Roe vs. Wade for Men (?)

goldenguru

This has been an interesting topic to watch. This is occurring in my hometown .... so it's been a HOT topic.

Heres the link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21657694/

The short version. Boy meets girl. Girl (according to boy) says I have 'a condition' that prevents pregnancy. Sex occurs. Girl gets pregnant. The man (25 years old) says - sorry - "I'm not paying child support ($586.00/month) since you told me there was no way we could get pregnant". Goes to court. The young man loses his court case. He is required to pay support.

He says he'll take it to the US Supreme Court if necessary.

According to him - Men get a bum rap - if the woman wants an abortion there is nothing he can do. If the woman wants to parent there is nothing he can do. If the woman decides to make an adoption plan there is nothing he can do. I do understand his frustration to a small extent.

So ... what do you think??

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
As much as I hate to admit it, he has a very strong point, in my opinion.

I used to feel that it's his tough noogies. Since the woman is the one who has to deal with the pregnancy/birth and after care, not mention what pregnancy and birth do to a woman's body, the the final decision should be the woman's.

However, in his case, he only went ahead with the sexual encounter sans condom because she assured him there was no way she could get pregnant. And then, voila!, she's pregnant.

Who is to say this wasn't a case of entrapment?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think if MEN had to give BIRTH - there would be a lot less children in the world and a WHOLE lot less sex.

Get it in writing. I wonder if he had gotten a statement from her in writing that said she was unable to conceive, if THAT would have had more merit.

And as far as him not wanting to be a father? I'll be 69 and still poking my head in here, but that baby's mother will just be joining the board because his father is making a national case out of NOT wanting to be his father. That kid is going to need a lot of therapy.

witzend

Like men never lied to women about being sterile. There are too many other reasons to use a con dom with someone you don't know well enough to have an accurate medical history on for this to be a valid argument.

It's just yet another way for men to rally around an idiot so that they can ride his coattails to sex without responsibility. You know if this law were passed - and it won't be - 80% of men would be saying "well, she can have the kid if she wants, but she lied to me about birth control, so I don't have any responsibility in it at all. No child support, no emotional support."

Nu uh. Not gonna fly in the Witzend house.

If men gave birth...

Not only would abortion always remain legal...

It would be FREE.

So she has a condition that prevents her from being pregnant. Whoopie. If I'm a guy, I'm still going to insist on a condom to prevent the spread of disease. This way, there is NO way of a pregnancy happening.

Duh.

If anyone is interested in a man's opinion -- I think the guy has no case. in my opinion engaging in the act is accepting responsibility for the consequences regardless.

I do think that cuts both ways. Except in a case of rape the woman is accepting the responsibility for what happens too. For that reason I would be in favor of allowing the father a voice in objecting to an abortion, but not in objecting to keeping the baby.

[PS - The stereotypes about male behavior are often justified, but remember they are stereotypes.]

crazymama30

I have to kinda side with the guy, but think he needs more proof. If a woman wants to get pregant, she can say she is on the pill when she is not, say she can't get pregnant .... but the guy should insist on a condom just to be sure.

Kathy813

Staff member
Sorry, Herewegoagain, until a man can get pregnant and go through pregnancy and childbirth, I don't give him a vote in whether a woman continues her pregnancy.

Pregnancy and childbirth would NOT be something I would want to do against my will.

I have a feeling that this thread could get heated. People have very strong opinions on this subject.

~Kathy

DammitJanet

I dont agree with this particular case but does anyone remember the case where the woman...I think she was some sort of doctor or in the healthcare field...saved a used condom and then inseminated herself with it after the one night stand was over with? Then at some later time she had a health problem, lost her job and filed for child support. The man not only had no clue that he had fathered a kid, he didnt even remember the woman! She told him she was sterile, had a hysterectomy, and he only used a condom for protection from STD's!

Now in his case...I think he had a case of entrapment!