Rude awakening this morning 3:45 a.m.

C.J.

....by a bunch of road construction machinery - beginning to do road re-surfacing on my RESIDENTIAL street!

At first, when I heard the noise, I thought it might be the street sweeper machine, but it didn't move on down the road. Then N* came into my room to ask what was going on - because - hey at 3:45 a.m. I am the expert on everything!

I got dressed and went outside - the machinery and vehicles were not government issue (no gov't logos). I found the supervisor sitting in a truck and asked him what was going on. He stated the obvious - road work - and I asked him who authorized them to be doing this type of work at this time of night. He gave me the name of the city I live in, so I went inside, got the phone book out, and called the city manager's office, my city councilman's office, and the street maintenance supervisor. I took the cordless phone outside and left a voice mail message for each one. "Good morning! This is CJ, and I live at XX. You'll notice I'm shouting over the din of road construction machinery that you've so thoughtfully sent to my RESIDENTIAL street at 3:45 a.m. First of all, I'm shocked that the city is spending money to resurface this street which is in good order already with a recession going on - considering there are other streets in this city in FAR worse shape than this one. Congratulations on sending out the cut rate crew! If any one of you great brains behind this city approved project have the nerve to respond, you may contact me at XX."

I received a call back at 8:15 a.m. from the city manager's office who was annoyed that I referred to him as a "great brain" - and then had the nerve to tell me that there were no city projects scheduled for my street - and perhaps it was being done by the neighboring city. I realize he does not know I am a well informed citizen - and know that the neighboring city's border is on the corner north from my house - and this road crew was headed south - inside my city's boundaries....and for goodness sake, why would the supervisor I spoke with tell me they were authorized by my city? The man promised to call me back.

As I left to go to work 15 minutes later, I drove south down my street - and ran into a road crew from the city - complete with uniforms, trucks and machines emblazened with my city's logo everywhere. I slowed down to ask one of the workers when they started this morning - he said 8:00 a.m! City manager's office is sure on top of things!

A little while later, a man called from the street maintenance dept to tell me that the group that awakened me this morning was a subcontractor - who he had authorized to work at night. I asked him if he planned on authorizing them to work in his neighborhood at that hour of the night, or just mine. (I admit - there are times I do go too far.) He apologized for the noise, and said he thought they'd be done by 10:00 p.m. I explained with the city workers already on the job at 8:00 a.m. this morning, he had to have known that the work the subcontractor was assigned had to be completed before 8:00 a.m.

In any case, he told me he'd contacted the subcontractor and has informed them they can work from 7:00 a.m to 10:00 p.m. Had I not called, the subcontractors would have done this again tonight (and other nights) all the way down the street I live on...

difficult child's do grow up...some of them work in our governments - Yikes!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
CJ - I think it's a Midwest thing. They do this to us too! Sewer pump got a generator put on it after the wind storm last September... They fired it up at 2:15 AM. After we all went to bed late trying to figure out what we were all doing for power. That thing was LOUD - and it was three houses down! I can only wonder what the guy who lived right there thought. Though for him, serves him right as he revs his muscle car engine all the time!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
OMG! In our town, construction in residential areas, whether by private contractor or city crews, may NOT begin before 7:00am. Even our trash trucks do not start before then!

Glad you let them know what a royal screwup that was! Sheesh...

'Chelle

Sorry about the "great brains" you had to deal with. I do know that in our city it's illegal to do this stuff in residential neighborhoods between 10pm-7am, unless it's emergency type work. I know because it was tried by a subcontractor in our neighborhood, and my husband called the police on them. They had to shut it down until 7am or they would get a hefty fine. I agree with you, they'd never do it in their own neighborhoods.

donna723

You have my sincere sympathy! I know exactly what you mean!

With me it's the Sunday night street sweeper. I have a huge yard with a city parking lot next to it running the whole length of the yard - seperated by a little row of trees. My yard and this parking lot take up the whole city block but the side of my house is very close to the parking lot. And every Sunday night, without fail, the contracted street sweeper will come! Lord only knows, they can't do this in broad daylight, so they come anywhere from 11:00 p.m. to 1:00 or 2:00 a.m.! It's one of those BIG street sweepers and the thing is REALLY loud! They run it up and down that parking lot for at least a half hour, just a few feet from my bedroom windows. And sometimes I get really lucky and they whip out a leaf blower and go all around the edges! Then they drive the thing down the street next to my house and up to the court house parking lot a half-block away - I can still hear it!

It wouldn't be so bad on a Friday or Saturday night when I could sleep in a little the next morning, but I have to go to work on Mondays and I get up super early! Grrrrrr! :mad:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I think I'd have at least attempted to have them all cited for Disturbing the Peace. And mostly likely would if work was going on before 9am and after 9pm. People have lives.....there are small children who do like to sleep. sheesh

That's our city's ordinaces......nothing before 9am or after 9pm. Except trash...and that is annoying enough!

Good for you for letting them have it.

Hugs

Marguerite

It seems that around the world, the regulations are that in residential areas such noise has to be limited to after 7 am and before 10 pm. In our area, we get an extra hour of sleep-in on weekends.

It's the same with private noise makers - anyone starting their lawnmower before 7 am on a weekday or 8 am on a weekend, get dobbed in to their city council or even the police.

Next time, if you can't get the home number of the person who has authorised this so you can ring him when the trucks arrive, I'd be going straight for the police and asking them to move on the noise-makers.

But on the subject of the recession - as we've found in Australia, spending money on this sort of thing is helping reduce the recession. It seems nonsensicial I know, but it's working down here. We're still in recession eventually, but it's not hitting us as hard as it originally looked like it would. Our government is (as I type this) sending out another $900 per person who submitted a tax reutrn last year. it IS means-tested, but husband & I get the full $900 each. We've been told that the patriotic thing to do is get out and spend it frivolously. Immediately.

Marg