roast recipes

crazymama30

So lately the stores around here have had various roasts and london broils on sale. I need ideas as to what to do with them. I can do a traditional roast, or stew, and the only thing I know to do with london broil is marinade and grill. Help? They were cheap (me and my under $2/lb rule) and beef which husband loves. But now I need to cook them.

Wiped Out

Staff member
One thing I like doing with a roast is adding two cans of cream of mushroom soup and putting it all into the crock pot. About 10 hours later I take it out and quickly use a fork to help shred it. Then we either eat them as sandwiches on buns or put it over mashed potatoes.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm no help with a London Broil....I think I've eaten it maybe once in my life. LOL As for roasts....I go pretty basic.

I put mine in the crock pot frozen (around 1:00 on high if I'm home...in the morning on low if I'm not) with some water, onioin, black pepper and a little garlic powder. Or, I will slow roast it in the oven for about 4-5 hours with the same ingredients, adding potatoes near the end of the cooking time.

Now that I think about it though...couldn't you marinade the LB and cook it like a roast too?

I had an uncle who would make marinades out of whatever he found in the frig door. Pickle juice, ketchup, mustard, olive juice....whatever was in there, he would use. husband and I get one called Dale's Steak Seasoning. It comes in a clear plastic bottle similar to a 20 oz soda. I've used it by itself or mixed it with a cream soup depending on my mood and what meat I'm cooking. It has a lot of soy sauce so you get kind of a teriyaki flavor to whatever you cook. And, I've used it on more than beef...pork, chicken...pretty much anything you want although I don't know how it would taste with fish.

Another idea...at work, we have what we fondly call a "roach coach" that comes by every day and sells us food. Mostly he has stuff that is deep fried or cooked on a grill but he has this beef wrap that I love. It's basically (to my eyes anyway) loose beef that looks to have been a roast, cooked and wrapped in a flat bread with onions, peppers and cheese. To do it at home, I would guess you would just cook your roast (possibly ahead of time), shred it and make your wraps however you want. It's very good and very filling and you could make it with anything you wanted if you don't want the onions or peppers.

trinityroyal

I had an uncle who would make marinades out of whatever he found in the frig door.

I tend to be a bit random in how I make marinades too.

Here's one I like for roast beef. I can't even guess at quantities, because I just dump it all in until the meat is covered, and let it sit for a few hours.

Red wine
Crushed garlic
worcestershire cause (just a few splashes)
Black pepper
Tobasco sauce (again, only a few splashes)
Other spices as I find them in the cupboard

I put the marinated roast in a roasting pan, add very coarsely chopped potatoes, carrots, squash, peppers, onions, etc. around the roast in the bottom of the pan, and then just let it cook.

Seems to turn out really well. Leftovers get turned into sandwiches, beef soup, etc.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Sharon, I cook the roast the same way except I toss a package of Lipton's onion soup on the top as well - just gives an extra ump to the gravy :)

If I am cooking a roast that I know is going to be a little on the tough side, I marinate it in a cooking bag in the fridge, then just toss the bag in the oven and cook on low for a few more hours than normal.

I like the crock pot roasts, but easy child hates it - says it doesn't look like real meat to him (I guess because it doesn't brown)

Marcie

goldenguru

I usually toss it in the crock pot (most often frozen) with-

Fresh garlic (I use whole cloves)
A pack of Lipton onion soup mix
Chopped onion
A generous amount of red wine (probably about 1 cup)
A can of beef broth or water
Spices to taste (fresh ground pepper, thyme, a bay leaf)

Cook all day

Remove beef and thicken remaining liquids to form a thin gravy/glaze. Return roast for about 1/2 hour till it's all nice and hot.

I call it 'beef burgundy'
Serve over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice.

DDD

In the crockpot I place onions, carrots and potatoes first. The pot roast goes on top of that and usually I pop in a few garlic cloves. Then I pour one or two cans of Golden Mushroom Soup over the top. It cooks on low all day and is always just right when we get home from work. DDD

;) PS: I really don't understand why the vegetables don't get mushy but they don't! LOL

Lothlorien

Here's my marinade. I cook it on the grill. I do this with steak or London Broil. It's pretty simple.

Soy Sauce
about a teaspoon or little more of Ketchup
Garlic powder (use powder if grilling so the garlic doesn't burn)
Add Emeril Essence if you like the heat

Slice leftovers and put on a salad.

For roasts, I just like to cook them in the oven and make mashed taters and gravy. I cook roasts a little on the rare side and make sandwiches with the leftovers. I love roast beef sancdwiches with horshradish sauce and red onion.

You could always stick it in the crockpot with a "Southwestern" soup or soup mix. When it's done you can add sour cream to the soup and shred the beef. Put the beef on a tortilla with some lettuce, tomato and cheese OR just throw the whole thing over noodles.

crazymama30

Thanks all, we are roast cooked in the crock pot with a can of crm of mushroom soup and a can of golden mushroom soup, then shredded over noodles. Kinda like wiped out's recipe. I have lots of ideas now.

muttmeister

With cheap roast I make pot roast. Mix together about a cup of flour, a tablespoon or more of seasoning salt, and about a teaspoon of pepper. Moisten the roast and roll it well in the flour on all sides. Brown it in a dutch oven on all sides, in salad oil. When it is brown, pour off the oil. Pour on one can Campbell's condensed French onion soup, one small can tomato sauce, and water to make the pot full enough to about cover the roast. Cook on low, covered, till the meat is nearly tender (1-2 hours depending on size). Then add a couple of quartered onions, some whole or halved peeled carrots (I put in lots as the kids like them), and a bunch (how's that for a specific number) of halved or quarterred peeled potatoes. Cook another half hour or so till the veggies are done. Add more water during cooking as needed. Towards the end, let it cook down so the juice makes a thick gravy in the pan (should reach about half way up the meat). If you need more gravy, add more water and use the flour you rolled the roast in to thicken it.

KTMom91

Roasts go in the crock pot or the oven around here. London Broil becomes beef stroganoff, beef stir-fry, fajitas, steak sandwiches...things like that.

crazymama30

Well the roast cooked with golden mushroom soup and crm of mushroom soup came out good. husband like it but thought the texture was funny, I think it was too thick so next time I will add some water to it.

Kt mom, good ideas for the london broil. Lots of options.

Marguerite

I haven't heard of "London broil" so I looked it up. According to the link I found ([ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil[/ame]), here is how to cook it:

The preparation of London Broil typically involves marinating the meat for several hours followed by heating in an oven broiler or outdoor grill. In both heating methods the meat is placed approximately three inches from a direct heat source and turned several times to promote even cooking and avoid burning. It is commonly served in thin slices, cut across the grain.

Pot roast recipes should work well. But another option I might suggest - get the butcher to slice it for you and then freeze these steaks, flat. To use - get out one or two steaks and let them begin to thaw. While they're still very firm (mostly frozen, just beginnig to soften) slice them as thinly as you can, across the grain. You need your knife to be very sharp for this, but slicing frozen steak makes the job much easier.

Then marinate the strips of beef in a mix of one teaspoon carb soda, to one tablespoon warm water (not hot). let it soak for at least half an hour, but no more than one hour. Then rinse the marinade off the meat and use it in a stir-fry. The meat will be as tender as fillet steak. You may need to use a somewhat stronger marinade/cooking sauce than usual to cover any residual taste from the carb soda. I often use this when cooking beef in black bean sauce, or Szechuan beef, or similar. Throw in plenty of vegetables as well - tastes wonderful, and the meat goes a long way! It's also very healthy, with the low fat and extra vegetables.

I cook stir-fry the way a lot of you do marinades, by the look of a lot of your posts. In other words, I just grab what I've got and throw it all together. I taste the marinade/cooking sauce to make sure I'm happy with it, but it's fairly easy to do when you get the hang. If you want I can give you some sample simple sauce recipes. Or you can use any commercial bottles/packet ones, they work well too.

The cooking technique - have the vegetables cut into bite-sized pieces. Keep each different vegetable in a different bowl, ready at hand. Sample vegetables to cut up - onion (cut into 8 pieces then separate into 'petals'); garlic (finely chopped); root ginger (again, finely chopped, or alterntively three or four thin slices to be removed afterwards); carrot (peeled and roll-cut or sliced, you choose); bell pepper, cut into inch squares; celery sliced; leafy vegetables.

To cook - heat some oil in the wok (or frypan) and have a large dish handy. A splash of seame oil in it as well is great. Throw the vegetables in, in the order I gave above. Toss each one for a minute before adding the next. You don't have to use everything, just the ones you want. You can use others instead if you want, but I always use the onion and garlic, as a minimum. Then when al lthe vegetables have been briefly stir-fried, put the lot into the large bowl.
Next step - if you want to add some freshly roasted nuts to the recipe, do it now by browning them in some fresh oil in the wok and add them to the bowl. Now cook the meat, plus the sauce. Toss it around until it's browned through, you might need to let it simmer for a few minutes, to brasie in the wok. Then toss the vegetables back in to warm them all through, and serve.

The whole cooking process takes 5-10 minutes, no more. And to serve two hungry people - one steak is a large amount. Two steaks plus vegetables should easily feed six people.

Because this is so sparing of meat (while still giving you the amount you need in a healthy diet), this is a very economical way of feeding people on a shoestring budget. Even if you fel like a carnivore and want to pig out on met, it is still an economical way of eating it.

Good for you to find another inexpensive but healthy way to feed meat to your family (apologies to all vegetarians out there). I have some other economical cuts/recipes if you're interested, as well as a couple of vegetarian options which make great comfort food too. And a few REALLY cheap recipes/techniques.

Marg

SRL

This one is great with flank steak/London Broil.

Teriyaki Steak Marinade

Flank Steak
1 cup beef broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
¾ teaspoons season salt (ie Lawry's)
¼ cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons lime juice
½ cup brown sugar

Slice flank steak into one inch thick strips lengthwise. Mix together remaining ingredients and marinade meat for several hours. Grill steak strips over hot coals, basting frequently.

This marinade also works well with chicken and pork.

This roast is excellent--the coffee, rosemary, and pepper gives it a great flavor.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Mom-s-Roast-Beef

Sometimes roasts are cheaper than stew meat and in that case I'll use them in stew or chilli. Here are our favorites:

Oven Beef Stew

2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon chopped onion
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 stalks celery, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 potatoes, large dice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons tapioca
11 ounces (2 small cans) V-8 vegetable juice
2 beef bouillon cubes
½ cup water

Combine all ingredients in a two quart casserole that has been coated with non-stick spray. Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 3 ½ hours or until meat and veggies are tender.

Mom's Chili

2-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2-15 ounce cans red kidney beans, do not drain
3 pounds beef roast, small dice (I like shoulder roast)
1 pound pork sausage, chopped or shredded, (opt. hot)
Onions, chopped fine
Celery, chopped fine
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
24 ounce can beer (Bud Select)

Combine all ingredients and cook over low temp for at least 4 hours or until meat is tender. Remove cover for part of the time to thicken.

muttmeister

I forgot to mention that, with cheap roasts, I also often cut them into (about 1") chunks and use them to make beef stew. I remember when beef stew meat used to be cheap but now they seem to want us to pay for having the meat person cut them into chunks and it ends up being more expensive than the roast. Takes abouat 2 minutes to do and I can do it for free. And the tougher cuts are better for something like stew.

SRL

MM, I couldn't believe it when stew meat started getting pricey. When the roasts are advertiesed loss leaders they often are much cheaper. This past winter I even made a stew with steaks which were cheaper and it was excellent!

eekysign

These are for Crock-potting-----

I only skimmed the thread, so forgive me if anyone's mentioned this already: beer makes an excellent replacement for water. Takes some playing around with to figure out what flavor you like. Google Guinness Stew for an example!

Oh! And always brown your roasts in a pan, just a few flips'll do---it's amazing what it does for the taste.

Marguerite

A cheap tip - find the absolutely cheapest cut of meat you can find. For us, it's gravy beef - the shin beef that can be so very tough, it's like chewing rubber. But it's also loaded with flavour. The darker the meat, the higher the iron content, so it's also very good for you.

And to cook it - you cook it in a brasie or stew, as for any other cut of meat, but you let it simmer on a VERY low heat (the surface of the liquid barely moving at all) for three hours minimum, up to five hours. The slow cooking means the meat still stays moist and keeps all its flavour, but is almost falling apart. I thicken it with cornstarch mixed in a little water, about fifteen minutes before serving.

Other things you can try - osso bucco. Use the proper osso bucco cuts but instead of the more expensive (and authentic) veal osso bucco, try bef osso bucco (and cook as I suggested) or for a change, get lamb shanks and get the butcher to cut them into mini osso bucco cuts.

It's comfort food that is also healthy.

Oh, the connoisseurs value the marrow from inside the tubular bone in the middle of the piece - you're supposed to serve osso bucco as a whole piece of meat, with the bone in the middle. But my kids hate eating the marrow, even though it adds such a wonderful flavour and texture to the dish. So before serving, I remove the bones and scrape any marrow from the bones back into the casserole, so I can stir it in and make the sauce much more creamy and flavoursome. Then I finish by stirring in gremolata - freshly chopped garlic, parsley and lemon zest, in equal proportions.

It's a budget meal that tastes better than the most expensive gourmet dish in a five star restaurant. I've actually seen this on the menu of a top restaurant near our home - and it was really expensive. Perhaps because it needs to be cooked for such a long time at a low temperature, to get the best effect. But when I need to impress people AND save money, this is one of our favourites. I also try to take a serve down to mother in law, too - it's one of her favourites.

Recipe available if you want, but most internet resources should have it, it's fairly standard.

Marg

crazymama30

Wow, I have more ideas than I know what to do with. Tonight, bbq beef sandwiches. Tommorrow, not sure. Then when I go to work on Friday and Saturday I will have some leftovers to take. This is great. Thanks so much. Sometimes I look at what's in the freezer and have no idea what to do with it.

SRL

eekysign, I agree about the beer. A few years ago I was looking for a chilli recipe to take to a cookoff and found one that called for a can of your favorite beer. Now, I don't like beer so I just grabbed a can out of the store cooler but I was pleased with the different flavor it gave the beef. I was also surprised how different the flavors were with different brands--almost as if the cooking enhanced the different beer flavors.

I experimented around and actually found the more expensive beer didn't necessarily taste better. Eventually I settled on Bud Select...finally a use for Budweiser. ;-)