Sad news from Vet.

SaraT

We took our oldest four legged family member to the vet yesterday because of a lump on his ankle. Unfortunately it was what we feared, cancer. It is bone cancer called osteosarcoma(sp). They won't take the leg as that will cause cancer growth in other parts of the body and kill him faster. All we can do is keep him comfortable with pain medications and wait until he is too sick to continue. Then we will have to put him down. He is 9 yrs old Rottweiler and has had a good life, but it is still hard to think of the day we will have to say goodbye.:crying:

Star*

call 911........call 911
I am so sorry for your furperson and your hurting heart. they have so much of our hearts!

Hugs

witzend

Oh, I'm so sorry. Bubba had a lump on his rear leg that we had removed last month. Luckily, it was a fatty tumor, but it was growing where it would have cut off the circulation to his foot, so it had to go.

Nine years is awfully young for a fuzzbutt to go. I know that you will miss him. I hope that you can keep him comfortable for the rest of his days with you.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Aw, Sara. I'm sorry to hear of this. The furbabies become such an important part of the family, and it is so hard to lose them, or, I'm sure, to face the impending loss.

Enjoy the time you have. Who knows, maybe you'll be blessed with a slow growth and have quite a while yet with Rottie.

Many hugs.

K

Kjs

I am sorry to hear this news. I never had a pet before Chloe. I know I will face the same challenges some day, I cannot imagine how this must feel.

Fran

Former desparate mom
SaraT, I know how bad you feel.
My sweet Honey Sue was leaping out of the pickup last monday. Woke up Tuesday with a lump and a limp. 9AM in the vets office to the oncologist at 10:30. She also has osteosarcoma. She is only 3 yrs old. I haven't stopped crying.
The amputation and chemo gives her a 50/50 chance of making it 12 months. No cure.
I looked into bone marrow transplant but it's just not being done on dogs and there doesn't seem to be any other options.
So I'm going to medicate the heck out of her, spoil her rotten, take her for a home visit to my mom's over easter and see how she is feeling.
It's evidently very painful without amputation.
We will try some radiation for pain relief if we need it.
Her brother Cowboy hasn't been separated from her. :sad:
:not_fair:she has only been out of foster care for 8 months.

I'm glad your pup had 8 yrs but I know you are going to feel just as awful when that day comes.
Sending hugs to you too.

'Chelle

I'm so sorry for your baby, pets become family members and it's hard when they're sick and we lose them. I've lost two dogs, and each was hard and still miss them.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
My heart is broken for Sara and Fran. Our fuzzbutts just aren't with us long enough. It's devastating. :9-07tears:

Hugs to you both,
Suz

mstang67chic

Going Green
{{{{Hugs}}}} We just found out our oldest dog has arthritis in his hips and spine and it's fairly bad. I'm facing the same thing here and I understand. The only consolation I have is that when that time comes, there won't be any more pain for the fuzzbutt. Doesn't really help US but at least they aren't in pain.

TerryJ2

Oh, I am so sorry!
My friend, Dawn, had a beautiful rottweiler with-the same thing. It's typical of rottweilers. You will know when it is time.
{{hugs}}