Royal Wedding - too much!

lovemysons

Hey Star...I always giggle when I see you. Smile.
My sweet husband (25 yrs this July) well he went and bought me an iPhone! I am lovin it.

It's really good to see you and everyone here.
Hugs back to ya!
Tammy

DammitJanet

I actually woke up at 4:30 in the am all by myself without an alarm! I had set my dvr to record the wedding because I had taken my medications and fell asleep about midnight but somehow I woke up right about the time they started the pre-wedding show...lmao. I must have been on some sort of wedding alert in my sleep. I got up, went potty, fixed myself a bagel since I dont have crumpets and settled in for a wedding! Tony woke up around 6 to find me glued to the tv tissues in hand...lmao. I kept going...Oh Tony...look at them...the next King and Queen! He just yawned, scratched and said...yeah okay...lmao. MEN!

Malika

I did watch The Wedding in the end. I was at a friend's house in the morning and as she has a television... I asked if we could put it on around the time of the service (feeling I should do my patriotic duty or at least glimpse some of what has been causing such furore and interest...). The wedding... William looks like a solid, quite open human being and hopefully he will actuallly adhere to his wedding vows unlike his dad, it was a beautiful dress and... those hymns! Funereal dirges that I remember from school, with shots of Prince Philip mumbling along and the Queen looking stoically embarassed during "God Save the Queen". The wedding service seemed to me singularly lacking in Joy... A thoroughly English upper class affair, decent and deathly dull... But I wish them well.

Marguerite

I was enjoying those hymns, Malika. When sung properly, they are (for me) among the most stirring. It was interesting, husband noted, that for an Anglican service, they used Methodist/Wesleyan hymns.

John Rutter's music (sung by the choir) is always a favourite of husband's & mine. I used to have a cousin who wrote music for the Royal Family, a few decades ago. I like John Rutter's music better.

Marg

Malika

Sorry Marguerite - no offense to anyone who finds them meaningful! I dare say they just remind me of too many tedious a school assembly, shuffling around just waiting for it all to be over...

BusynMember

Guess I'm he only one that didn't watch it at all. I feel like I SHOULD be into it, but I can't. On the other hand, I know a lot of other people who aren't either. Some are and some aren't. I don't think I watched Charles and Diana either...

I know. I'm a deadbeat :)

N

Nomad

I watched about 4-5 minutes of it. Just made a decision NOT to. Nice, but it is NOT my thing.

A little off topic...but did anyone see the movie "Kings Speech?" husband and I saw this recently and thought it was VERY good.
Heartwarming. Worth renting, etc.

Marguerite

We're wanting to see that film. Will have to wait for it to come out on DVD.

Malika, you didn't offend me. I also had a lot of boring school church services. I was interested to note those who didn't know the words and who were struggling. Time delay taken into account, of course. It IS difficult in a large, long space like that.

When I was a kid, we used to have an annual Wesley Day service in our district. The Wesleyan hymns, sung under those conditions, in a church loaded for bear with many choir members, sounded fabulous.

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
Weren't the words/verse posted in the Royal Wedding 'menus' (lack of better word bad brain day) that everyone had? I would so love to have one of those. But yes the funniest thing was the first song that was three verses long - I'm not sure I think it was they hymn to honor the late Princess Diana, but it was like no one knew it was three verses long and after the end of the first verse some people were caught nearly sitting down. Then it went on, and on and the organ stopped and you could see people didn't have a clue, and then the third verse started up and people were just looking around mouthing words like little birds. The only ones on camera that even knew the words were Prince Charles, HRM Camilla, The Queen, Prince Phillip - and Will and Kate. I didn't see anyone Oh yes -the Prime Minister. Past that? Not very many looked like they did even with the time delay.

Then there was one man in the choir that I swear he had to be the most over the top person ever to be in a choir - his facial expresions, eyebrows, his whole upper torso when he sang - it looked as if he were going to BURST in two. I don't think there was a happier person in that choir. He was jubillant to say the least.

However - just to be included at all? Remarkable, memorable, and a well spent two hours. I've done far worse with two hours that are less memorable. It was nice that we were invited.