Sara can I pick your brain?

DammitJanet

What do you know about 5HT2 antagonists? Would one think that if one reacted badly to one they would react badly to another?

Just wondering.

Sara PA

I really know very little. I do know the research is early and ongoing. It is suspected that they may be the problem with with antidepressants (and other drugs) for some people, strongly suspected by some, though the actual mechanism isn't known. If it's true, then someone would likely repsond poorly to all 5HT2 antagonists if one responded badly to one. Of course, some drugs are stronger antangoists than others; that would be a factor in how well or poorly someone responded to different 5HT2 antagonists.

DammitJanet

Im beginning to think I am going to have to get a pharmacology degree...lol. I am not responding in the logical way to trazadone ie, its not putting me to sleep. My psychiatrists solution is to keep increasing the dose. My fear is that it is going to induce mania or that it is already inducing hypomania which is why I am not sleeping.

Now I read that both trazadone and serzone are 5HT2 antagonists. I had my first major manic antidepressant induced attack on serzone. I am now concerned that I am reacting to trazadone in such the same way but the mood stabilizers are keeping it somewhat under control but it isnt allowing me to sleep.

Im having a difficult time convincing doctors of this theory however.

Sara PA

I'm convinced. I'm surprised they are that hard to convince. Your idea is pretty much the thinking of a lot of researchers, that's why they're looking into it.