$%)#@)$(##$ (S/O's job offer :( :( )

Mattsmom277

Courier just arrived with what S/O assumed was a formal employment contract or something, not that we were expecting a delivery but we figured what else could it be since it was from the company we assumed he'd be working for come Monday.

Opened it to find a one page short letter thanking him for participating in their "recruitment process". Saying they reviewed their needs and do NOT in fact need new hires at this time, so sorry, good luck with searching for employment etc.

WTF??? This is obvious a form letter chalk full of BS. They were hiring FIVE new hires and we KNOW people in the company who KNOW they need new people. The interviews (2 of them) went well, he flew through their testing process at a outside contracted company that does these for them, his references were all very positive and he was OFFERED the job. He was to hear this week as to what day to go to a company employed doctor for the mandatory physical and drug test, then he'd get a start date which was eluded to being this coming Monday.

We wondered how it was we hadn't heard with a medical appointment time yet, figured we'd hear Monday and then when that didnt' happen, figured Tuesday, which passed. Then this morning THIS.

WTH??????? Any ideas?? He's gutted in a way I've never seen him. He's also panicking as we NEED him working and it turns out his former employer did NOT have an opening although they'd love to hire him back. They just don't have any room to hire another person right now. These 2 companies are the best employers locally in his field. Poor S/O. He just chucked his breakfast in garbage barely touched and is in the bathroom for a long time now. I suspect he's having a mini melt down that he doesn't want to do in front of me. He's a proud man and hard working. Having me support him right now is HARD for him. Also, we NEED money and SOON given all the travelling for court cases that I'll be needing to do beginning in August. He also hates being behind on his child support for his daughter, and was anxious to get pays coming in again and rapidly getting back on track with his payments.

We just don't need this right now :(. Not to mention IF he finds a job quickly, no other employers in town pay what employees are worth, this town stinks for employment which is why we are relocating in 2 years (well one of the reasons). So any job he gets now will be a HUGE disappointment salary wise.

Dang nabbit this isn't right to offer him the job, take him through a multi step hiring process where he did excellent, offer him a job and a tentative start date, then send him a cold form letter signed by a secretary to pull out of the offer. Not to mention the 2 weeks he wasted not putting out resumes as it was obvious he was getting this position. I'm furious for him. :(

Malika

How upsetting and frustrating, Mattsmom. In your place I would be intrigued and impatient to know what happened - would it satisfy anything for you or your partner to contact the company to ask them what on earth has gone on here?
I hope and pray that your partner will find good employment soon. Sounds like he is a talented and hard-working chap who really wants to get a job so, all things being equal, the universe should listen...

Mattsmom277

:( Thanks everyone. We're talking about it and obviously wondering through scenarios of what might have happened if something possibly went wrong and of course the chance the letter is honest that they reviewed their needs and found they weren't in fact in a position to take more new hires. I just finally said we can talk till we're blue in the face but it won't change that the job is off the table and we'll drive ourselves nuts going round and round and just be more frustrated.

S/O did leave a message for the women who was his contact at HR with the company. We'll see if she calls back and if she does if the story matches the letter or perhaps more detail which might set S/O's mind at ease that it was NOT him that was a problem.

TerryJ2

Glad you left a msg. The first thing I would have done is to call and ask what happened, since he was offered the job by Mr. X.
So sorry!!!

Malika

:( Thanks everyone. We're talking about it and obviously wondering through scenarios of what might have happened if something possibly went wrong and of course the chance the letter is honest that they reviewed their needs and found they weren't in fact in a position to take more new hires. I just finally said we can talk till we're blue in the face but it won't change that the job is off the table and we'll drive ourselves nuts going round and round and just be more frustrated.

S/O did leave a message for the women who was his contact at HR with the company. We'll see if she calls back and if she does if the story matches the letter or perhaps more detail which might set S/O's mind at ease that it was NOT him that was a problem.

I hope you get to talk to someone about it. On the face of it, it's odd. Seems incompetent, to say the least, to go through a recruitment process, offer someone a job and then a few days later suddenly "realise" that you don't actually need more staff. I think you need to have more information to set your minds at rest.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I think the phone call was a good idea, it's only fair after putting him through all that, that they give him a better explanation. The only thing I can think of is that higher-ups instituted a hiring freeze and the timing of it meant they had to rescind their verbal offer. There was a company here years ago that had a huge lay off, and there were a group of folks who had been hired less than a week before they were laid off. Case of the right hand not talking to the left; that happens a lot in big companies unfortunately.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so very sorry. This is just plain WRONG. I really really HATE short term planning and short term profit maximization that leads companies to treat people like this. (((((hugs)))))

seriously

Sounds like the PTB changed their minds or hadn't approved of the hiring plan and it finally crossed their desk long enough for them to say Hell No.

Sorry for the disappointment. That is truly tough to be at that point in the process and get a form letter.

I agree with double checking. It might have been sent to SO in error - you never know.

Mattsmom277

Still no response from the message he left, so no answers there yet as to why. Maybe they won't be returning the call at all.

Meanwhile, he went to 2 companies and is back now. One said they are hiring and would be in touch next week. The other company showed relief as they haven't had many qualified applicants. He was given a contact name and told he should be contacted fairly quickly for a interview. One woman at one place from HR said after reading his resume, he shouldn't have a hard time getting a job. Gosh I hope she's right.

keista

Sorry you got such a kick in the butt. I also was thinking it could be in error, one can wish, right? Good news that 2 out of 2 new options seem promising. Keeping positive thoughts for you.

KTMom91

I'm so sorry...I know how you feel, too. Sounds like your SO regrouped pretty well...hope something turns up quickly. Hugs.

H

HaoZi

I sure hope he is able to find something good fast. Bites how that other one handled everything.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
M- it is curious that this company would pay for a courier to personally deliver this letter instead of sending it through the mail. If the company was trying to cut or keep costs the same, one would think they would send it through the mail unless they were trying to CYA for one reason or another.

Was SO's offer in writing? Does he have proof of the offer?

Since you know people in the company, any chance of getting the real scoop from them?

Suz

klmno

I agree with Suz. I had been led to think I had banked a job once last year, only to learn someone else was offered it. I understand the frustration- and your situation even went further than that. I hope he finds something he likes soon- I'm not sure I'd WANT to work for that company after this.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm so sorry.

What is this anyway? The get there hopes up so you can kick em when their down week?? omg

(((hugs)))