School District, Outside Evaluation and Possible major cuts to Special Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iloveturtles

Our school district has had some report done on the Special Education Progams District wide. We are a fairly large district consisting of 6 High Schools, 10 Middle Schools and around 30 elementary schools. This doesn't include any of the alternative schools or programs.

They are talking about mainstreaming ALL of the Special Education kids in the district. Plus many other cuts to the programs. Teachers, aids etc gone. Putting the principals of the schools in charge of the Special Education for the school.

I am very nervous for all the students of our districts. Sports have gone to pay to play - even though illegal in our state so can't be enforced.

Our district, our state's education program is in the toilet. Upcoming IEP's will be interesting.

I

iloveturtles

It is really bad in our school district. Plus more cuts coming from the state soon.

Sheila

It will be a problem -- no doubt.

However, the lack of school district funds cannot be used as an excuse to not appropriately education your children in accordance with-IDEA. "Main streaming" all kids with an IEP does not equal an Independent Education Program.

Status
Not open for further replies.