Salad Spinner--greatest invention ever?

AppleCori

i love my salad spinner!

I love salads of all kinds and make one more days than not.

The spinnner is such a time saver!

What unusual item do you have that you love and use, that maybe the rest of us have overlooked!?

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My Pampered Chef chopper!

My family always made fun of me because I never chopped the onions small enough and said they would "cook down". LOL

Now they are finely chopped along with celery etc. with little effort.

AppleCori

I love my chopper, too!

I am going to need a new one soon, as the old one has a crack.

I've never heard of a can strainer, mof...sounds interesting!

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Funny, I turned in my chopper for my mini food processor.

How did I forget, my silicone pot topper that keeps things from boiling over.... Love it!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The REALLY good (and $$$) set of chef's knives husband bought me and taught me how to use and care for. I can chop onions and other veggies just a finely as needed.

My kitchen device that I can't live without? A high-end pressure cooker. My Kuhn-Rikon died after a year and is on its way back to Amazon. I ordered a Fissler VitaVit to replace it. The Fissler is what I wanted originally, but at that time, Amazon didn't have the small model I wanted at the time I first decided to order.

KTMom91

My Crock Pot. My mother in law got it for me soon after Hubby and I were married. The crock is removable for easy washing.

I collect antique kitchen utensils, ranging from the 1920's to the 1950's, and I have a definite weakness for butter spreaders, pie servers, and obscure little sterling silver pieces that no one's ever heard of. I recently bought a sugar spoon with delicate etching to allow you to gently sprinkle sugar on your dessert. I also have a cute little set of sugar tongs.

susiestar

Roll With It
I never used my salad spinner for anything other than keeping my toddlers occupied while I cooked.

I absolutely love the food processor. For many years I used it for everything and didn't even own a mixer. I did all those tasks in the food processor.

For small gadgets, I love the elevate style cooking spoons etc first made by Joseph Joseph. I got some knockoffs in a store near me and they are amazing.

I also could not live without a couple of really good knives and both wood and plastic chopping boards.

I like old cooking gadgets also. But my love is used cookbooks with comments and stains on recipes people have tried. I have gotten some incredible recipes this way - it often points me to the best ones in a book!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My husband and I used to collect old and very old cookbooks (I collected very old medical and veterinary texts as well). We lost a lot of them in the Chicago flood of '95, and I sold the rest of them before moving to WI in '04.

I will only use wood boards for fruits and veggies. Synthetics only for animal products as you can properly sterilize them. Pity, as wood is easier on knife blades.

donna723

Not a "kitchen thing" but personally I think that the person who first thought of putting wheels on suitcases should have won the Nobel prize!

Lil

I use the salad spinner all the time and my chopper. But one of my favorite, yet little used items, is my apple peeler, corer, slicer. It's awesome.

ctmom05

i love my salad spinner!

I love salads of all kinds and make one more days than not.

The spinnner is such a time saver!

What unusual item do you have that you love and use, that maybe the rest of us have overlooked!?

one item that I love is the bread machine that I use on the dough cycle only. I know some folks try bread machines & don't care for the shape of texture - I use mine too make the harder part easier

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
What I know from my husband who was a chef, convection ovens cook much faster than standard ovens while still producing classically roasted, baked, or in some cases, broiled food. They also brown food much more evenly.

The downside to them is that the blower distributes grease pretty evenly, too, which means you want an oven without a lot of nooks and crannies for grease to hide in.

We had one in the house, but it was husband's baby. I very rarely used the oven as a convection oven.

nlj

My waffle maker! I love it!

( I think you call them waffle irons over there. Why are they waffle irons? What name do you use for an iron then? Maybe you press clothes rather than iron them over there. Do you iron waffles? I'm confusing myself now ...)

AppleCori

Some of us call them waffle irons, and others call them waffle makers. I have used both terms.

I think it started out as waffle iron because the old ones were made of metal. I still have my grandfather's heavy metal one, and it works great! Indestructable!