Sandy devastation~ Please check in! And circle of support, too.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Glad to hear that so many fared so well, considering...We are still without power, however we do have a generator, thank god. Just ran out to fill up the fuel tank in case it's another day/night before power is restored. Our neighborhood got destroyed with downed trees, wires and roads blocked. Looks like some companies have been around cleaning up. Has anyone heard from ctmom, Chris? I usually see her on FB but I haven't today. Thanks for all the well wishes...I can't even believe we were hit this hard!

DammitJanet

Havent heard Jo. How close are you to the coast anyway? Im waiting to hear from bunny (I think) over on General who lives on LI. That place got hit hard it appears.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Janet, I'm about 50 miles north of the shore and about 25 or so from Chris.

We have family on LI but they're inland and they're all okay. My niece lives in Brooklyn and can't get home yet-she's with family on the island.

DammitJanet

Thats good. I guess I think of LI as being a fairly thin strip when we look at it on the maps they show. Well the whole Northeast is fairly small compared to down here...lol.

I used to drive up to the Boston area with my dad and it was so nice once we got to the GW Bridge because the trip was almost over!

Hi Everyone! Janet I am fine! Thanks for worrying about me! I am about 20 miles do west of Atlantic City! The winds were bad and the rain was heavy at times but I never lost power! Have been home alone for the last 4 days but all is ok here. Lost some tree limbs. There are big trees down on the major highways all around me and many people in other parts of the town still have no power. I guess I was just lucky this time. Have some friends from down around Ocean City NJ that I have not heard from but praying for good news. My prayers to everyone affected!

busywend

Thanks for checking in on everyone, TM. We had wind and rain, but me and family are good. Been moving difficult child all day....so kinda out of touch.

Bigdmom of 3- I LIVE 20 miles west of AC!!! You must live very close to me. We just got all our power back on. We had the generator so our fridge and freezer were fine. Other than lots of wind, no damage. Did you see the shark swimming in the Brigantine neighborhood? easy child showed me, it was all over facebook. We do not have school again tomorrow. Do you? I am so glad to hear so many of our members are safe.

klmno

thank you fior asking about everyone- we are fine and I worry about those north of us who got it worse. HUGS to all those who have lost power and communications and girlfriend are without food, water, heat, and help!

ctmom05

Power has been restored - we didn't fare too badly. Thanks for thinking of me & now it's time to pray for others who's lives and possesions have been devastated

jal

Close to shoreline in southern Middlesex county CT. Just got power back. Lost it @ 5 last night and got it @9:30 pm today. Generator died this am, but we fared well. Haven't had much exposure to news. Irene was 7 days with-o power here, so thankful:)

Marguerite

Hugs to everyone from Sydney. We've experienced hurricane strength winds here in our part of Sydney, we have had whopper storm surges (had a 2 metre storm surge just a few months ago). We've had fires. Getting the lot all at the same time is a bit rough.

For those with power out or those who have had to evacuate, we might not hear from them for some days. In the meantime, Sandy continues to cause problems. Although the storm is easing in strength, please people in the path, do not be complacent. Stay safe.

We have a battery-powered backup for the computer (the UPS) which we can use to give us time to shut down more carefully in the event of sudden power failure. That has come in handy a few times when we have lost power, lost phones and all other communication. With the UPS keeping our internet hub powered and my laptop running on battery, I was still able to email and Skype to call for help!

Stay safe. Glad to hear that so far, our people are okay.

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Still no power this morning-I was really hoping it would be restored but we learned through the local news source that crews are only beginning to work in our area today....fingers crossed we will have it back later today!!!

Prayers go out to those who have lost and suffered so much. It's difficult to read the news and watch video footage of the devastation along the costs of NJ NY MD DE VA CT. Horrible things happened in NYC and 50 homes were lost to a brutal fire in queens.

DammitJanet

Does anyone know her well enough to call her? Just wondering. I know parts of LI are really close to water and some arent. Im hoping she is just without power, though without power and two kids stuck inside this long is gonna be hard.

bby31288

I'm in Keansburg. It is devestation. Our amusement park was washed away. There were bumper cars miles from where they should be video arcade games are all over the place. Water came quickly. My 3 cars are totaled from flood water. And we have no power since Monday. But thank you god everyone is safe.

DammitJanet

bby...looking at your location, I dont think you are picking good places to live...or....storms are following you!!!!! Maybe try a place not quite as close to water...lol.

Just kidding. I glad you guys are all safe and nothing happened to you physically but so sorry about your cars. Hope they are all insured. I sure hope the agencies get to you fast. Dont forget to get to social services and get your emergency food stamps as soon as possible.

bby31288

Goodness Janet you are correct! I better head where there is no water or chances of blizzards. I am thankful my house is up higher so we only got water in thru the garage. The scary part was how quickly the water rose!!

DammitJanet

Id tell you to come live near me but Im afraid Id be tempting fate...lol. We havent had a hurricane come through here in over a decade and we have fairly mild winters.