Sauce for blackened swordfish??

klmno

OK, gourmet chefs I have a question for you! I used to go to a restaurant near Seattle (Anthony's ????) that made a blackened swordfish served with some sort of sauce on the side for dipping that just made the dish. It tasted like it had horseradish in it but also had either a sundried tomato flavor or like it had a little Japanese shrimp sauce mixed in. It had flavor, looked like a thick, pink mayo, but also had a little bite to it. Does anyone have a clue what this would be called so I can google for a recipe?

LittleDudesMom

k, swordfish is one of my favs along with salmon and fresh tuna steaks!!! I'm not a sauce person with my fish (other than lemon because I love the flavor of the fish itself) but here are a few links to head you in the right direction. The second link is for swordfish baked in the sauce and it looks totally overly sauced, but it might be a good base to start a dipping sauce.

klmno

thank you! I have seen that yogurt recipe with swordfish before but don't know that I have the nerve to try it. It mmust be popular though because it came up a lot when I googled last night. I also got a real old thread where I had asked a similar question on the CD board before. LOL! I had forgotten but someone said they thought I was referring to romoulade sauce so I'm going to try that. I'm going to buy some prepared so I can see if that's it then if it is, I might try making it myself next time.

I like the salmon and tuna, too- I stick them on the grill. I'm not sure if swordfish will make it on the grill though- has anyone tried it?

LittleDudesMom

Could definitely be a remoulade sauce - there are a number of variations. You can lighten it by using fat free or light mayo. It's best when you make it ahead and put it in the fridge so the ingredients can meld together. I love fish on the grill and I have a vegetable/fish grilling sheet (teflon with small holes) that I use when grilling fish. I also use it when grilling veggies because it's easier to turn them and get even grilling rather than using skewers. If you love to grill, you should pick one up. One of my favs is taking a lot of minced garlic, minced ginger and a little olive oil and putting it in a plastic baggie with some salmon filets to marinate in the fridge (usually at least 2 hours) and then grill - yummy!

You can certainly grill swordfish without the pan, but make sure you oil your grill well. I also spray cooking oil (olive) on both sides of my swordfish. Be really careful to not overcook - there's a really fine line - probably 4 minutes per side at the most if you grill on medium. Here's the remoulade I like...

• 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup mustard (Creole mustard if possible)
  • 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
  • 1-2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon pickle juice (dill or sweet, your preference)
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (preferably Tabasco)
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced and smashed

DDD

We buy it prepared and keep it in the refrigerator for crab cakes as well as grilled fish. Fingers crossed that's the taste you've been dreaming about. DDD

Here is a good dressing I saw on the food network. It's a dressing for salad but I put seafood in my salad and it's so good I have to share it. I know it's not exactly what you want but you will love this. Ok, did you ever see Chopped? These firemen were on, you know they were each given a "basket" of a few ingredients and had to make an appetizer, entree or dessert. So this one fireman was famous for his salad. It was a dressing of oil, vinegar and the famous ingredient of orange marmelade added. OMG! I don't even use the oil, just vinegar and the orange marmalade. I put it on my salad with salmon, and some scallions and radishes- it was so good, better than any dressing I ever bought. I love seafood cold the nexrt day on a salad, just thought I'd share.

klmno

You ladies are the best! It was the remoulade sauce and now that I know, I can make it at home aned tweak it as I wish. So a HUGE thank you to whomever contributed!

I also gathered few other ideas- thank you!

LittleDudesMom

It was a dressing of oil, vinegar and the famous ingredient of orange marmelade added. OMG! I don't even use the oil, just vinegar and the orange marmalade. I put it on my salad with salmon, and some scallions and radishes- it was so good, better than any dressing I ever bought. I love seafood cold the nexrt day on a salad, just thought I'd share.

That sounds really good. I usually use my leftover protein from the night before (fish, chicken, filet) on a salad for lunch the next day -- I'm going to try this sans the oil too -- what kind of vinegar do you use? I always buy the smuckers no sugar added marmalade or the polianer no sugar fiber marmalade - bet this would be good with sugar free strawberry jam as well!

Sharon