Rough Night

tiredmommy

Duckie has been getting increasing difficult this week... disrespectful, rude, argumententative, taunting... you know the drill.

I feel hollowed out and exhausted tonight.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ugh. Sorry she's running you ragged! She's not coming down with something, is she? Besides P-I-T-A-itis, I mean...

tiredmommy

She has had a cold that I suspect may be developing into a sinus infection. But still, I'm tired of feeling beat up emotionally.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sounds like it's time for a mom's night out! I vote for handing the reins over to husband tomorrow night and going out with a friend! If you can't get out in the evening, then by all means do something wickedly selfish for yourself tomorrow while she's at school (providing she's not staying home because of the cold). Besides, husband and Duckie owe it to you tomorrow anyway... :D

M

ML

I hate when they get sick. It just puts them over the top. I so feel your pain. I like gvcmom's idea about some serious self care taking this weekend if at all possible. Hugs, ML

tiredmommy

If anything, and I mean anything, interferes with her sleep then this happens. That's why we have problems when she's sick: with a viral infection, a bacterial infection, her asthma, or allergies.

Plus, it doesn't help that husband dropped the parenting ball big time on Sunday by allowing her to watch The Amityville Horror on tv. Why, you may ask, would any parent allow a 9 year old to watch such a thing? Well, because it's been "cut" for tv... how bad could it be if it's on a network on Sunday afternoon? So... she saw a deranged father murder his children and a possessed parent kill the family dog. She has had trouble falling asleep since (and had a sleepover Saturday night. :rolleyes:)

Nice.:devil:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Oy. That movie (watched in a theater) kept ME up at night and I'm fairly immune to that sort of stuff.

Cable TV these days can be some pretty rough stuff, especially when it comes to violence.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ugh. Poor Duckie and poor mom. Not poor husband.

I have a shooting club meeting tomorrow at a kickbutt BBQ joint...wanna go?

DammitJanet

Owww. Ick. I cant do horror movies even on TV myself. I dont think they could make them tame enough for me unless they were so short they would be Hello and the end!

Sorry she is getting sick, not sleeping right and is being a PITA. husband owes you on this one.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I would say so.
K has been weird lately, weirder, her allergies are getting worse. So I can feel the pain.

Their poor bodies are working over time trying to deal with the sickness so their minds just go a bit more wacko!
They don't get it and can act like they are living a horror flick! LOL
I know how I act when I don't feel well... our kids can be evil!

I would watch the episodes and timing as well like SW mentioned though just in case.

DazedandConfused

Son is the same way as far as sleep goes; any disruption results in negative behavior and negative behavior is directed at me and his sister. Son has a cold right now and is quite oppositional to taking OTC cold medications, even though they help him sleep. He puts up a big protest, that I ignore, and insist he take them.

As far as husband....grrrrr. I didn't like horror movies as a kid and don't like them as an adult. Both difficult children have watched them at friend's houses and then came home scared to death and not wanting to go to bed. Though, I know it's common because my elementary students talk about some of the stuff their parents let them watch and its not edited for TV. I'm dumbfounded by it.

So, yes, husband owes you one.

tiredmommy

Truly, the key has always been good sleep hygiene for Duckie. I might do a sleep study at some point, but controlling factors like her breathing and no horror movies seem to help and have been a workable solution.

Thanks for the support.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
it's been my experience that when they edit movies for TV, they are primarily editing for time (so it fits in the time slot), and for sexual content.

For some reason; excessive violence doesn't seem to bother them. Personally, I'd rather see a naked person than a person getting chopped up with a hacksaw.

tiredmommy

it's been my experience that when they edit movies for TV, they are primarily editing for time (so it fits in the time slot), and for sexual content.

For some reason; excessive violence doesn't seem to bother them. Personally, I'd rather see a naked person than a person getting chopped up with a hacksaw.

Me too!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yeah. I also think sexual content is less harmful to kids (so long as it is done in a respectful sort of way), than blood and gore.

It amazes me how many really gory movies get by with a PG-13 rating, while sexual content merits an R or higher rating.

Same with video games. You do see the 'M' rating on really violent games, but some of the lower rated games are also way "out there" when it comes to violent content and language (same with TV on the language, too)

I wish we did it like they used to do living in Germany. All "adult" content movies could only be shown after 10PM, and they used to put in an hour for commercials right around supper time. The rest of the time you saw actual content.

For that, I wouldn't mind paying a small license fee for my TVs.

Of course, I spent most of my screen time in my younger days staring at a computer screen. I didn't really start watching much TV until I moved up here, became disabled, and got cable put in (beats having only one channel otherwise)