School project on Conduct Disorder - Please help!

Debbie MA

Hello CD board,

Cheryl has kindly allowed me to post the following.

I am a long-time member of the CD board (I even remember Mama Bear!) and I have recently gone way out of my 49-year-old comfort zone and signed up for a master's level psychology class (gulp).

The professor has assigned a project to be done in small groups. We are to identify a “community problem” and, after reviewing research on the subject and talking to community members, determine possible causes of the problem. My group has selected Conduct Disorder as a community problem to research.

Our small group of three has interviewed school principals and school counselors to get their opinions on the causes of CD. I feel that these views need to be balanced by the opinions of parents actually living with CD.

If you have a child who has, or who has ever had, a diagnosis of Conduct Disorder and you would like to help me with this project, please contact me via e-mail at [email protected] or PM me here and answer the questions listed below. Your responses may be shared as part of the assigned paper but no names, even board names, will be shared with the class or with other members of my group.
  • If you feel comfortable doing so, please provide the age of diagnosis, sex and race of your child and whether you live in an urban, rural or suburban area.
  • What do you think are the “causes” of Conduct Disorder?
  • What do you think are the risk factors for CD?
  • Are there protective factors?
  • How is CD treated and are treatments effective?
  • What is important to know about CD?
Thanks,

Debbie