the brain -- like the part that makes people feel full when they eat. I would think the short term or PRN use is better than long term continuous use if that controls the problem, just like with the minor tranquilizers (usually the benzodiazepines).

Stretch marks never really go away because it is a form of scarring but they can fade to the point that they are barely noticable.

klmno

Thanks SW & Sara! difficult child's risperdal is just a tiny dark red pill (o.5 mg). Is this supposed to melt in his mouth or is that kind different?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Our psychiatrist said that the AP's are supposed to help a lot with aggression and agitation/anxiety.

I agree with Sara and SW that unless he's unable to reel himself in, as you say, he probably doesn't need the Risperdal.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We use the M-tabs, they are in a blister pack so as to avoid moisture. You would know if you had them, they come in a box.
I don't know if these work any more for K? But we are supposed to use them the minute we see any form of agitation or mania... violence etc. When I say "see" I mean the kind that you know is going to turn into a full blown rage or cycle... that look or that attitude, delusional etc.. Know what I mean??
The hard part is at times K goes up and down SO fast that we have a hard time getting in her mouth! Once she is "out of control" she will not take it for the most part.
It is a hard call at times but I prefer this over giving it to her everyday like before. We had the increased tics, weight gain agitation all of that!
Good luck...