Address
City, State
Phone

Date

Principal
School
Address
City, State

Reference: _______________ (youth’s name) (DOB: 00/00/00)

Dear Principal: ____________________
I am the parent of ___________________, (youth’s name) whose date of birth is ___________________ and who is a student in the ____________ (name of school) grade at school. ___________________ (youth’s name) was recently diagnosed with _______________________________ (list diagnosis).

Since ___________________ (youth’s name) entered school, teachers have been raising concerns about (his) (her) academic performance and behavior. My child is not doing well in school and may need special education services.

I am therefore requesting and consenting to a multidisciplinary team evaluation to determine if ___________________ (youth’s name) is eligible for special education and/or related services under both the IDEA and Section 504, in accordance with the IDEA regulations 34 CFR 300.7, plus the public education regulations of this state.

I look forward to hearing from you and to working with you and your staff to ensure a successful educational experience for ___________________(youth’s name).

Sincerely,

Name
Address
Phone

DELETE the below statement and ALL helps in parenthesis prior to printing!
(I suggest sending this to the Principal and/or Special Education Executive Director certified mail return receipt requested)

Sheila

Thanks Star.

There are other sample letters in the archives.

Couple of comments. I never recommend that a parent request eligibility under Section 504. I always recommend evaluation under IDEA for couple of reasons.

#1 - 504's are pretty worthless for kids who actually need an IEP.
#2 - There is no real parent input or participation required under 504.
#3 - Evaluations under 504's are very often lacking.
#4 - If you go in say, with a diagnosis of ADHD, the sd will often jump at it and create a 504 with-the standard redirection accommodations, yadda, yadda. In essence, the child misses the benefit of a multidisciplinary evaluation.
#5 - I've seen thousands of parents come through these forums over the years. I don't recall ever seein it happen that the first private or sd evaluation picked up on all the child's problems. Base lines come in handy.

My recommendation is to request evaluation under IDEA regs. If for some reason the child doesn't qualify for an IEP, THEN fall back on the 504.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
I did search for any sample letter first, and am Sure you have done plenty but was just thinking of some new people I have referred here which may not know about the archives.:whiteflag: