Scared and Working with docs right this minute...

T

TeDo

Remember to breathe. Things will work out the way they are supposed to. I know it's hard to have faith when things are going so haywire but they WILL work out. Still praying......

buddy

On call doctor said nurses dont want him afraid he is too agitated so want a psychiatric hospital...where I started in the first place ....if he can't go where he was I'm taking him home.

buddy

Our neuro called me and disagrees but is not on call. She told me what to bump seizure medications to. Waiting for ****ing. SW. To do call to other hospital ....I can hear them talking psychiatric hospital says its seizure problem neuro hospital says its psychiatric. Our psychiatric and neuro both say its neuro. I said I want to leave. On call people are not listening ...

T

TeDo

I can so relate to that whole scenario and it is VERY frustrating. Since when do on-call docs trump primary care physicians and since when do the nurses make the decisions. Sounds like you need an on-call with some backbone! GGGGGRRRRRRRRRR

Still sending hugs and prayers. How is Q handling all this?

buddy

So psychiatric hospital took him but was afraid ins wouldn't cover if not behavior.
Sigh. Our docs partner said she would spin it and they took him. They had to call me because no one at the county hospital would answer. I walked up to dev delayed resident and made her use my phone to get us out. 11 at night. We left at 430!

L

Liahona

One thing reading of your experiences has taught me; hospitals do not staff the best people for weekends.

I hope they can help Q.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Just spotted this buddy.

Saying heavy duty prayers for you both.

Sounds like you've hopped onto the rollercoaster ride that brought me to the board to begin with.......I'm so sorry.

I'm wondering if his odd behavior post seizure wasn't yet another seizure. Sounds somewhat similar to some of the atypical ones Travis had. (talking the odd behavior toward the other kids outside)

I know there is aggression involved, but I'm thinking you're dealing with a neuro issue here, not psychiatric. But at least he's where he can be watched.

((((hugs)))))

buddy

So, we got to the psychiatric hospital and they confessed that his doctor was writing it to look like behavior (like last time when the seizure medication didn't work and he flipped out) but that they felt that really he needed to be in the neuro hospital. They were very frustrated but couldn't force the on call doctor at the other hospital to change his mind. They are just going to work with him there and emphasize that after the seizures he is having unsafe behavior. It is true but I have to wonder how they are going to monitor the seizures, he was supposed to be on leads in an eeg monitoring unit....

Hound, I agree, I think he was SOOO nutso for a while, he was having more going on....it looked a little like what happened last time after the partial complex one that was obvious that is.

Hard to get this hospital to really see/believe the seizures I saw last time, but now that 4 other people are the ones who saw it including school nurse, EA, teacher and neighbor who talked directly to the doctor to describe what she saw, maybe they will get it.

So upon discharge they wrote orders from the doctor who wouldn't take us saying to go up to 100 in the am and pm on his seizure medication.... UMMM he was already at 150 am and pm. So, maybe better we did not meet him anyway. I called my doctor's cell phone and she was NOT happy. She said if I had his medications to just give him 200 NOW. So i did. When I got to the psychiatric hospital. I told them I already gave him all his medications, including the increased seizure medication.

I wanted to smack the county people. Honestly that was not even a crisis kind of situaiton, it was scary yes, but not like last time and we SAT there, tehy didn't answer phones, psychiatric hospital lady said she was on HOLD for 35 minutes then they finally said, just call mom...so they called me and I handed them MY cell phone and that was when we got discharged. My sister is a nurse, she was beside herself. couldn't believe it.

about 30 minutes after pm medications, he was back to my Q again. calm voice, (for him) asking for things with please and thankyou, not threatening me not saying the n word or b word, asking if he can possibly earn watching tv again when we get home, etc. It is really hard when people dont see the dramatic change once the neuro incidents stop. For years I have said this to people, even with the simple seizures. He really deserves a break.

Once he knew where he was going he was so happy. He just hates not knowing what was up and the way these folks were talking they were going to put him on suicide watch or something in some adult psychiatric ward because the neuro on call said it sounded psychiatric to him. I hope our doctors give him he 1 1.

So, does this mean every time my son has a medical need from now on, since he has behavioral issues on record, that he will not be able to be admitted??? REALLY? psychiatric hospital said they just fought this for a 16 yr old, she wouldn't eat so they said it was psychiatric hospital material, but she would't eat ANYTHING and needed IV's and they dont do that, so it was a huge fight. Where is the common sense?

Well, they had one bed open on the unit on the teen side, tomorrow a girl will be discharged from the younger kid side then they will move him there. good thing he is the age he is, but the developmental level he is so it doesn't matter which side he goes to. He will be with them thru monday at least so I guess it's back to the money worry and gas drain. he is very happy. AND He gave me a hug goodbye! (not nearly as awful as last time when he was ready to KILL me)

Malika

Buddy, I don't really understand the intricacies of medications but I hope the right doses are found and that Q can become stable again. Is it a question of just the medications? That's one load of your mind that he seems happy to stay in the hospital for the weekend. Hugs.

L

Liahona

Can they transfer him to the other hospital when the idiot doctor isn't over him anymore?

:consoling::hangin:

Steely

I have no idea about where you live or what is available in your city - but Matt and I lived in Dallas his whole life. In Dallas the Childrens hospital connected to the psychiatric unit. So on that unit you had kids that had to have IVs because they weren't eating, and you had kids that had EEGs, or went to have MRI's. ETC. It was all integrated.

Is there a different hospital that Q could be going to that would offer this for you?

buddy

He is in the good hospital he had been in but the problem is they wanted him in a seizure unit like he has been in the past. If our doctor had been on call it would have gone fine but since this guy was there, he seemed to not get the messages right. I think the problem is that to be admitted same day, you need to go thru ER and they use the county trauma hospital which is right across the street. We got a jerk of a resident who just couldn't get it thru her head that this was not a new problem and just because he takes lithium doesn't mean he doesn't have medical needs. She asked for his history right? then to describe the seizure issues of recent days. It was like she wasn't listening the whole time. After i was done she said, "well kids don t collapse for no reason" That is still ringing in my ears. I released all the heart and lab workups from a day before to show it was a seizure not a heart attack, sigh.

So I asked the doctor who is oncall for the weekend for Q (partner of his outpatient doctor) about where kids go who need medical monitoring. She said MN does not have that. U of M has a close by unit so they try to coordinate it. (but I avoid them due to early childhood experiences there and also his docs can be directly involved at this hospital) But she says it is one of their biggest frustrations. At least she was willing to help me vent. I mean I wouldn't have mind going here in the first place....I called them as was our plan and they were doing the needs assessment update since it was under 30 days. I only changed plans and went to this waste of time ER because both the psychiatrist and neurologist felt that he needed his seizure medications ramped up and needed the eeg monitoring. He has been in there in the past, as well as other hospitals and did fine. In a small room, by himself, with people waiting on him hand and foot, he does beautifully. the perfect difficult child life, right?) He doesn't have the "groups" and school programs that the psychiatric hospital has along with needing to socialize beyond his abiities, causing him to behave inappropriately. He might have issues after a seizure, but ummmm that is what we need to capture and see how the medications change.

She also said that at 16 in mn kids can refuse to sign in for psychiatric services. any of you have to deal with that. I heard someone here say that about rehab so I suspect so. It just made me realize i probably have things to do before the legal guardianship stuff. I think it would be funny to have him print part of his first name on a form to sign for receiving or not receiving services. He would have no clue. What do I need to do for that time, It is only a little over a year away. I think he would never realize he could refuse and we could just say sign here, but you never know. What would what I have to do for just that piece until 18 be called. Or would htey just have to do a hold and I get him in at that point if it was ever a concern?

Just seems so crazy that a 16 yr old could refuse treatment for any medical issue even if it falls under mental health. Yikes.

DammitJanet

That is an issue Buddy. I know that in different states the ages that kids can have the rights to decide their mental health care is different. Thankfully my son never quite figured that one out. He actually thought I had more rights over him than I did after he turned 18. Until some idiot friends of his opened his eyes, he thought as long as he lived with me I was in charge of him. Damn those friends!

Cory never would go against what I told him he needed to do medically. He just assumed I knew what I was talking about. He sure didnt...lol. Even now, he comes to me and wants me to fix it and I cant but try to point him in the right direction. Both he and his father seem to think I have magic powers. Cory is growing, his father never will.