Sandy, the "super" storm...........

Nancy

Janet there is a crane that collapsed on top of an apartment building in NYC and it's dangling down the side of the building.

Jody

I just checked on Jo and she is safe and sound at home. Yeah, I am glad to hear that. Hopefully we will hear from her, but just wanted you to know she's okay.

Calamity Jane

Janet, the crane thing is whacked out. It's a 90 story luxury residential bldg. under construction. It's only 78 stories right now. It will be the tallest residential bldg. in Manhattan (15 stories higher than Trump), and I believe the penthouse will go for $70 million when completed! The crane boom is dangling over the Parker Meridien hotel and Carnegie Hall, as well as some other smaller bldgs. Fire Dept. evacuated and cordoned off all bldgs. in the perimeter. Don't think they can secure this crane in the middle of the storm. If the boom of this crane falls straight down, even with the safety perimeter, it'll do an enormous amt. of damage.
Also, there's a crazy jet skier guy riding around in NY Harbor in the storm, and he rode right up to the news reporter who was doing a feed along the Hudson in Manhattan, and she yelled at him, that, "hey, there's a hurricane coming, haven't you heard?" He just kept doing flips and turns and the reporter told him he should take cover, and not force NY Harbor Patrol to come out and save his :censored2:! Of course, he ignored her.

buddy

Though she's out of power now....gotta get the generator going she says .....

You will all be in my thoughts and prayers....weird that in MN this is keeping things milder.

Hope you all get power back quickly if you lose it.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
All, one of our members who took a hiatus and hasn't posted in a long while - Jena - mentioned on facebook that her parents lost their house. She lives in NY, I'm guessing they do too. Trying to find out if they are OK. Jena is fine for now.

Nancy

I'm so sorry to hear about Jena's parents' home. How awful.

Our school are all closed tomorrow. The wind and rain has been awful. Trees are down everywhere and power is out for many.

T

TeDo

I keep watching for updates on our news stations. It's not looking good and I am sending out prayers that everyone in my new family (CD members) are safe and sound and remain that way.

DammitJanet

I heard about the idiots in the Hudson. Tony and I were watching the crane on the news and boy someone is gonna be in some huge trouble over that one! That crane wasnt secured correctly. Looking at it from the viewpoint on the news it looked like one that climbed up the building and they should have pulled it down. Pain in the butt but still. The crane operators on the new trade tower secured theirs correctly...they cut it loose completely and let it ride. It just swings like a weather crane. Thats the way they have to do them down here all the time for strong storms. However, I am betting the poor schmuck who works in the crane will end up being the one who gets fired over this. After all we know what runs down hill!

lmf64

yes, both Jena and her parents live on Long Island.
I am waiting to hear from my niece and nephew from just south of Atlantic City. They didn't evacuate and niece hasn't been online all day. I tried calling and got voicemail. Please all pray.

DammitJanet

Hey you guys from OH let us know how you guys are doing now. Also anyone from anywhere around the Great Lakes areas. It looks like it could just about get into MN up around the Great Lakes. Just want to make sure you guys are okay. TM, are you okay?

DammitJanet

I wonder if they wont call you later to pick up. Has it gotten bad there yet? I think it may end up it just hasnt gone through there yet. But you are on Lake Erie right? Sigh. One would think they would just be proactive. Dont know.

TerryJ2

That guy on the jet ski should be left to his own devices. If I were in charge of emergency services, I would let him ski his way into jet ski heaven. And if he survives, he should be given an enormous ticket. Just saying ...
Emergency personnel need to be caring for people accidentally injured or stranded.