Sad news, could use some prayers please......

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Well, this is the gift that keeps on giving...............this morning, somewhat fatigued from yesterdays events and all the emotions, SO and I began talking...............pretty soon it evolved into a serious conversation where we both got really REAL........saying things in relation to my daughter which then opened up to other things.........it was GREAT!! It was easy and natural and more openings were created.

We shared our small resentments and the differences in the way we see things...........he is not my daughter's father and he has really never met the "real" difficult child, only the one who has acted so badly. We discussed many things over a couple of hours! It just happened as a result of the cat issue.

Everything continues to feel as if we are all in the exact 'right' place. And, I, although a tad tired, am feeling very light and very comfortable inside myself. Continuing to remain open to just what is.......

Echolette

That is great! I wonder why we were all so afraid to be true to ourselves all this time...it really does feel good to be ourselves, and be part of the conversation, instead of managing and suggesting and hiding and evaluating the situation from some third person place. Were we all depersonalized by our childhoods or our own insecurity? But this is good!

No mud no lotus. Out of our despair comes light. The gift that keeps giving. Yay!

SeekingStrength

Recovering, thank you for posting along the way of how you are functioning and thinking lately. I rejoice for you, feel real possibilities for the future....and am trying to absorb some of this.

How you have gotten stronger and "worked" the process is encouraging for me.

Sent from my iPhone using ConductDisorders

Scent of Cedar *

I am listening to Pema Chodron's Don't Bite the Hook.

I know you are reading her too, Recovering. I am going to post a little bit about what she had to say in this six hour CD set. It was very good.

Things are / feelings are:

Pleasant.
Unpleasant.
Or neutral.

If we can recognize the feeling for what it is and then, not build a story around it to justify our emotions, we can stay present. To the degree that we can stay present, we can see.

I realized this morning that I am in a bound place regarding the male who did what he did to my daughter. I was so aware of that place I could be, the victimized mother, so innocent, so betrayed...and you should see the rage that was under THAT imagery. I got the manipulation piece there, too.

They call staying with the feeling "sitting in the fire." The instruction is to breathe the feelings in and breathe out a space around them. No story line, that way. No building a case for our vengeance or hatred or rage.

I found that helpful.

THOUGH I REALLY ENJOYED BUILDING MY STORY LINE ~ HOO BOY!

Ahem.

:O)

Definition of compassion:

A mother with no arms
whose child has fallen into the river.

I do not find our situations here so much different than that.

Cedar

tryagain

Oh no. I am so sorry and, having a daughter who passionately loves her aging furbaby kitties (that I take care of now), I can feel the pain coming off the page. It is difficult enough for a stable person to deal with a pet dying, but it's grief on steroids with an unstable person. What a mean roommate. Prayers being said for you and your daughter right now.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thank you again for all of your support, it always means so much.

SO and I went to the ocean yesterday, hiked along the cliffs overlooking the Pacific, it was a perfect day. There's a tiny little hole in the wall coffee shop on the way we have become sort of "regulars" at.......they have the best homemade scones I've ever tasted! Being on the ocean and experiencing that vastness always offers me a different perspective, I'm able to see how tiny my personal issues really are in the face of that enormous ocean...............the waves keep crashing to shore regardless of what is going on in my life..............throughout my life, being near the ocean has always had an enormous positive impact on me. And SO too.

.it really does feel good to be ourselves, and be part of the conversation, instead of managing and suggesting and hiding and evaluating the situation from some third person place.

Yes Echo it really does.

I talked to my daughter last night. She sounded pretty good. She chatted away about her present life in jail...........I listened. I didn't say much at all. I'm still in my 'silent mode.' I think now that many of the details of her outside life have been taken care of, she can just relax and do her time.

She was actually pretty excited about taking a bunch of classes, I had to smile at one point as I listened to her enthusiasm, in another life she could have been talking about being away at school and the new classes she is taking...........no past, no future, just her present joy in what she has chosen to do. I felt comforted by that and happy for her. I remembered Cedar mentioning how she was talking to her daughter about mushrooms and it was so good............and then she slipped into "Mother Mode" and the energy shifted. I didn't want to do that.................and I didn't. So, she continued chatting easily.

Towards the end she said, "Thank you so much Mom for all that you've done, there is no way for you to know how grateful I feel. It means so much to me." She was earnest and honest and I felt the truth of that statement and how much it meant to her that I am still here in her corner, loving her.

I believe her acknowledgement of her gratitude towards me is a big step for her in this detachment/acceptance process. I've stopped all of the giving which defined enabling and changed into the mother of an adult..........the mother of someone who is over the age of being a child or even a young adult, the time in life where parenting is no longer a guiding force, where two adults are now present and separate in their own unique and natural spheres of influence. As in Cedar's "deconstructing the birds nest", at least for my way of seeing this now, there is a time where that "Mother Mode" has to stop, detaching has to happen. I think usually, in a healthy kid, that is a natural progression. However, it it doesn't happen, then we really must "deconstruct the nest."

My daughter has had no "nest" for a long time, she has been flying around being thrown from thermal to thermal in an attempt to find her self, or maybe just to survive. I read once that growth is like that. A bird wanting to fly higher has to change thermals and once they leave the comfort of that first thermal, they are thrown all over as the force of the wind catches them and flings them around helplessly until they engage in the next thermal. That middle time is pretty chaotic and frenzied.

Once my daughter lost her home, her 'nest' 4 years ago, life has been lived in between thermals. Total chaos.

Her new found appreciation for me and my ability to feel "seen" by her has opened a new door for us. I am not sure where that door may lead us, if anywhere, but for right now, it is enough. Something has shifted, her heart is opened just a little bit. She sounded younger and lighter and not so hardened. She has 45 more days to go. Now that we are more or less settled in to this new normal and all the details are figured out............there is nothing more to 'do.' The 'breakdown' part is over, perhaps we are looking at a breakthrough. I don't know.

Perhaps being removed from the continual, unrelenting, daily surviving will offer her a needed rest from life where she can make different decisions. I don't know. It may not.

Yesterday, while we were hiking along the ocean, I was noticing my mind wanting to jump into the future, to figure stuff out, to control what hasn't even happened yet. I've been observing that a lot lately. As it happened, I gently shifted my focus back to the present moment where I could feel that ocean air, smell the salty breezes, feel the joy being there brings me...........it's a practice. I am doing that practice often and it works to bring me back in to the present moment.

Today everything is okay, we are all in the right place. It is going to rain and I am going to make soup. This is a new day. I think I'll go enjoy it...........

Echolette

I think the changes you have made to stop trying to control or enable your daughter, to stop advising/helping (and thereby creating debt) criticizing implicitly or explicitly, that those changes have allowed her the space to express gratitude and love. I think sometimes they are afraid to express those things to us because they are afraid we'll see that as a chink in the armor, an opportunity to leap in with more suggestions and unsolicited help.
The process you have engaged yourself in is healthy for you and all around you.
I'll glad you could bring yourself back to the moment while you were by the sea. There is no better moment than this.
Hugs to you today,

Echo

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Scent of Cedar *

Being on the ocean and experiencing that vastness always offers me a different perspective

the waves keep crashing to shore regardless of what is going on in my life

Yesterday, while we were hiking along the ocean, I was noticing my mind wanting to jump into the future, to figure stuff out, to control what hasn't even happened yet. I've been observing that a lot lately. As it happened, I gently shifted my focus back to the present moment where I could feel that ocean air, smell the salty breezes, feel the joy being there brings me...........it's a practice. I am doing that practice often and it works to bring me backin to the present moment.

It is a practice, isn't it, Recovering. I liked the way you wrote that you had been observing these things of late. A separate observation, almost a curiosity about, and an acknowledegement of, emotion. I think I am not in that place, yet. I am surprised to see the emotions I feel as a choosable moment.

Like choosing the shade of the next color in the tapestry.

I wrote on another post about having confronted my mother last night. It was easy, right, clean...and over and done with. No recriminations. No mulling things over and no resentment.

I am still sampling all this. It was like what you describe in a way, Recovering. I just wasn't as vulnerable to her, anymore.

Fear steals our presence, steals our ability to be rooted in the present.

It was so easy, Recovering.

Cedar

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Like in your dream Cedar, you are still flying fast through this stuff, confronting Mother is, in my opinion, the big bugaboo, facing the dragon............you are so brave, like David with Goliath, I was so happy to read about this. And, it made me smile that you and husband called his mother right after, that seemed perfect, like the period at the end of a sentence. You've taken a stand for Cedar. You've changed the tapestry, now the threads are your choices, not you succumbing to someone else's design. Great job Cedar!

Fear steals our presence, steals our ability to be rooted in the present.

I am reading When things fall apart and there is a lot to absorb about not allowing fear and hope to rule us. "Hope and fear is a feeling that has two sides, as long as there's one, there's always the other. In the world of hope and fear, we always have to change the channel, change the temperature, change the music, because something is getting uneasy, something is getting restless, something is beginning to hurt and we keep looking for alternatives. Abandoning hope is an affirmation, the beginning of the beginning. Hope and fear come from that feeling that we lack something, they come from a sense of poverty. We hold on to hope and hope robs of us our present moment. Giving up hope is encouragement to stick with yourself, to make friends with yourself, to not run away from yourself, to return to the bare bones, no matter what is going on. Fear of death is in the background of the whole thing. It's why we feel restless, why we panic, why we feel anxiety. But if we totally experience hopelessness, giving up all hope of alternatives to the present moment, we can have a joyful relationship to our lives, an honest, direct relationship, one that no longer ignores the reality of impermanence and death."

It correlates to what you and COM were talking about on another thread about how when we finally let go of our difficult child's, it is the beginning.

I've wrestled with this concept of hope for a long time now. I could see how in some ways it keeps me stuck. Stuck in the future, not here in the present. I can easily start that process up right now while my daughter is in jail............'this is the bottom, she will get it together now............hoping for something, for this to end.' But, I am really making every attempt to not do that, to recognize that I have no idea what is going to happen, to stay in that vulnerable place of uncertainty. I am practicing this all the time now, minute to minute, observing my mind going out to the future, gently bringing it back. As we do in meditation, but all the time.

We are all doing so well with our 'beginnings' each one of us learning to live within this uncertainty, this chaos ..........and in our vulnerability, we are forging a new way to BE. I feel in awe of it and excited by it. I am reminded of something I heard that is attributed to Buddha, "the only difference between fear and excitement, is breath." We are breathing new life into ourselves. In the midst of all of it, there is still joy.

Scent of Cedar *

This is just right for now, Recovering. I have been edging into the what-is-going-to-happen with my own daughter. Once I see it, I can practice with the breath in and the space on the breath out to put a separation between myself and my fear. (Or between myself and whatever emotion I've chosen to cover fear, in my denial.) I am getting better at that. Once we see what we do, then we know how to unravel the feeling state, the next time.

It is a strange thing to watch myself cover and uncover, to watch myself create a storyline. It is easy to let it go, but hard to see it.

Pema Chodron has been good for me, too.

The strangest thing is that I had seen Pema Chodron on Oprah's Soul Sunday once, and didn't like her. I mean like actively did not like her. You found her of such value though, that I began reading her work.

So helpful to me, Recovering.

Ha! Thanks for mentioning the whatever that was with my mother. I have been catching myself making storylines all around that. I am just going to leave it alone. Again, the process of creating the storyline was automatic. Catching myself at it, realizing what I was doing, it was easy enough to stop.

:O)

Cedar

You know I pray for you, and for your daughter, each time I think of you ~ or even of my own daughter ~ many times throughout the day.

I think our daughters do not think about jail the way that we do, Recovering. Lately, as I've been letting go of my uber-responsible mother role (which turns out to have been self serving storyline, in that no one could accuse me of being uncaring ~ hoo boy, this uncovering never stops). Anyway, a benefit of that, when I can remember to do it, is that I have been able to laugh with my daughter and mean it. Not laughter at the craziness of what she does, but real laughter, gentle and sweet and kind. I'm looking at it like I'm losing her, Recovering. That may not happen, but if it does, I wanted to have been real with her, not her mom, not her banker or judge.

It's been good for me.

Cedar

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm looking at it like I'm losing her, Recovering. That may not happen, but if it does, I wanted to have been real with her, not her mom, not her banker or judge.

Beautifully stated Cedar.

Giving up hope that it will ever be any different then it is now, and in fact, could be worse....................introduces a very new kind of vulnerability.

This quote seems to address this for me: "If we find ourselves in what seems like a rotten or painful situation, we can remember that the path is the goal, that what seems undesirable in our lives doesn't have to put us to sleep. What seems undesirable doesn't have to trigger habitual reactions. We can let it show us where we're at and let it remind us that the teachings encourage precision and gentleness, with loving kindness toward every moment. When we live this way, we feel frequently--maybe continuously--at a crossroads, never knowing what's ahead. It's an insecure way to live. Basically, the instruction is not to try to solve the problem but instead to use it as a question about how to let this very situation wake us up further then lull us into ignorance. We can use a difficult situation to encourage ourselves to take a leap, to step out into that ambiguity."

She goes on to say, "This teaching applies to even the most horrendous situations life can dish out. Jean-Paul Sartre said that there are two ways to go to the gas chamber, free or not free. This is our choice in every moment. Do we relate to our circumstances with bitterness or with openness?"

For me, in this world of gfgness, the only sane life that I can envision is to abide by these teachings. I am more aware now then ever before of my complete lack of control over life, over anyone, over almost everything. I can certainly rail against that and suffer, or I can accept it and do my best to implement some level of grace. This is not what I want, but it is what it is.

My next go round, like you with your daughter at the shelter, will be when my daughter comes out of jail with NOTHING but the shoes on her feet, the clothes on her back and 3 cats waiting to be picked up.

I do not want THIS moment to be about THAT. That moment will take place in about 5 1/2 weeks. Until then, I will be 'practicing' staying right here in THIS moment. The sun is shining, it will be in the 70's today, the hills are green and lush, the vineyards are filled with beautiful yellow mustard flowers..........it is all good.

Scent of Cedar *

Jean-Paul Sartre said that there are two ways to go to the gas
chamber, free or not free.

The question then becomes...what is "free"? It is quite a task to unlock the very prisons, to deconstruct the very constructs we have created to envision our realities. It's like going in blind. Everything within is so familiar we no longer see or smell or taste it. We can only feel what is familiar and choose something different, something scary, instead.

I found this posting beautiful, Recovering.

Thank you.

Cedar