Rough day

TerryJ2

difficult child threw a major tantrum yesterday. We've been doing so well (notice I haven't been on the board that much lately, I've actually had time to paint :D).
But, it never lasts.
I started it, by hemming and hawing and not coming up with-a definite yes or no. So, that was the trigger. I think.
Still, with-difficult child at age 12, and on medications, and after all this therapy, I'd think there'd be a bit more restraint.
difficult child only had 1/2 day of school.
In his mind, his afternoon would consist of playing PS2.
In my mind, he would eat lunch, do his science homework (2 days and minus 10 points late) and then play PS2.

Somehow, I said he could play PS2, then do his homework, then changed the order of things and refused to give him the TV cord until he did 3 reference cards for science (all he had to do was go online or find some books to write the sources he would use to do a paper. A 3-min. project at most.)

Major explosion. And of course, I can't get away from it. He gets right up into my face and screams, I get claustrophobic, and if I try to leave, he restrains me, (grabs my arms) so I just close my eyes to keep my sanity. Then he goes ballistic because my eyes are closed and starts screaming about how nobody listens to him, nobody loves him, he never gets to do what he wants (that's the main thing, that he needs his "me" time, which he defines narrowly by playing PS2 when he's got a million other things to do here), and if he jumped off the roof, no one would care.

At that point, I started to cry and said, "If I didn't care, why would I be going through YOUR backpack, looking for YOUR 3X5 cards, helping you with YOUR homework, not getting to do what I want to do?" I walked away and very quietly said, "I need a break."
He "let" me go. I laid down on the bed for all of 5 min., when he came in and seemed calmer, but then when I went back downstairs, it started all over again.

On top of it, my crazy cousin in NY hasn't been out of bed for a wk (her bed is covered in urine and her handyman dug up an old bedpan for her. I think using your handyman for nursing svc makes perfect sense, don't you? :whiteflag:), so I called 911 to get her to the hospital and then rehab and then home health care (if she fires them again, I'll shoot her) and she is SO noncompliant and resistant, it is very difficult to deal with-her AND difficult child.

difficult child finally went to football practice, but the min he got back in the door, he started up again. OMG. KABLOOEY!

I had to fax a health proxy to the hospital in NY by 9 p.m. and couldn't find the proxy (I suspect it's lost in my cousin's bedroom somewhere ... I had the text pages but the signature pages were missing and there were no copies ... grrr) so I had to redo the whole thing and trace her signature (fine by her, she loves me and I can do no wrong) and was rushing. You know how you rush and then you can't think? And something right in front of you disappears and it gets worse and worse? I just said, "I'm not doing this at home, I'm going to Kinkos." CRASH! BOOM! Lord only knows what broke in difficult child's room ... I haven't looked yet.

I was so happy this a.m., thinking I had a whole day to myself, painting (3 huge watercolor commissions) b4 yet another half day
(Parent-teacher conferences tomorrow and no school Mon. I have NO LIFE!) and difficult child overslept, then said he saw spots and was dizzy.
Fever of 101. Home all day.

Shoot me.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Terry--

Maybe he had the meltdown because he was coming down with something and didn't feel well....? I know we are ALL a little extra cranky when we are sick.

I don't like to hear that he puts his hands on you and keeps you in front of him to yell at you. It doesn't sound like a situation to call the police about, but still--

Hope things get better.

--DaisyFace

PS--Congratulations on the commissions! It's tough selling artwork int his economy. Good for you!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hm....Calgon, take me away....

and...

Benadryl, take him away....

I'm sorry. Hopefully he'll sleep.

(by the way - just kidding about the Benadryl.)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I agree with DF -- the meltdowns were probably due to the bug coming on. :( I'm sorry it's been so carpy with him and your cousin.

Hope you get some quiet time for yourself today.

H

hoobear

Sending good thoughts for a better day. I'm still in my jammies myself:)

Holly

TerryJ2

Thank you all.
He's home again today. He had a fever when he woke up but it's gone down now. I don't understand this.
And yes, I do think the bug added to his behavior.

Parent-teacher conf. today at 1:15. The principal has been invited. Sigh.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Terry all I can say is "ick, ick, ick". I hate days like you had the other day. (Sorry I'm so late on this)

Here's to a more peaceful day.