S.C. Retirement Commity Info Sought.

DDD

My bro called yesterday and has decided to sell his big house and move into a retirement community. He's gathering brochures from different places...in different States. One is S.C. I'm trying to find highly rated (by State) continuing care communities. He is well but at eighty he may not be in a few years. I don't think he "knows" that there are communities where you can start off with your own single home and then move over to ALF and subsequently nursing home locations on the same property. He's mentioned Savannah and Columbia SC as possibilities. He's always lived in a nice environment and I think he can afford something above average...although not on a Donald Trump level, lol.

I'd like to see which ones are rated highly by the government inspections. Can't figure out where to find the list but I'm sure annual inspections are mandated. I probably shouldn't get involved at all but on the other hand I think he'd be best moving to one location for the duration of his life...not having to relocate when his health fails or his needs change. Anybody know which way I should go on the net looking? DDD

klmno

I'd look around Hilton Head and see if they have communities like that- I'm not sure they do but since a lot of upper middle class, middle aged people LOVE that area, I would think they'd have senior living communities around there.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader

DDD

I found the State report on nursing homes by not on CCRC's. Under ALF listings I only found one of the three CCRC's that I had identified as possibilities listed there. Since they are step down communities I rather expected they would all be listed. Hmmm...very interesting. Thanks for the guidance. DDD

He's vacationed at HH a number of times but there are relatives in the other two SC cities so I'm assuming he is more likely to head there. on the other hand, lol, we are not too close in recent years.

DammitJanet

DDD...I know they have some wonderful places like that in Myrtle beach. I see the advertisements on TV here all the time because I get the channel on my cable. Let me do some checking for you. The one that I see on TV starts off in their own condo on a golf course and then goes from there. Of course, Myrtle Beach is lovely, if I do say so myself...lol.

DammitJanet

DDD....put this in senior living communities in myrtle beach sc and google those exact words and you will get a ton. Bridgewater is beautiful, Myrtle Beach Manor is lovely, and Agape is the one I see on TV all the time. I have been to Myrtle Beach Manor before myself. You can see the floor plans for most of the places online as well as what services they provide. All have the live on your own, to assisted living to nursing home care provided in one of the most beautiful areas around.

Star*

call 911........call 911
The only one that most of the upper crusties I've ever worked for would ever consider putting THEIR parents at - and their PARENTS went to before they needed ALF was Still Hopes. It's here in Columbia/Cayce. I belive it's a nominal $5k a month to start for the lower end housing units.

DammitJanet

well I cant promise that price at Myrtle Beach. I didnt see the prices because I think you buy the original home, then it moves on from there to go further. But I have seen the places and if I have my druthers, put my rear end there. I would happily end my days looking out at the Intercoastal waterway while having someone making sure I am fed and lots of fun activities are going on around me. Having a van take me out to see a few shows once in awhile at Barefoot landing or Broadway at the Beach sounds like a wonderful way to go to me.

everywoman

3D there are several south of Myrtle Beach---in Litchfield beach---The Lakes is very nice. We also have one here in my little town. It is managed by a friend of mine. They residents there were an extra in the movie The Notebook. It is called Morningside. One of my teaching sorority sisters is a resident and she loves it. Ms. Martha is about 80, but still pretty mobile.

DDD

Thank you all. I have decided to write my brother a letter and hope it is received in the right light. He has lived alone for eight years since his wife died and he is "a bit" strange, lol. Not that I am normal either. I just want to make sure that he knows about CCLC's as an option rather than just retirement communities. Moving to another State, emptying his four bedroom home and rejoining society are all huge steps. As a retired AF Col. he's not really good at listening or taking suggestions.

on the other hand, I want to make sure that he "knows" what his choices are before he relocates. It's a bit iffy if this is a good choice on my part. For no apparent reason he stopped contacting me for a few years and only called a few months ago (out of the blue) to say "I am calling to apologize for being a lousy brother. I don't know why I stopped calling you as you did nothing to deserve it. Will you forgive me?"

Of course I accepted the apology and have enjoyed our reconnection. My letter could make him decide to avoid me again...yikes. Could be seen as too intrusive? Who knows. I'm sure my husband would tell me to stay out of it. on the other hand I believe it is the right thing to do...so I'm going to mail it today. Fingers crossed that it is received in the spirit desired. I'm making notes on your responses so IF he does decide to explore CCLC's I can get some brochures sent to him. Thanks, as always. DDD

klmno

Given that info, maybe you could just write the letter about typical stuff you normally talk about then just asked if he'd considered this type of living community and mention that you've heard of several, throw out a few names, and leave it at that. That's my suggestion anyway. If he's a retired officer, he's had his share of moving and probably knows that aspect of it very well. He may have already checked into a variety of options with some of his old cronies. LOL!

DDD

We don't communicate via correspondence. Guess we will now, lol. He is very, very isolated by choice. I am quite sure he does not have any connections in the real world except my sister and her husband. His only other contacts are people who go to his gym (doesn't see them outside of the gym) and a few people from church that he exchanges "good morning" with each week. He and his wife had a lifestyle that was almost exclusively the two of them...limited contact with their three children even before they left home. More than a bit odd. Then he cared for his wife (at least 90%) without outside help until needed near the end. He's 6'2" and when his wife died he weighed under 140.

We'll see how, or if, he reacts to my letter. Even if it puts me back on his list to ignore I know in my heart that "somebody" needed to offer the information and my sister wants distance from him. I'm comfortable with my choice. It may backfire but it was made out of love and concern. Fingers crossed.
DDD

DammitJanet

If he was an AF Col. He may well have visited the MB area at some point in time. There used to be a very big AF base there until about 15 years ago.

DDD

Probably, Janet. Like I indicated I don't really know too much about his current likes and dislikes. That's an understatement, lol. But he told me he is considering Indiana (he is a Purdue grad and his family lived there for a few years when he came home from Nam). He's considering the greater Difficult Child area (he spent his last ten years or so working at or near the Pentagon). He's considering SC since there are some relatives there. My guess would be SC as the weather is milder and pace is slower. For over twenty years he has lived in a WV area that makes where I live look sophisticated by comparison, lol. I'm also guessing that he "may" want to avoid hurricane prone areas due to the disruptiveness to daily living.

:sigh: Fact is I probably could choose where CD family members might want to retire with greater accuracy. Me?? I just hope to retire before I'm 80! LOL DDD

CrazyinVA

Staff member
My parents retired to Aiken SC and lived there for many years. It's about an hour west of Columbia, near the GA border. Lots of options in the area, so you may want to consider that as well, if he's open to a smaller town.

DDD

Thanks Crazy and Janet. Are they CCLC's?? IF I ever hear back from him (who knows, lol) I'd love to have "kinda" personal knowledge of the step down facilities. Like I said he is a bit unusual and I think he may need to live in a community that goes all the way down to Altz. care. I hope I'm wrong and he is just displaying signs of isolation but it's possible it's early stage dementia and I would want him to be very well cared for wherever he goes. DDD