Scared to death last night

Abbey

Spork Queen
Off the bat, I'm a HUGE chicken.

H is off doing an event in another city. I'm home alone and dead asleep. At 1am my doorbell rings. 1am??? I try looking through this ancient peep hole and can't see a thing. Dash upstairs and barely look through my window. Who is ringing my bell at 1am? I don't see a car out there.

I baracade myself in my closet with a comforter over me and with my cell and start dialing. H...no. Inlaws...no. Neighbors...no. I have no idea who it was. I sat in that closet for a good hour. I did grab my sword on the way upstairs. I'm calling my friends in Vegas..."OMG, someone just rung my doorbell and it's 1am. I've got my sword and am hiding in my closet with a blanket over me." Like they were ever going to be of any help.

It was probably some neighborhood kid doing the ring and run thing. Who knows, but it freaked me out. I usually leave my door unlocked (WI thing), but last night I actually locked it.

If I find that kid, he's going to get the spork big time.

Abbey

TerryJ2

Aw, I'm so sorry, Abbey. 1 a.m. Arrgh!

We had that happen last wk at 10 p.m. On top of it, the doorbell stuck and I had to open the door and dig out the button with-my fingernail. The weird thing was, if it was a Bad Guy, why did he leave my difficult child's bike right there, untouched? difficult child had thrown it in front of the garage (does he WANT it to be run over?) It would have been an easy steal.

We never figured out if it was ding-dong-ditch, or a lost pizza delivery guy. We are on a dead end street and it used to happen all the time.

Take a big breath. And keep that spork handy.

DDD

We only started "locking up" when easy child/difficult child morphed from a easy child. Then, it dawned on us. If "our kid" can make bad choices then the "other kids" can make them too. Now we not only lock up but we have outside lights that are motion activated. Modern life. Glad you are aok. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I only lock up when I go to bed. Small town, low crime rate. Hard to get away with much when everyone knows everyone else.

But I did have a cop knock on my door at that time of night. I freaked because I couldn't figure out why on earth he was 1. knocking on MY door when 2. I was quietly reading, husband was alseep and so were the kids.

Turned out he wasn't paying attention and had come to the wrong door. ugh

Abbey it could've been someone drunk/stoned and ringing the wrong door, maybe a kid playing a prank. But odds are if it's a bad guy, he's not gonna stop and ring the bell before coming in. Sorry you got the carp scared out of you. You need a big dog.

Hugs

muttmeister

Chances are it was somthing innocent; usually the bad guy breaks in instead of ringing your doorbell. However, even though I live in a rural area and the chance of having any trouble is scant, since I live alone I do have a gun in the house and I know how to use it.
I laughed really hard when I was reading the Stephanie Plum book where a bad guy tried to break into her apartment and all of the little old ladies came out in the hall with their guns to scare him away. I guess I"ve become one of them. LIving where I do, the response would probably be the same. Any bad guy who showed up on our street would run the chance of being blasted from every house on the block. That is part of the rural culture I guess.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I can't do a gun. I'd end up shooting myself. But, a nice dull sword does wonders.:tongue:

You're right...a burglar probably woudn't ring the doorbell. Hello? Can I rob you? No, not a good night. Go away, and then fling out my sword or spork.

I was just afraid. I called my one Vegas friend, Skippy. Skippy...I'm in my closet with a comforter over my head and my sword. I'M SCARED!! He's cracking up. His response? Do you have your spork me shirt on? Umm...yeah. Change clothes. Thanks, Skip.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey I meant to ask before.........where in the world did you get a sword? And why is it dull? At least sharpen the darn thing. lol Of course, even dull I doubt I'd wanna get whopped upside the head with one. OUCH!

Yup. You need a BIG DOG. Then you can sit in your closet with your sword while your BIG DOG barks and snarls and scares the bad guys away. :D

Abbey

Spork Queen
I was actually advised to get a dull one. They do more damage. Go figure. For the last year and a half I lived in somewhat sketchy places. People coming and going...didn't really knew who they were. I knew I couldn't do a gun...so a sword seemed fitting.

And, yes, I would LOVE a big dog.

Abbey

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yikes! I am not the scaredy kittah type.
But I am becoming one more and more.
When I lived up in the back woods I never locked my doors. The Moose were about the worst that were gonna come in the house.

But here, even though we live a bit out of the way, we have choppers flying over head a lot looking for illegals.
We also have a lot of drug dealers looking for places to run to.
The gang activities are on the rise as well.
With the border so close it is just bound to happen up here.
With husband gone he yells at me to lock the doors.
I say, "Really, is it gonna help?"

But the other night, (This house has alarms on the windows and doors!?) the alarms started going off at 3 a.m!

So I get up and start looking for the murderer! With a Driver in hand. Knock their block off! Or mine!

I see Annie our cat on the door knob pushing it down trying to get out!
I assume it was her! Smart Kittah!
So I let her out, to be eaten by the Song Dogs.(Coyotes)

It wasn't her, the power had gone out!

But it actually scared me pretty bad!!! I was awake for awhile.

TerryJ2

You're right...a burglar probably woudn't ring the doorbell. Hello? Can I rob you?

ROFL!

Shades of Monte Python: "Are you a burglar?"
"Yes, mum, I'm a burglar."
"Are you sure you're not selling encyclopedias?"
"Yes, mum, not at all. I'm a burglar."
"Oh, all right. Come in then."

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
LOL,Monty Python and Death... Honey, it's Mr. Death or something, he's come about the reaping...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBTsMJ4jNk"]YouTube - Monty Python-The Meaning of Life-Death[/ame]

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
husband has a number of dull edged weapons around the house. I'll never forget difficult child 2, aged 9 or so, showing a guest around the house "would you like to see the sword they used in Indonesia to cut the heads off of people?".

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Actually you may not need the big dog, just record a big dog barking and snarling and the next time the doorbell rings play the recording and say just a minute, Killer hasn't eaten yet and this is the third chain he has broken this week........

Lothlorien

Did you think to call the cops? Someone did that to us at 11:00 and husband was home. We opened the door and heard rustling across the street. We figured it might have been a prank, but calling the cops and having them patrol the street a few times that night certainly prevented them from doing it again.

If it happens again....call the police.

Abbey

Spork Queen
3Shadows...it's 4am and I'm cracking up at that video. You've got to love Monty Python.

Loth, I did consider calling the police but just kept thinking who in the heck would just ring the doorbell?

Skippy called today. So...I guess you're still alive. Well, dork, I answered my phone so I guess so.

Abbey

K

Kjs

You are right about the WI thing!

When we first moved here we had an apartment. husband was laying on the floor watching tv late at night, I was in bed. Some guy walked in and scared the carp out of husband. Scared each other. the man apologized over and over - wrong building!

Glad I wasn't home alone.

Could someone have been at the wrong house?

Star*

call 911........call 911
After living with Satan - I took a self defense class......then I moved in and share a home with a light sleeping biker, who sleeps on the couch with a street-sweeper under the cushion and a pistol under his pillow.

DF took me to the shooting range,, blindfolded me and taught me how to tear apart, reassemble, load and fire accurately in the dark (your house doesn't have a light on when the robber is coming down the hall) after he found out I planted, holly, cactus and bought new windows for the house thinking I would stave off a robber or my x.

I got an alarm system from the police dept. We have a pit bull. I bought a small puppy who grew to be 140 lbs and only loves Momma and Jesus and he sleeps at the foot of my bed. My Pootie is the ears of the world and would bark if a bird passed gas in the woods 500 yards from the house.

My entire yard is fenced........and I get meaner with age..

So if something actually DOES get into our house? It's going out in a body bag.

GET A DOG.......they allow you to sleep better.......you NEED a dog.

Abbey

Spork Queen
No guns, and a dog would probably eat my birds. Hmmm... Now a farting dog might be a good defense.

Abbey