Root canal after/with an abcess?

flutterby

Fly away!
I had a root canal today. The tooth abscessed early Thursday morning and I've been on antibiotics since, vicodin and ibuprofen since.

The endodontist told me that it would be painful, but much better than what I had been experiencing, and that cold will never bother that tooth again.

This is my 6th root canal, so I know the drill by now, but have never had one done on a tooth that had abscessed. Anyway...the better part? Nuh uh. My cheek and tongue are still numb, but my tooth thawed out a long time ago - normal MO for me. And it hurts all the way up to my eye and into my sinuses - just like before the root canal. And cold? Like a bolt of electricity.

I called the office and the receptionist said that's normal, but it's the exact opposite of what the doctor said, and completely different from my other experiences.

Should I call the endodontist back to be seen tonight, or give it a day or two to calm down? I have to tell you, I'm pretty desperate. It's been 5 days of excruciating pain and I was really looking forward to some relief. Now that it's not happened, I want to cry. I don't seem to have as much tolerance for it as I did even earlier today.

trinityroyal

Call. Now.
Whether it's normal or not, you're in excruciating pain and they need to do something about it.

Sending many hugs, and good vibes that they can make the pain go away pronto.
Trinity

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've never had a root canal, but I've never heard of a dentist doing work on an infected tooth either. They fear driving the infection further into the bone or even into the bloodstream.

I know that when I had to have an abscessed (cracked through root) tooth pulled a while back, I had Occupational Therapist (OT) do a ten day course of antibiotics and use pain medications until the tooth was no longer "hot".

Also, it is impossible, for chemical reasons, to properly numb an infected tooth. I think it is due to Ph differences but am not sure.

flutterby

Fly away!
You get an abscess because the nerve is dying and it invites bacteria. Antibiotics will calm it down some, but the only way to get rid of the infection completely is to removed the infected tissue; hence, the root canal.

It is more difficult to get numb when you have an infection, but not impossible.

I talked to my mom who is an EFDA (expanded functions dental assistant) and I'm giving it until morning.

TerryJ2

Ouch! So sorry, Heather.
I never knew exactly how this all worked, and like some others, also assumed that you had to do antibiotics first, root canal later.
Sounds like you're in for a few days of pain, and then the relief will be permanent.
Ice maybe?
Take care.

svengandhi

I once had a root canal and the dentist put the temporary filling in. Somehow, air got into it and the pain was excruciating like you described. I was at a dinner and a friend who's a dental hygienist figured out what was going on. She tried to get the temp filling out for me but couldn't. We wound up meeting the doctor at his office at 4 AM. He pulled out the temp, there was an audible hiss and I felt so much better immediately.

Now my H has an abcess. He's on antibiotics. He went to the dentist today and was told he needed 4 root canals and 9 fillings. The dentist, who is actually the father of one of daughter's best friends, offered him the discount fee of $18K! Needless to say, we are looking for a different dentist!

Good luck to you and feel better.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I've had too many abscesses to count, too many issues with my teeth. Honestly? The night of my first root canal I had steak for dinner. I slept through another.

If it hurts that much, I'd be calling. Again. The heck with the person who answers the phone - talk to the DENTIST.

And wishing you no pain and that it comes SOON.